4 years on finasteride and Rogaine [NEWEST pics page 14, May 12 '12]

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 3 years on finasteride and Rogaine (with pics) [new pics on page 5]

It still looks great, but I can understand you wanting more improvement at the hairline. You could consider using spironolactone cream or even RU if you don't get the results you want with the higher concentrated minoxidil.

Thanks for the update.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score

Your hair looks great, I can't believe you had no improvement on your hairline/temples after such a huge vertex/crown success...

To me the minoxidil seems to work even better on the temples than crown, so maybe you just need to find what works on your hairline. If minoxidil is really not working there I would try Miconazole and S5 cream for a few months and see what it does, maybe some other things the guys might suggest..

Reibun

Reaction score

Looking great! Honestly I can't even tell you are balding in any way.

Two questions.

Where do you get your Nioxin products from?

Did you have bad dandruff and/or hairloss with alot of white heads on it? And if so is it still going on?

Thanks, and good luck with future growth and maintenance.

anew

Reaction score

I've decided to (re) take the plunge, which I was leaning towards, but this thread was the straw that broke the camels back...

Going to quickly tell my story in case there are others like me, hopefully they can give me feedback (positive or negative)

Noticed hairloss aprox. 1.5 - 2 years ago. Thinning around the vertex, noticeable in some lights, but generally not too bad. Decided then and there to start taking rogaine (easily available) and did research and within a few months was ordering propecia online.

Stopped taking the rogaine, but continued with the propecia for about 9 months or so, noticed no side effects, no increased growth, but no loss either. Around the 9 month mark I saw something about how the fake drug market was a multibillion dollar industry, so I decided it would be best to look into getting a legit prescription to make sure I was on the real deal.

About 7 months ago I got the propecia perscription and began taking it. About a week or so into taking it, I decided on a whim to search "propecia side effects" in google (I had never looked into it before beyond the standard stuff reported by Merck).

After being horrified at what I saw, I began OBSESSING over the potential for side effects and IMMEDIATELY started noticing "sides." I couldn't have sex or masturbate without analyzing how horny I was or how hard my dick was or what the consistency of my sperm was. Naturally, all this obsession led to me basically placebo-ing my way into having sides that may or may not have actually been there. I abruptly went off propecia a few weeks later .

Flash forward 6 months (back on rogaine about 3-4 months ago) and my shedding has gotten much more severe than it ever was. While this could be due to the rogaine, I think it is very likely that I was getting the real deal online all along, and I'm now hitting the point where I'm losing what I should have been naturally losing this whole time.

While people should take the sides seriously, I think that if you do decide to take the plunge, you need to understand that it is VERY possible for you to inadvertently WILL yourself into having sides by obsessing too much. You need to either go for it or don't. That being said, I'm giving it another shot. My hairloss is noticeable, though not OMG noticeable (in casual conversation or at a bar nobody would notice, if you come up behind me while I'm at my desk in a well lit office you'll see some thinning), so I'm a perfect candidate and its really a now or never proposition.

Anyways, I'll let you all know how it goes! All I really wanted to get across in this (my first post) is that the placebo effect can be negative as well!

Oh and Rawtashk I dig your style - lose the blue wristband and snag some wayfarers and you'll really be rocking it.

double edit: Oh and is that a fuckin DEUS EX tattoo? I'm not huge fan of tats but thats kind of badass.

Rawtashk

Reaction score

The band is for my 5 year old cousin who's suffering from brain cancer. I know, not too fashionable, but I wear it anyways.
(it actually broke last week, so I'm not wearing anything)

HELL YES it's a Deus Ex tattoo! First tattoo I ever got, and the best game of all time :)

anew

Reaction score

Oh man I'm so sorry! I didn't even think about that, I just usually don't like bracelets - I'm sure you understand no harm was meant by the comment.

Rawtashk

Reaction score

No worries, it's not like you knew :)

So, are you a fellow Deus Ex fan?

Ryansworld11

Reaction score

Gret results dude! you have really thick hair and covering your slightly receding hairline should be no problem, if you didn't pull it back in the first few pictures I wouldn't been any the wiser! You might not get much more improvements there but hey it looks good, minoxidil should maintain that for the foreseeable future, as for the crown, it has improved greatly, I'd say you've beat your male pattern baldness there! Keep it up!

