24M, significant diffuse thinning and receding hairline - is this salvageable?

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To put into perspective what dealing with AA is like for me, I thought I’d post quickly about how different each day can be when you have thin hair after my last post showing how thin it was - I felt I couldn’t do anything with it. However, how your hair rests can change its appearance dramatically - this shows the importance of both proper hair care (conditioning) and having a good barber that understands your hair type. For finer hair, my barber suggested styling wax powder and it really is great - it adds volume and holds thin hair in place, with no compromise in the appearance of density. Sure, it doesn’t grow hair, but our goal is to have the appearance of a fuller head of hair.

As stated in the last post, I have upped the minoxidil dose to 5MG daily, and I aim to be more consistent with ketoconazole shampoo and needling. See you guys soon :)

Attachments

• 25139D95-6727-47F7-841A-99EFC1A9F442.jpeg
    25139D95-6727-47F7-841A-99EFC1A9F442.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 0D4C80A9-D024-4E0B-90E8-A806B02FD7C0.jpeg
    0D4C80A9-D024-4E0B-90E8-A806B02FD7C0.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 0DDE0C2A-1083-4806-8F7E-D13CE8A29196.jpeg
    0DDE0C2A-1083-4806-8F7E-D13CE8A29196.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 243

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
To put into perspective what dealing with AA is like for me, I thought I’d post quickly about how different each day can be when you have thin hair after my last post showing how thin it was - I felt I couldn’t do anything with it. However, how your hair rests can change its appearance dramatically - this shows the importance of both proper hair care (conditioning) and having a good barber that understands your hair type. For finer hair, my barber suggested styling wax powder and it really is great - it adds volume and holds thin hair in place, with no compromise in the appearance of density. Sure, it doesn’t grow hair, but our goal is to have the appearance of a fuller head of hair.

As stated in the last post, I have upped the minoxidil dose to 5MG daily, and I aim to be more consistent with ketoconazole shampoo and needling. See you guys soon :)
Awesome stuff. That’s such a great point, cut and style aren’t talked about enough on here. You are one of the best posters on these forums. Thank you for your contributions.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn, you didn’t have much hair 18 months. You should be on your way to a slick dome by now. Congratulations! But even I feel anxiety about the inevitability of meds stopping working. The catch up loss would make me a recluse. Serious question, how long can finasteride and min users keep these gains?

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn, you didn’t have much hair 18 months. You should be on your way to a slick dome by now. Congratulations! But even I feel anxiety about the inevitability of meds stopping working. The catch up loss would make me a recluse. Serious question, how long can finasteride and min users keep these gains?
Sure, and this is an inevitability I’m preparing for

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Awesome stuff. That’s such a great point, cut and style aren’t talked about enough on here. You are one of the best posters on these forums. Thank you for your contributions.
What would be your thoughts on a hair transplant at this point? Not that I'm planning to get one any time soon (and I would have to think a lot about a decision like this) - certainly want to give the meds a while to even out after changing them.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
What would be your thoughts on a hair transplant at this point? Not that I'm planning to get one any time soon (and I would have to think a lot about a decision like this) - certainly want to give the meds a while to even out after changing them.
If you can maintain this for a while then you may not need one for a long time. I would definitely wait a bit and see what happens. You really want to get one only until after things progress, not before. That way, you can see the pattern of loss and predict which hairs are going to fall out. Thus, your transplant won’t just regrow dead zones, but can also reinforce the areas that are prone to loss in the future. It’s also important to have a consistent long term regimen already in place, and you’re still trying to see what works best. So I would hold off for a while.

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can maintain this for a while then you may not need one for a long time. I would definitely wait a bit and see what happens. You really want to get one only until after things progress, not before. That way, you can see the pattern of loss and predict which hairs are going to fall out. Thus, your transplant won’t just regrow dead zones, but can also reinforce the areas that are prone to loss in the future. It’s also important to have a consistent long term regimen already in place, and you’re still trying to see what works best. So I would hold off for a while.
So you're kinda saying see where my hair settles from the meds once I have a set protocol? Do you think there would be benefit in contacting a hair transplant practice and having a consult? I think I'll do a post showing photos without hair combed over in this fashion - the coverage is not as good as the previous photos showed. Also, my hair has gotten quite long which I think in this situation may be contributing to the appearance of thinness. I have a haircut booked for Friday, I think I will ask them to reduce the length on top. But the right side of my hairline is really lacking hair atm (but it has always been my worst spot).

