21 Y/o With Reasonably Big Decision To Make

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
G'day gentlemen. As it currently stands, i just buzzed my head to a 1 after a couple years of aggressive thinning (crown, diffuse top) through college. I'm fairly content just going the au naturale path of nizoral only then eventually switching to clean shaving and moving on with life, as I personally think bald w/ beard can work on plenty of young fit males (google raul meireles, travis browne) and I'm not a cosmetically-oriented person by any stretch of the imagination. The question as I see it is if I can consider myself among these lucky individuals. I don't necessarily need to be particularly handsome (never really was) or even above average, just don't want to be a legitimate head-turning bald freak as you see occasionally (due to head-shape, proportions, etc.) and would take my chances w/ various drugs to avoid that societal fate. Can't trust friends to be honest so figured this would be a good way. Even as a NW3V for the past year, didn't have much trouble with the ladies or socially in general and would like for something vaguely akin to that to continue. Attached 3 pre-buzz photos and 3 post-buzz photos. Other relevant metrics; 21 yrs old, 6'0" barefoot, 180lbs, pretty jacked. Lay it on me boys!

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are definitely not a Norwood 3, you are norwood 2. But you do rock the buzzed look pretty well, your head shape is normal so i dont think you will have to worry about going slick bald.. unless you got a birth mark or big mole that you didn't mention?

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are definitely not a Norwood 3, you are norwood 2. But you do rock the buzzed look pretty well, your head shape is normal so i dont think you will have to worry about going slick bald.. unless you got a birth mark or big mole that you didn't mention?
No birth marks or anything, just some residual white dandruff patches I gotta work out somehow. Really appreciate the reply man, let me know if I can help ya out with anything.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No birth marks or anything, just some residual white dandruff patches I gotta work out somehow. Really appreciate the reply man, let me know if I can help ya out with anything.
I respect you for owning the hand nature dealt you. I however am doing anything i possibly can to stop my hair loss, which includes taking potentially dangerous drugs.. not fun but its for my peace of mind!

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
6' can work. From your pics I think you may be ok if you go this route. Add some more muscle mass though. It's an imperative part of unleashing the bald beast.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I respect you for owning the hand nature dealt you. I however am doing anything i possibly can to stop my hair loss, which includes taking potentially dangerous drugs.. not fun but its for my peace of mind!
Believe me I fully understand the pain. If I was a shade more appearance-focused, I'd jump on propecia + rogaine in an instant. I always rocked a gross unstyled jew-fro anyway so that's a big part of my apathy. Hell I may end up going the drug route in the end! Do NOT in any way feel guilty about your decision, those not in our shoes really have no business making a judgment on what is or isn't masculine/principled.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
G'day gentlemen. As it currently stands, i just buzzed my head to a 1 after a couple years of aggressive thinning (crown, diffuse top) through college. I'm fairly content just going the au naturale path of nizoral only then eventually switching to clean shaving and moving on with life, as I personally think bald w/ beard can work on plenty of young fit males (google nick oliveri, travis browne) and I'm not a cosmetically-oriented person by any stretch of the imagination. The question as I see it is if I can consider myself among these lucky individuals. I don't necessarily need to be particularly handsome (certainly never was) or even above average, just don't want to be a legitimate head-turning freak as you see occasionally (due to head-shape, proportions, etc.) and would take my chances w/ various drugs to avoid that societal fate. Can't trust friends to be honest so figured this would be a good way. Even as a NW3V for the past year, didn't have too much trouble with the ladies or socially in general and would like for something vaguely akin to that to continue. Attached a pre-buzz photo and two post-buzz photos. Other relevant metrics; 21 yrs old, 6'0", 175lbs, very fit. Lay it on me boys!

Much better shaved. Looks well. You will be all good in life

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Googled them... They don't look good at all! One looks like a heroin addict, another is a professional MMA fighter with 6'7" height.

