1mg finasteride journey

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Should I be considered safe in terms of balding? I’m starting to think I might not have the gene as I should have probably be receding heavily by now. Did your dad have recession mostly?
My dad at the beginning had mostly recession but then went to full NW7 early in life. There is a high probability you have the balding gene but it might not manifest itself until much later in life. And you might never reach the same as your dad if you use treatments. Unfortunately, you will never know until it happens. But looking at your hair, I think you will be fine now for many years as long as you continue with finasteride.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My dad at the beginning had mostly recession but then went to full NW7 early in life. There is a high probability you have the balding gene but it might not manifest itself until much later in life. And you might never reach the same as your dad if you use treatments. Unfortunately, you will never know until it happens. But looking at your hair, I think you will be fine now for many years as long as you continue with finasteride.
If my dad was nw3 at 21 yet I am still nw1 at 26, shouldn't have I started really balding by now as I am already 26 years old? That's the thing that I cannot wrap my head around.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You may have gotten most of your hair genes from your mother, grandparents, etc.
Well i did get my moms fine hair traits as my dad had more coarse/wavy hair. But this doesn't matter I think. Baldness only runs on my dads side, no balding at all from my moms side. There is more than one hair gene for hairloss?

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well i did get my moms fine hair traits as my dad had more coarse/wavy hair. But this doesn't matter I think. Baldness only runs on my dads side, no balding at all from my moms side. There is more than one hair gene for hairloss?
Hair is polygenic, from my knowledge.

I have dark brown/black hair (mom) and straight/wavy hair (dad).

Mom has wavy/curly hair and dad *HAD* (lol) brown hair.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
If my dad was nw3 at 21 yet I am still nw1 at 26, shouldn't have I started really balding by now as I am already 26 years old? That's the thing that I cannot wrap my head around.
I forgot you were 26. You definitely did not get an aggressive balding gene but you still carry the gene most likely. I told you before, I don't think you will ever be a high Norwood. Most likely you will still be a NW2 at the most in your 50's if you stay proactive with treatments. You are in good shape at 26.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's how it works, is not exact science. By grandfather went NW7 in his 40s while 2 of my cousins went in their 20s. One of them is a NW6 while his own father, son of my NW7 grandpa is a NW5.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I forgot you were 26. You definitely did not get an aggressive balding gene but you still carry the gene most likely. I told you before, I don't think you will ever be a high Norwood. Most likely you will still be a NW2 at the most in your 50's if you stay proactive with treatments. You are in good shape at 26.
Well the good thing is my finasteride shedding has kinda stopped at the start of month 3. My crown looks super thin though it’s tough going out in public I feel very conscious about it. Here’s how the top of my head looks. First two pics in red sweatshirt are today, last two in blue sweatshirt were back in December.

Attachments

• 77C03837-51FA-4337-81FA-E2B84EE166EB.jpeg
    77C03837-51FA-4337-81FA-E2B84EE166EB.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 83FA9FCF-2589-461F-8BBE-20AE7FEA230B.jpeg
    83FA9FCF-2589-461F-8BBE-20AE7FEA230B.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 1F4A3D88-CB16-49D4-9728-2B467087BEB8.jpeg
    1F4A3D88-CB16-49D4-9728-2B467087BEB8.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 87
  • EC8FD611-A318-45E3-8995-9DECE6396820.jpeg
    EC8FD611-A318-45E3-8995-9DECE6396820.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 75

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Well the good thing is my finasteride shedding has kinda stopped at the start of month 3. My crown looks super thin though it’s tough going out in public I feel very conscious about it. Here’s how the top of my head looks. First two pics in red sweatshirt are today, last two in blue sweatshirt were back in December.
No change. Did not get worse. And all you have to do is sprinkle some toppik on that spot and you won't see scalp if it bothers you that much. Don't over think it. Come back in 6 months again for another update. Don't spend anymore time on here. Enjoy your youth as much as you can.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No change. Did not get worse. And all you have to do is sprinkle some toppik on that spot and you won't see scalp if it bothers you that much. Don't over think it. Come back in 6 months again for another update. Don't spend anymore time on here. Enjoy your youth as much as you can.
Do you think my hair loss could be telogen effluvium and not Androgenetic Alopecia? as the back donor area is thin af too. I just wish I knew what could’ve triggered it. Now that I think of it my hair went from thick to thin in just 2 months! I just wish I could see a derm or trichologist I just don’t have insurance.