I looked back in pictures from my childhood and noticed I had quite a big forehead and my hairline has always curved in a norwood 1 style, today (1 year 6 months) on the big three improvements there aren't huge but its slow if not stopped the recession. Thats all one can ask!

Good luck and keep sharing your success, you'd be surprised how much it helps the rest of us!

Rawtashk

Reaction score

I was on .5mg, so I don't think you're on too low of a dose. In fact, I would suggest that people w/o a decent amount of hair loss start at a lower dose so that there's an option to ramp up the dosage at a later date if need be.

I didn't see much re-growth in the first 3 months. Truthfully, I kinda just forgot about it for a while and tried not to obsess about it. I took pics about 9 or 10 months after I started, and that's when I really noticed that I'd had decent regrowth.

anew

Reaction score

Huge Deus Ex fan - original was one of the best, if not the best game ever.

Btw - did you stick w/ the .5mg or did you ever go up to 1mg?

I just started again 3-4 days ago. Like you, I'm just taking it and not worrying about it - not obsessing over hair, not checking everyday, just taking it and maybe taking a picture every month or two to track progress.

Thanks again for the success story.

Rawtashk

Reaction score

Original Deus Ex was so much better than the second. I have high hopes for the Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Pre-ordered the augmented edition and even upgraded my computer with an Eyefinity card and triple monitors! So...we'll see how that turns out.

I actually went to 1.25mg of finasteride recently. I'm trying to get a bit more regrowth before I make the move to LA, and I'd noticed the thinning hairline more and more and it was starting to bother me. So far, so good.

anew

Reaction score

The second was an abomination compared to the first. Because of it I'm definitely skeptical of any new releases.

Re: your dosage - Cool, I'm starting at .5 right now and will prob up it to 1mg after a month or so. All I can say is that I'm positive that I induced sides in myself when I last took it by obsessing over things too much, and your success story has really helped me just not worry about things. So thanks!

Nene

Reaction score
Re: 3 years on finasteride and Rogaine (with pics)

finfighter said:
CWC1998 said:
Nice story ... so you get finasteride from 4rx.com? I'm really wanting to find a cheap alternative to my $240 ProPak every 3 months, but to afraid to take the risk I guess.

I'll be posting my story soon on here ... I've had good results with Propecia 1mg daily and Rogain Foam 1 to 2x daily.

Just get a script to 5mg finasteride, it's $9 for 30, 5mg tablets at walmart.....

Is that w/o insurance?

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

^I don't know why but my insurance pays for my 5mg finasteride in the pharmacy. It didn't use to do that, they use to tell me my insurance doesn't cover it, now they don't tell me anything and I don't have to pay for my 30 5mg finasteride.

Even with it being free, I don't want to have only 30 5 mg pills there. I use 1.25mg a day. I can't explain it, even though it lasts about 3-4 months to finish, it's always in my mind that it's going to finish. I just want to have a bunch of finasteride there, a whole year supply, so that I can be free of thinking when it's going to end. And I think I wanna get on dutasteride anyways.

BTW really good results thread starter.

Rawtashk

Reaction score

So, I believe the 15% minoxidil/AA is helping out my hairline. I can't find a product that lets my hair still look and feel "normal" when it dries, so I'm using foam in the mornings and the liquid 15% solution before bed.

I can count about 20 new shorter hairs around my forelock, and many of them around the temple region as well. Sadly...I can't really pick them up with my camera phone because they're mixed it with the normal length hairs, but I assure you that there are some new hairs there.

This could also be regrowth from my month on dutasteride where my hairline shed like a mo-fo. Regardless, I'm glad to see some hairs reappearing.

Also, my hairloss in the shower has been cut down to about 1/4th of what is was before bumping up to 1.25mg of finasteride. So, I'm pretty excited about that too :)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Sorry if this has been asked before but how many months would you say it took before that thin spot filled in?

I have almost exactly the same loss you did and have been on finasteride and minoxidil for about 7 months now but that spot is still a bit thin and especially noticeable if my hair is wet.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Rawtashk said:
So, I believe the 15% minoxidil/AA is helping out my hairline.

Cool, which brand of minoxidil did you go for?

Reaction score

Any shrinkage? I like my junk at least as much as having hair.

Rawtashk

Reaction score

I didn't get a hard-on and then measure the day that I started on finasteride...so I can't tell you with 100% certainty that there has be not even the smallest change. However, I wank it with a fair regularity, and I am 99.84% sure that it's still the same size.