A Legit Fairy Tale Princess Married To A(what People In Here Call)nw6 Subhuman.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
:)
I love Rohmer, did you like "Ma nuit chez Maud" (My night at Maud's (I don't know how the tittle translate) in which they talk about Blaise Pascal?
And Dreyer <3 (Joan of Arc was so beautiful I felt Christian right away: for the anecdote the film was not supposed to be mute but it went on fire!!!! )
I also like Magnolia a lot.
You should watch "Van Gogh" by Pialat ; "Le salaire de la peur" by Clouzot.

I'll add those to the list, adored A Nos Amours by Pialat but yet to see to watch a Clouzot, I wanted to watch it in a double feature with Friedkin's Sorcerer.

Yes Passion of Joan of Arc was one of the most moving films I've ever seen, we have a quite a decent cinemateque here that showed it on a film 35mm print with a fairly sparse but effective live piano score about five years ago. My night at Maud's is among my favourites of Rohmer, the Moral Tales being my favourite of his collections.

Ahhh that's interesting you say that about Death in Venice, that was also playing at the cinemateque in a Visconti series but I missed the bus on the way and didn't end up seeing it. Rocco and His Brothers was phenomenal though, they played a restored 4k version and it was certainly one of the most beautiful looking films I have ever seen. The ending was very on the nose and lacking in subtlety though if I remember, it felt like something tacked on by the studio for the sake of a less in-tune audience.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude,you're a hardcore cinephile!
There will be Blood is a masterpiece.
I can't stand Bunuel to be honest.
Have you seen the Spirit of the Beehive and Cria Cuervos?

Interesting about Bunuel, is that an issue with surrealists in general, his humour, what do you find unappealing about them? His films are definitely less lyrical than many of the films I watch, also some degree of teenage recklessness and immaturity but I enjoy that. His insights on social commentary, psychology and particularly instances of hypocrisy appeal to me.

Been meaning to watch Cria Cuervos for a long time, I saw Spirit of the Beehive on TV arbitrarily when I was 12 and only beginning to enjoy cinema but liked it quite a bit, but only recall the atmosphere, colours and the little girl.

Also Salo is legitimately a very beautiful movie despite how one might think that is a joke. John Waters thinks the same.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Quartier Lointain was a very touching movie...Believe it or not i cried for some reason...Pure nostalgia.
No, but I'd love to watch it.
You haven't seen it??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I envy you...This movie literally changed my perception of the world.
It's the funniest and most disturbing film at the same time.
Isolate yourself one night and watch it alone in the dark...Do me this favor.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh how could I forgot Hable con Ella! by Almodovar. That movie is insanely beautiful to me...

Yes I absolutely love Almodovar too, especially his earlier comedy infused work like Women on the Verge and Tie me up Tie me down.

Still hoping for Eustache HD restorations soon, I tried to watch The Mother and The wh*** but didn't last more than a few minutes on a terrible looking DVD rip. I feel I am doing a disservice to myself and the film if I watch things that aren't either HD or a genuine film print.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I miss 35mm man:(.

We have a few cinemas In Australia that still regularly screen arthouse and classic cinema on 16 and 35mm, mainly in Melbourne though unfortunately. The cinemateque in my state seems to be phasing it out for the most part although it gets a few good film print screenings per year for films I'm interested in still. One of many cultural related reasons I want to move to Melbourne soon.

Maborosi was also one I saw in 35mm.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How come noone has mentioned Lost Highway and Mulholland drive?
Or Funny Games by Haneke?

If you had to recommend me only one film guys,which one would it be?

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not the most beautiful film I have seen, but it's a movie that makes me feel good (and not in the sense of the "feel good" contemporary injonction), really a good movie : Adaptation (Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman)

Seems like The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...I'll watch it...I promise.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
How come noone has mentioned Lost Highway and Mulholland drive?
Or Funny Games by Haneke?

If you had to recommend me only one film guys,which one would it be?

I still need to see the latest Haneke. Piano Teacher or Cache likely my favourite, although his filmography is for the most past incredible.

Genuinely think Lynch's masterwork was the new Twin Peaks season.

It isn't necessarily my favourite film but one I think that isn't talked about enough and is and hugely visceral is Elem Klimov's Come and See. Also one of many entrance points into Rohmer, maybe My Night at Mauds or Love in the Afternoon.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's 5:45am here guys...I'm leaving you...I have to prepare the ritual to welcome the sun..Like Zarathustra:)

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Me too! Something about Hable con ella just moved me even more... the poetry emanating of an absolut disturbing scandalous act... the men talking to their feminin side, the toreador scene... and the dance scene from Pina Bausch (who I loved too).
It reminds me that, to me, someone I found very close to my sensitivity is Wim Wenders. I know it sounds very arrogant in a way but I think I am interested in the same things as him. Loved his documentary on Ozu (Tokyo Ga).
My fav Pasolini is The Gospel according to Matthew

Sorry I write a lot, but it's kinda of nice to have this conversation

Have you seen Wenders Road Trilogy? Kings of the Road was the next thing I was going to watch.

At the opposite end of the spectrum my favourite Pasolini's by far are the Trilogy of Life films. Scathing satire, loving and celebratory humanism, filthy toilet humour, ample sex and beautiful women, the set design, the look of the actors and costumes, the loose freewheeling episodic structure and earthy, raw colour palettes. Mmmm.

I might opt for that Eustache for the time being then, more likely to survive 50 minutes of DVD quality rather than 4 hours ala Mother and wh***.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
That "Cuck" word, that really offends me. Please, just SHUT THE f*** UP about it.

1517887747996.gif

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop cutting yourself.

Your hair doesn't look that bad in the picture, what are you complaining about?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I f you're not a mod or a friend of them in real life,then @Wolf Pack and @Roberto_72 are pussies for letting you ridicule them.
If we were pussies, @Wolf Pack and I would have already banned you a while ago.
We just think people like you are not interesting, banned or non banned.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If we were pussies, @Wolf Pack and I would have already banned you a while ago.
We just think people like you are not interesting, banned or non banned.
You would have banned me for what reason exactly?

And you are right....I'm an egoistic and obnoxious moron...Ban me for that?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
You would have banned me for what reason exactly?

And you are right....I'm an egoistic and obnoxious moron...Ban me for that?
That's a starter ;-)