Attachments

• D2921EAB-145D-45B3-BBEA-4FC11CBDF60E.jpeg
    D2921EAB-145D-45B3-BBEA-4FC11CBDF60E.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 5DD4D3F9-2AA2-42B1-B621-875845CC0174.jpeg
    5DD4D3F9-2AA2-42B1-B621-875845CC0174.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 4DFB1B56-AFB8-477F-BC50-470A01BAACDB.jpeg
    4DFB1B56-AFB8-477F-BC50-470A01BAACDB.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 82

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I’m starting to think my hair loss could be telogen effluvium as the back donor area is thin af too. I just wish I knew what could’ve triggered it. I just wish I could see a derm or trichologist I just don’t have insurance.
You are not thinning in the back area. You have natural low density and straight fine hair. It's not a trait that guarantees you will be bald or it would have happened to me already. Your density seem even all over. You have an obvious cowlick. Your dark hair shows great contrast with your scalp so that fools you too. Like I said you are fine now. Take a photo of you hair wet and post it. It shows more of what is going on. Dry hair is very deceiving.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You are not thinning in the back area. You have natural low density and straight fine hair. It's not a trait that guarantees you will be bald or it would have happened to me already. Your density seem even all over. You have an obvious cowlick. Your dark hair shows great contrast with your scalp so that fools you too. Like I said you are fine now. Take a photo of you hair wet and post it. It shows more of what is going on. Dry hair is very deceiving.
Wet hair pics

Attachments

• 0E038B42-B594-479F-B52D-9CC562FEDECB.jpeg
    0E038B42-B594-479F-B52D-9CC562FEDECB.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 46F29403-C913-4916-AAD2-AF3D821B4BF7.jpeg
    46F29403-C913-4916-AAD2-AF3D821B4BF7.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 9623619F-2BB6-4C96-B7E7-86A5DBEA60EF.jpeg
    9623619F-2BB6-4C96-B7E7-86A5DBEA60EF.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 82

jd_uk

Reaction score
Remember, Finasteride is only helpful if you respond positively to it and not everyone does respond positively to it without side effects. The possible side effects are the main reason I only would recommend Finasteride as a last resort.

The 2% Ketoconazole used frequently can potentially give you the similar benefits as Finasteride, which is why I recommend you first trying to halt any possible hairloss or thinning with Keto Shampoo first.

You're actually lucky you have oily hair because frequent use of Ketoconazole can dry your hair, since your hair is oily you could probably use Ketoconazole every day even. It would be best if you can use it every day. Think of it as applying a DHT blocker/ anti-androgenic treatment to your scalp every day as opposed to only 3 times a week, it would locally block more of the hormones that cause Balding.

Your hairline looks exactly the same to me, most people would consider you a Norwood 0 or Norwood 1.

I noticed personally that using a Caffeine based shampoo has been very helpful to me to help stop shedding and make my hair feel thicker and stronger. I'm noticing an increasing amount of people on the internet also reporting that Caffeine Shampoo's help their hair.

There's quite a few studies about how Caffeine helps against hairloss. Some even said that Caffeine achieved the same amount of hair growth and hair stimulation as Minoxidil 5% at the 6 month mark.

I recommend using Alpecin C1 Shampoo, it's caffeine based. But you can use any other Caffeine Shampoo you'd like. I'm not here to promote Aplecin, only that it helped me.

Alpecin has a product called Alpecin Caffeine Liquid which is a tonic (topical liquid not a Shampoo) that can also be used exactly like Minoxidil, but without the side effects and without Making your hair dependent on it (such that when you stop use, unlike when you stop Minoxidil, your hair gains won't fall out).

Alpecin Caffeine Liquid should be applied twice a day, everyday for at least 6 months to see results. It is to be left in your hair the whole day.