Last edited:

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you're kinda saying see where my hair settles from the meds once I have a set protocol? Do you think there would be benefit in contacting a hair transplant practice and having a consult? I think I'll do a post showing photos without hair combed over in this fashion - the coverage is not as good as the previous photos showed. Also, my hair has gotten quite long which I think in this situation may be contributing to the appearance of thinness. I have a haircut booked for Friday, I think I will ask them to reduce the length on top. But the right side of my hairline is really lacking hair atm (but it has always been my worst spot).
Yeah that’s the gist of it. Just sit back and wait basically. I don’t see the point of consulting just yet. Save your money and do that later on. Who knows, this regimen might sustain you for a decade or longer. But you are right, hair length really depends. If my hair is too short then it looks thin in a certain way. Same thing if it is too long. Somewhere in the middle is best for me. It also helps to cut it longer or shorter in certain areas, even asymmetrically. Maybe tell them to leave your right side longer. The direction you style your hair is very important too. You can also consider some concealers.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats man, sick results. Although the comparisions are buzzcut origin vs long hair now so it's hard to know exactly how much the progress is but its undeniable its pretty big!

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
probably gonna shave it soon anyway, feel like I’m mega shedding or losing hair again, will post on here if I do :)

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
probably gonna shave it soon anyway, feel like I’m mega shedding or losing hair again, will post on here if I do :)
yeah pls if you do!

You are my main source of hopium tbh, as I started with similar starting point to your case. I have progressed a lot but nowhere as good as you yet. But I never let my hair grow long yet so i'm curious how noticeable is it when shaved.

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score

damn nice results

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still mega shedding or losing hair, so as a diffuse thinner, this is always my backup. pics attached. Will be more strict with my topical min, don’t feel the oral has been as effective. Stopping topical cold turkey was a mistake I think.

Attachments

• 095F12CA-BF6A-45FB-98F1-534590D1B96C.jpeg
    095F12CA-BF6A-45FB-98F1-534590D1B96C.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 165
  • D8467B97-406F-443B-AA0C-D7C87C104E3E.jpeg
    D8467B97-406F-443B-AA0C-D7C87C104E3E.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 166
  • F3C287BD-9625-4CD2-BD66-1CD96A832BF5.jpeg
    F3C287BD-9625-4CD2-BD66-1CD96A832BF5.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 166

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good improvement indeed but shaved head reveals the truth as I suspected.

I think Topical minoxidil is necessary when wounding btw. All studies of microneedling used topical minoxidil for the proven upregulation of WNT. You could use topical next 1-2 days after wounding only maybe.

Its always hard to see that in reality most of your hair is still slightly minituarized and not fully terminal. But when you have long hair you don't look like balding, so that means its not even needed to reach 100% terminal for good cosmetic result anyway.

Thats why with thinner/miniaturized hair its very important to fraud your hair to look as thick as possible with the right hair products. Human brain can't rly distinguish much after the head looks full of hair.

Also a good high-density hairline transplant with terminal hairs can ascend your hair so hard. The crown hair doesnt rly matter if its thinned out as long as scalp doesn't reveal. No one is rly gonna look at it and strong hairline makes the false impression of amazing head of hair.

Last edited:

welshman123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah pls if you do!

You are my main source of hopium tbh, as I started with similar starting point to your case. I have progressed a lot but nowhere as good as you yet. But I never let my hair grow long yet so i'm curious how noticeable is it when shaved.
How short do you keep it?

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
fade on sides/back and guard 5-6 on top max, because if I let it grow longer the DUPA/difusse thining in crown starts to show density difference with rest hair and need to use too much hair fibres to hide it

I will get a high density hair line transplant soon for frauding a full head of hair though, I hope it allows me to rock a longer style. I think a strong hairline is rly important if you are letting your hair grow as the eyes will only pay attention to that area.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at this guy, he didn't have a single hair transplanted out of hairline, but the brain somehow registers that he has much more hair in every area if he has better hairline. I seen many examples already
1656874387894.png

1656874338771.png

1656874347333.png

1656874363851.png

the stronger hairline can now afford much longer hairstyle and looks fuller everywhere despite 0 hairs transplanted on midscalp/crown

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
bottom line is I tried many times to rock longer hair but I must accept you look like f*****g sh*t until you have a NW1 hairline lol. Crown and midscalp is not even important... as long as scalp is not visible