21 Y/o With Reasonably Big Decision To Make

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
To start, without the hair, I would probably give you a 3 out of 10 and with the hair probably a 3.5 out of 10. Do keep in mind that the only people who I would rate a 10 would be top supermodels, as I rate on a number of factors. In terms of your age, without your hair, you look like you are about 10 years older. That being said, as other posters have mentioned, you have a good head shape for a bald look, and I think with a beard to add balance to the face, would have the same rating compared to having a full head of hair. I do, however, respect you for accepting that you are losing your hair.

I hate it when people use autism as an insult. But... do you have autism?

YoungNeurotic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Christ, how trigger-prone is this forum? The OP's the sanest person I've found on the forum so far. I don't see how my critique is 'autism.' Get a leash.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Christ, how trigger-prone is this forum? The OP's the sanest person I've found on the forum so far. I don't see how my critique is 'autism.' Get a leash.
I have no problem with what you said, man. In all cases, there's going to be a natural range of opinions on someone's appearance and I appreciate the honesty (precisely what I came to the site for). That said, I honestly feel I'm perceived roughly the same attractiveness buzzed + beard vs. with hair (as you indicated) and have decided to go that route.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Not sure he suffers from Autism, but seems a definite case of *ss-hole Syndrome.

To the OP, I think you look great shaved. The only thing that matters is that you like how it looks. If you do, get on with enjoying your life. You don't want to still be on this forum ten years from now, complaining about losing the last ten years of your life to hair loss, and updating us on your current regime. Believe me...

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure he suffers from Autism, but seems a definite case of *ss-hole Syndrome.

To the OP, I think you look great shaved. The only thing that matters is that you like how it looks. If you do, get on with enjoying your life. You don't want to still be on this forum ten years from now, complaining about losing the last ten years of your life to hair loss, and updating us on your current regime. Believe me...
I definitely recognize this and don't plan on sticking around here long. It's just the first few months can be a bit rough, what with everyone busting your balls and knowing you gotta move on at 21 y/o and pretend it doesn't bother ya in the least (for best social results). I know this is the better route for my long-term mental health than some intense regimen, but I dread the idea that I might be limited socially as a result of my new appearance and that this fate is totally out of my hands despite being outgoing, funny, etc. But such is life, people get cancer in their 20s too guys.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, you look a good looking dude to me, and I don't personally believe a shaved head will harm your social life in the slightest. You have to remember as well that a lot of young guys shave their head by choice, and not with the understanding that it will make them a social leper. If I liked how it looked shaved I would probably do it even without hair loss. I mean, who can seriously be assed with all that faffing about with their hair every morning, let alone when you're combating hair loss and all the extra effort that goes with that. I know guys that blow dry their hair every morning. For me that's a masculinity fail right there :p

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lavishous

You're really not bald to the point where you have to shave your head. It's a brave decision on your
part.

Your head shape is good for it, but personally I think you look better with grown out hair.

I get it's harder to manage wavier/curly hair, as I have that hair type myself.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those pics of me with decent hair are from way back in highschool. I'm a legit NW3V these days (crown already started going in highschool) and I simply do not look near my age with the diffuse sh*t up there. Here's a shot from last summer (peak of seb derm/terror scalp) vs. a buzzed pic I took just now. Think I basically lost the war already w/o ever starting to fight back, just wanted to make sure I won't be turning heads everywhere I go and can live normally.

https://imgur.com/6xKsg65
https://imgur.com/FNK2ZGf

I see what you're saying now.

Not asking this to be mean. Did you ever have something to cause traction alopecia (dreadlocks, or something
pulling your scalp, long hair by itself won't cause baldness).

My baldness was "classic Norwood", and started from my hairline. It didn't get diffuse in the vertex area
until much later in life.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see what you're saying now.

Not asking this to be mean. Did you ever have something to cause traction alopecia (dreadlocks, or something
pulling your scalp, long hair by itself won't cause baldness).
Nope, but I did have serious scalp problems that I never dealt with or gave a sh*t about until recently. There was a brief period where I could literally insert a full fingernail into my scalp that's how swampy it was. Fucked up sh*t lol. It's mostly fixed nowadays, so maybe that'll slow things down a tad.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, you look a good looking dude to me, and I don't personally believe a shaved head will harm your social life in the slightest. You have to remember as well that a lot of young guys shave their head by choice, and not with the understanding that it will make them a social leper. If I liked how it looked shaved I would probably do it even without hair loss. I mean, who can seriously be assed with all that faffing about with their hair every morning, let alone when you're combating hair loss and all the extra effort that goes with that. I know guys that blow dry their hair every morning. For me that's a masculinity fail right there :p
Even if I had results with my current minimalist regimen and got sufficient hair back, I'd go with a buzzcut anyway but quite a bit longer. The old seth rogen jew fro wasn't doing me any favors. The tom hardy buzz + beard is an epic look, especially with full coverage. Unfortunately I can't do the longer fade on top thing he does because the diffuse sh*t really starts to show up. Thanks a lot for the comprehensive response man, so far no ones treated me all that differently so I suppose my shaved appearance isn't too much of a horror show that I can't move on with life.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was about to say that, @Lavishous.

A longer guard would probably be a good look for you, that and Pomeade added. By that,
I mean a number seven guard, possibly an eight.

Pomeade is easy to do, can look professional, and only takes one minute to do.

Your hairline has definitely receded, that said, I think you have thick hair on top.

You might as well enjoy the hair on top while you still can.

Unfortunately, sometimes really short haircuts bring attention to things that our out
of our control.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was about to say that, @Lavishous.

A longer guard would probably be a good look for you, that and Pomeade added. By that,
I mean a number seven guard, possibly an eight.

Pomeade is easy to do, can look professional, and only takes one minute to do.

Your hairline has definitely receded, that said, I think you have thick hair on top.

You might as well enjoy the hair on top while you still can.

Unfortunately, sometimes really short haircuts bring attention to things that our out
of our control.
I really for the time being, I can really go above #1 guard on top or else the weird diffuse pattern starts to show up. I'd only go to a longer guard if I get decent regrowth or something (which I probably w/o finasteride). So ultimately I'll probably only go closer and closer until slick bald from here on out, which I've kinda come to accept as long as I don't look extreeeemely odd.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anybody have luck with essential oils (peppermint, castor, etc.)? Also, any more thoughts on the buzzed/shaved look would be awesome (thought at this point I fully committed to it).

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you kinda look like a mix between those two. You look good bro
Appreciate it brotha. I guess its just uncanny watching your appearance shift so abruptly, but if you're all telling me I look like a normal bald dude then I'll take your word for it.