24M, significant diffuse thinning and receding hairline - is this salvageable?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im 3.5 months in still but yeah, my hair is definetely improving already. My surgeon claims dutasteride is much more effective than finasteride for the midscalp/crown. I don't see any scientific evidence about that claim but he had like >1000 patients already and is saying it based on experience and seeing many cases.
Dutasteride is garbage. After 1.5 years on it My hair was alot thinner. Thinning has slowed down alot after quitting it and being on finasteride instead. Dutasteride raise T too much.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is garbage. After 1.5 years on it My hair was alot thinner. Thinning has slowed down alot after quitting it and being on finasteride instead. Dutasteride raise T too much.
You are the exception, check every trial and meta analysis comparing every Finasteride dosage vs Dutasteride dosage, dutasteride always comes up in hair count by far in every single trial.

You are a <1% case situation that maybe is more sensitive to T than usual

You can always use dutasteride + RU/pyri or any topical AR silencer to avoid the extra T exposure tho

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are the exception, check every trial and meta analysis comparing every Finasteride dosage vs Dutasteride dosage, dutasteride always comes up in hair count by far in every single trial.

You can always use RU/pyri or any topical AR silencer to avoid the extra T exposure tho
Wont touch Ru with a ten foot pole again. Im doing OK for now thank u very much.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep coping and downvoting me based on your 1-man sample about your dutasteride experience lol

Results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasteride​

(https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(06)01287-4/fulltext)

1656972392207.png

even 0.1mg dutasteride has better results than 1mg finasteride

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

You can always use dutasteride + RU/pyri or any topical AR silencer to avoid the extra T exposure tho
i felt like i was on steroids on dutasteride, I became unusuall strong. Damn T boost. I already had low T and dutasteride raise T more in People with low T than high T

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

He is not the exception.I ve been on finasteride. for the last 14 months,but just for the hell of it i ve tried duta back in May for just 2 weeks.It gave me that horrible itch(excruciating itch) that took 2 weeks to go away.Duta is dangerous.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not saying you are lieing, I dont understand what part about you are a minority and the exception you didn't understand yet. Its annoying you keep fearmongering other people that is interested in improving their hair loss based on your only experience disregarding all science whatsoever lol

I have consulted with several trichologists and surgeons who have in-clinic experience with thousand of patients and all of them agree dutasteride is the strongest treatment in most situations with most empirical results. I would rather trust science and doctors with real experience case than random paranoid people in the internet, just making sure no1 is nocebo'd by you

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
He is not the exception.I ve been on finasteride. for the last 14 months,but just for the hell of it i ve tried duta back in May for just 2 weeks.It gave me that horrible itch(excruciating itch) that took 2 weeks to go away.Duta is dangerous.
Same

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lmao you tried it for 2 weeks and quit because your itch increased... dutasteride half life is extremely long, it takes weeks to accumulate in the follicles so if you quit finasteride cold turkey into dutasteride theres a period that you will have increased DHT until it accumulates enough. I also had sides for a few weeks while switching which subsided

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not saying you are lieing, I dont understand what part about you are a minority and the exception you didn't understand yet. Its annoying you keep fearmongering other people that is interested in improving their hair loss based on your only experience disregarding all science whatsoever lol

I have consulted with several trichologists and surgeons who have in-clinic experience with thousand of patients and all of them agree dutasteride is the strongest treatment in most situations with most empirical results. I would rather trust science and doctors with real experience case than random paranoid people in the internet, just making sure no1 is nocebo'd by you
Are you having a bad day dude?Hold your horses,it was just a statement based on my own.experience.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
lmao you tried it for 2 weeks and quit because your itch increased... dutasteride half life is extremely long, it takes weeks to accumulate in the follicles so if you quit finasteride cold turkey into dutasteride theres a period that you will have increased DHT until it accumulates enough. I also had sides for a few weeks while switching which subsided
I was on it 6 months. It’s not for everyone dude

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you having a bad day dude?Hold your horses,it was just a statement based on my own.experience.
was answering to the other guy in that one, not you

not a bad day, but this PFS-like anti dutasteride propaganda triggered me esp. when someone is worried about improving and people is fearmongering him out of it when the chances it works worse than finasteride are sub 1%. In any case the sides are reversible after stopping, so literally no reason to not try upgrading.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
An old timer here called TIMI maintained on finasteride for 14 years and switched to dutasteride and was on it for a year. His hair went to sh*t real Quick.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

not a bad day, but this PFS-like anti dutasteride propaganda triggered me esp. when someone is worried about improving and people is fearmongering him out of it when the chances it works worse than finasteride are sub 1%

not a bad day, but this PFS-like anti dutasteride propaganda triggered me esp. when someone is worried about improving and people is fearmongering him out of it when the chances it works worse than finasteride are sub 1%. In any case the sides are reversible after stopping, so literally no reason to not try upgrading.
You trust the science,i do too,but i also pay attention to real world experiences of members on here.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok so why literally not a single study reflect that? you trying to say unproven internet anecdotes is more reliable than the trials published and what doctors claim it does to their patients?

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think all this debate has to do more about Testosterone impact on balding than dutasteride vs finasteride... the science is very inconclusive in this regard, some say the impact is none or negligible while others say it is impactful enough. We know dutasteride raises more T than finasteride, so that's the most logical outcome. Most likely the majority of population is waaay more sensitive to DHT than T but in these cases its similar or even flipped.