[19M] Going bald, and I can't grow a beard

plo_bald

Reaction score
Jesus Christ no. I'm not going to take medications to mess with my DHT levels. I know that causes all sorts of sh*t that I do not want to.
I *know* there is an underlying condition that causes that (because :
- nobody in my family has started balding so young
- all of them have thick facial hair
- and they're all tall while I'm short, 5'5, I stopped growing when I was 14) and I want to know what it is.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe you were adopted

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
you can try slathering minoxidil on your cheeks if you want to try and grow a beard. i did that and my pseudo-chinstrap has been thickening ever since.

plo_bald

Reaction score
maybe you were adopted

Even if I were adopted (which I'm fairly certain I'm not), it would not explain my symptoms. Having male pattern baldness without any body hair (and without the other risk factor which is obesity and metabolic syndrome - I don't have that either) is almost unheard of.

Also, if you add the other symptom - my growth stopped when I was 14, it is very likely that I do have an underlying condition.

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don t want to be a rude, but you are in denial we all went throw that also
I m 6' 4" and I stoped growing around the time I was 15 or 16

plo_bald

Reaction score
Well ok, let's forget about my height for now.

There still is the fact that I'm balding :
- at 19 (actually it started when I was about 17)
- without a beard

Both of those things, I think we can agree, are highly unusual. The fact that they're happening at the same time is even more unusual.

So yeah maybe it's just a coincidence and shitty genetics.

But I would think that there is, maybe, the possibility of an underlying condition. It's not *that* unlikely. Does anyone know of such a medical condition?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bruh I'm going to be blunt with you, you're aggressively balding. It's not some "rare" medical condition, in fact it's very common (male pattern baldness). You probably could have saved/regrew some hair if you started treatments when you made this thread, but the past is the past. Don't let the finasteride sides scare you, I wish you the best.

Oh, and you can totally be losing your hair and not have a lot of facial hair. I can only grow a little big of stubble and I'm 22. Shedding like a dog.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to break it to you, but you are in serious denial. You clearly have male pattern baldness but refuse to accept it, and it is just going to keep getting worse if you don't do anything about it. I started balding around 19/20 and was in the same boat. I was constantly looking for other explanations but there is nothing else that would cause the receding hairline. I am now 22. I could not grow a beard whatsoever when I started losing hair and I still cannot grow one. I also have almost no body hair. Balding doesn't run in my family before 40 either. None of my Dad's or Mom's side of the family had anyone with hair loss at a young age. My dad actually has the youngest balding I know of, out of all my family and he started losing his hair in his 40s. I have 2 brothers, one younger and one older, and neither of them have any hair loss whatsoever. You hit the genetic lottery just like me bud, just gotta deal with it now. I jumped on finasteride at 20 years old and have had no side effects. I think it could be slowing my hair loss but it definitely has not stopped it. I recommend jump on finasteride if you are going to worry to the point that you are getting all these pointless tests done and just wasting loads of money. Kind of sad you are questioning whether you are adopted because of this. I hope you are not pushing your parents for all these tests because that is pretty brutal of a thing to claim.
Also I am almost certain I have read that beard growth is related to testosterone not DHT, so hair loss and beard growth would't be related.

plo_bald

Reaction score
Well my testosterone level was checked and it was normal, but really close to the upper limit (max was 30 nmol/L, I had like 29 nmol/L). Could that be the cause of my balding? If so, why can't I grow a normal beard?

mrmojorisin

Reaction score
Who else here has aggressive male pattern baldness with little facial hair but lots of body hair?

I can't grow a beard for sh*t but my legs and crack are very fookin hairy

RD03

Reaction score
Depends on your country. My country has an average male height of 6'0 and my specific area has an average height of 6'1 among men between 15-24. Sorry to bust your dream but 5'8 is not at all average height, maybe if you count asia, india and all the small men nations. But that's not a representative statistic for the western world. Anything under 5'11 is short. 6-6'1 average and 6'2+ is tall.

plo_bald

Reaction score
Well I'm short by every country's standards, because I'm 5'5.

So, does anyone here know what can cause balding and no beard or facial hair, at the same time ?

ljb118

Reaction score
Well ok, let's forget about my height for now.