You possibly have diffuse thinning, currently it does not look like male pattern baldness.

If you do decide to use the Alpecin C1 Shampoo and the 2% Ketoconazole Shampoo, then you can have a split like this:

4 days a week Ketoconazole Shampoo and 3 days a week Alpecin C1 Shampoo, with Keto Shampoo used once every alternate day and Alpecin Shampoo used in between those days.
Not wanting to be cynical but do you have any evidence that this sort of routine can work? (Note, I would love it to work as well as finasteride...I'm just quite doubtful). I'm also someone who has never taken finasteride but my hair has definitely thinned out over the years and it probably wouldn't have with finasteride.

Edit: I searched for the caffeine shampoo and found this which doesn't look so promising: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...advertising-standards-authority-a8276951.html

In what way did it help you?

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
What about the streaks where you can see scalp?
That's what you have to watch. Keep taking photos in the same lighting with the same hair length and compare it in 6 months. Hopefully, it might reverse or stay the same with finasteride. Your goal is to stabilize as regrowth is not always easy to achieve if you have minimal loss to begin with. Be patient as it its along process. It takes years to know how well it's working.

jd_uk

Reaction score
That's what you have to watch. Keep taking photos in the same lighting with the same hair length and compare it in 6 months. Hopefully, it might reverse or stay the same with finasteride. Your goal is to stabilize as regrowth is not always easy to achieve if you have minimal loss to begin with. Be patient as it its along process. It takes years to know how well it's working.
Is regrowth faster if there is more loss to begin with?

For those who can't use finasteride or dutasteride what would you recommend?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Is regrowth faster if there is more loss to begin with?

For those who can't use finasteride or dutasteride what would you recommend?
Regrowth is hard to predict for anyone but is easier to see improvement with someone who has major loss as opposed to minor loss. The rate of regrowth depends on how well you respond to medications too. Most people don't show signs of regrowth until at least 6 months due to hair cycles. I would at least try finasteride in a topical form to see how you do first. If not then you only have minoxidil which does not influence DHT so the gains never last long term. There are a few doctors who specialize in PRP that actually might help like Dr Greco. There may be some new treatments in the future but so far all you have is experimental treatments from China which I would never trust at this point after seeing how they created a virus that was meant to reset the world.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Regrowth is hard to predict for anyone but is easier to see improvement with someone who has major loss as opposed to minor loss. The rate of regrowth depends on how well you respond to medications too. Most people don't show signs of regrowth until at least 6 months due to hair cycles. I would at least try finasteride in a topical form to see how you do first. If not then you only have minoxidil which does not influence DHT so the gains never last long term. There are a few doctors who specialize in PRP that actually might help like Dr Greco. There may be some new treatments in the future but so far all you have is experimental treatments from China which I would never trust at this point after seeing how they created a virus that was meant to reset the world.
Thanks. The trouble is that even topical finasteride supposedly goes systemic and lowers internal DHT levels the same way as oral finasteride. For me the issue isn't just about the sides but because I'm an athlete I have a vested interest in keeping my systemic DHT at normal levels.

I guess you don't believe in things like keto shampoo or topicals like fluridil for lowering scalp DHT? Or the essential oil stuff?

I didn't think PRP did much... is that similar to dermarolling in terms of efficacy and method of regrowth?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks. The trouble is that even topical finasteride supposedly goes systemic and lowers internal DHT levels the same way as oral finasteride. For me the issue isn't just about the sides but because I'm an athlete I have a vested interest in keeping my systemic DHT at normal levels.

I guess you don't believe in things like keto shampoo or topicals like fluridil for lowering scalp DHT? Or the essential oil stuff?
Its not that I don't believe in it, I just found what works for me. You can try Proxiphen from Dr Proctor. Its not cheap but it does work for alot of people who tried it. I use Proxiphen too as I was told I would be a poor responder to finasteride. Dr Proctor claims that Proxiphen is more effective than finasteride according to what he learned in his practice. I do use a keto shampoo and other hair loss shampoos. I use a kitchen sink approach to my situation. You just have to be open to try new things. Most people won't do that.