110_2017-03-11-0005-copy.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
your beard isn't great

you do not look freak either

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're fine. Use finasteride to keep remaining hair and you will do fine with buzzed cut.
But do ya think my social days are fully doomed once the hairline is gone and I decide to go clean-shaven? I definitely see the whole "your forehead becomes infinite" thing now and don't like it one bit.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, you look better with a shaved head.
You look a bit like Nick Olivieri, the great bassist.

Lavishous

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, you look better with a shaved head.
You look a bit like Nick Olivieri, the great bassist.
Lol I've been playing bass seriously for like 10 yrs too. Such a compliment. Seems like every decent metal band has the obligatory shaved head bassist.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But the beard requires DHT to fill in! Balding leads to some pretty gnarly paradoxes.

it requires but not tons. I got thick beard on finasteride also so w/e

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You look fine. I would shave the beard down to a 2-4 gaurd if you're going for the athletic look. Long beards are for hipster types lol. Also if you're going for athletic wear tighter shirts, you gotta show the V shape and some arms breh. Only mentioned the clothes because I would sure as f*** show it off if I wasn't a fat f***.

The other thing I'll mention, which was the decider for me, is that some women won't date bald men. Just how it is. Of course there's plenty of other reasons women won't date men, like being short, fat, ugly, uneducated, smoker, poor, not their race or culture, not athletic enough, in debt, etc.... Prolly 80% of men have at least one trait that cuts them off from a significant part of the dating pool so it's not so bad. Balding is still something I would like to avoid if possible, but to each his own.

It really only affects your dating prospects when you're young. In 30s-40s hairloss becomes so common that women are fairly accepting of it.

Weigh the risks and decide if it's worth it to you. I'm a bit of a risk taker so I said f*** it and got on finasteride. The majority of my friends losing their hair didn't treat it, eithier because they didn't like the risks of finasteride or because they wanted to roll with what life throws at them.

Last edited:

YoungNeurotic

My Regimen
Reaction score
G'day gentlemen. As it currently stands, i just buzzed my head to a 1 after a couple years of aggressive thinning (crown, diffuse top) through college. I'm fairly content just going the au naturale path of nizoral only then eventually switching to clean shaving and moving on with life, as I personally think bald w/ beard can work on plenty of young fit males (google raul meireles, travis browne) and I'm not a cosmetically-oriented person by any stretch of the imagination. The question as I see it is if I can consider myself among these lucky individuals. I don't necessarily need to be particularly handsome (certainly never was) or even above average, just don't want to be a legitimate head-turning bald freak as you see occasionally (due to head-shape, proportions, etc.) and would take my chances w/ various drugs to avoid that societal fate. Can't trust friends to be honest so figured this would be a good way. Even as a NW3V for the past year, didn't have much trouble with the ladies or socially in general and would like for something vaguely akin to that to continue. Attached 3 pre-buzz photos and 3 post-buzz photos. Other relevant metrics; 21 yrs old, 6'0" barefoot, 180lbs, pretty jacked/gymcelled. Lay it on me boys!

To start, without the hair, I would probably give you a 3 out of 10 and with the hair probably a 3.5 out of 10. Do keep in mind that the only people who I would rate a 10 would be top supermodels, as I rate on a number of factors. In terms of your age, without your hair, you look like you are about 10 years older. That being said, as other posters have mentioned, you have a good head shape for a bald look, and I think with a beard to add balance to the face, would have the same rating compared to having a full head of hair. I do, however, respect you for accepting that you are losing your hair.

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
To start, without the hair, I would probably give you a 3 out of 10 and with the hair probably a 3.5 out of 10. Do keep in mind that the only people who I would rate a 10 would be top supermodels, as I rate on a number of factors. In terms of your age, without your hair, you look like you are about 10 years older. That being said, as other posters have mentioned, you have a good head shape for a bald look, and I think with a beard to add balance to the face, would have the same rating compared to having a full head of hair. I do, however, respect you for accepting that you are losing your hair.
Just out of curiosity, how would you rate yourself on a scale from one to ten?