There still is the fact that I'm balding :
- at 19 (actually it started when I was about 17)
- without a beard

Both of those things, I think we can agree, are highly unusual. The fact that they're happening at the same time is even more unusual.

So yeah maybe it's just a coincidence and shitty genetics.

But I would think that there is, maybe, the possibility of an underlying condition. It's not *that* unlikely. Does anyone know of such a medical condition?

I was just lurking on this forum for the first time in over a year and stumbled across your thread. Decided to sign in and give you my 2cent.

Simply put; you're balding.

I've been in a very similar position to you. I began losing hair on my crown at 17/18. I started freaking out. The hairloss got worse when I went to college and I develop seb derm. I was shedding tons.

I got on finasteride at 19 I believe and never looked back. I'm 21 now. I don't have any noticeable hairloss and haven't experienced any sides. While I don't get morning wood sometimes, I put it down to my getting older. I'm still horny as hell.

I also don't have a beard - literally, no beard, whatsoever. This kinda annoyed me, but genetics are just that. Well, I started using minoxidil on my face about 8 months ago, and started seeing some good results (literally vellus hairs ALL over my face and neck). The results started to slow, and I moved abroad. I stopped using it for 2 1/2 months now and everything has disappeared again - with minoxidil on your face it's really important to carry on for at least a year if you want your gains to remain.

I'm planning on starting over on it again in a month or two. It was a nice feeling having a beard and I think eventually those hairs will turn terminal - if they did I'd have had pretty damn good coverage.

I never looked back at taking finasteride, I just went for it. It's better than losing your hair. Make the decision now or shut up, because in a year or two you'll be in a far worse place.

finasteride should hold me over until something better arrives in the future, and looking around today it looks like there are some promising things for that!

EDIT: And there is absolutely nothing strange about going bald and not having a beard, it's just unlucky.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'm short by every country's standards, because I'm 5'5.

So, does anyone here know what can cause balding and no beard or facial hair, at the same time ?

Brother, I don't mean to be rude, but you've asked the same question like 50 times and are not listening to people.

- walk around the mall for a day and observe people who are fair skinned, receding and grow no facial hair - there are a lot IT'S GENETICS
- My best friend is THIRTY FIVE and lost almost all his hair and can't grow sh*t on his face... he looks just like you from the top. His bro is the same way. Genetics!!
- there is NO condition that's going to cause the distinct male pattern baldness receding hair line and at the same time completely inhibit beard growth. GENETICS!

In short - you have male pattern baldness genetics and "lack of facial hair genetics"

if you don't believe us, go see a dermatologist. It's like science b**ch!! (see my avatar) Good luck man. :)

Bobster231

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is a hair piece out of the question?

What is your reasoning? Because you are afraid people will laugh at you? f*** other people and what they think. You are doing this for you. They are undetectable.

You would rather hope for death instead of trying a viable solution?

Newsflash. They look so damn good and are a good solution for guys.

Yeah I get you feel bad having to wear one but once it's on and done right you'll look in the mirror and feel better about yourself.

At least consider it while you save up for a transplant.

Ultimately you want your own hair. But it could be a stop gap solution in the mean time.

plo_bald

Reaction score
No, I wasn't trolling. Yes I'm balding and without beard, I showed pictures, I can show more if you want me to.

Assemblage23

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty sure op was trolling lol
I hope he is because this level of denial is just comedy goodness, sorry to be a d**k if the OP is being serious but he needs a harsch reality check before he wakes up as a NW6 (a matter of five years at most to this rate).

I was in such denial too, and I regret it EVERYDAY. Woke up at around norwood 2.5 with much thicker hair than the OP though.

OP: You are NW3.5 with thin hair. At 19 if I'm correct.

There is NO WAY to fight agressive hair loss without finasteride/dutasteride OP.

ESPECIALLY if you get a hair transplant. Which may not happen given your agressive hair loss and hair characteristics, doctors will turn you down unless you've shown to have stabilized your loss for a while thanks to FINASTERIDE.

Let it sink in, and make the only smart move there is (buy finasteride, not the one Dante suggests loool).

Last edited:

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If your serious op, you need to catch a grip. For 19 thats aggressive hairloss. You will be bald by 23 im guessing. As guys say. finasteride minoxidil and luck is your only saviour now