[19M] Going bald, and I can't grow a beard

RD03

Reaction score
I've already been to a ton of doctors (2 general practitionners, 2 dermatologists, 1 endocrinologist). I can tell you nobody cares about a balding 19 year old who stopped growing when he was 14. Maybe if my parents had taken me to the doctor back then... but well they are morons and they didn't.

Anyway, I've had my thyroid tested (TSH T4 fine), my pituitary (LH FSH fine, ACTH PRL cortisol slightly elevated but my doctor said it was normal and probably due to stress, SHBG fine but near the upper limit) and testosterone fine but near the upper limit too. White and red blood count are fine too.

The doctors did not test for growth hormone though so I'm going back Tuesday to ask for a IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 test.

Because there is nothing unusual about it. It's called **** genetics and early puberty. Welcome to the real and unfair world. Now you can either sit around and b**ch about it or take action and save your hair.

You're 19 years old, which means your bone age is likely around that too and that means your vertical growth plates have fused a long time. Even if you were to get growth hormone (which you aren't you are way too old) you wouldn't grow much if any at all.

plo_bald

Reaction score
Yes, the endocrinologist said I had early puberty and that my growth plates have fused.
However :
1/ I looked at the wrist radiograph they took and I think I still can see some growth plates (radiograph here : http://imgur.com/CZwOIvF what do you think?)
2/ Maybe my short height was caused by growth hormone deficiency, not by early puberty. Can growth hormone deficiency cause male pattern​ baldness? That's the question.

RD03

Reaction score
Yes, the endocrinologist said I had early puberty and that my growth plates have fused.
However :
1/ I looked at the wrist radiograph they took and I think I still can see some growth plates (radiograph here : http://imgur.com/CZwOIvF what do you think?)
2/ Maybe my short height was caused by growth hormone deficiency, not by early puberty. Can growth hormone deficiency cause male pattern​ baldness? That's the question.

Dude, take a look at a wrist with open epiphyseal plate and you'll see that yours have long a go fused. I'm sorry to say this, but if you had growth hormone deficiency you wouldn't have such fused plates at 19. If I remember correctly, wrists fuse at the bone age 16 (I can't remember the atlas correctly) and usually your bone age is a head of your chronological age. I bet you stopped growing vertically at the age of 13-14 already judging from that picture.

If your wrists were open, you would have separated bones just before your hand starts. Yours are clearly and without a doubt fused.

Growth hormone deficiency wouldn't cause male pattern baldness. Because male pattern baldness is a genetic "disease" which causes your hair follicles to be sensitive to the hormone DHT. And I do not see how growth hormone deficiency should boost your DHT levels or make you more sensitive to DHT.

I bet your parents are short, or at least one of them and I bet someone in your family suffers from male pattern baldness. There is your reason.

No amount of growth hormone will make you grow, nor will any sane doctor prescribe it for you let alone any insurance cover it. Save your hair and save money for LL surgery if your height really bothers you.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You need to have all your hormone levels checked, and without that people can only guess. I don't think the hair loss and inability to grow a beard are even linked, but that is a guess too. Was your father able to grow a beard? When did your father or other family first lose hair? Many men can't grow a beard so it is not necessarily a sign something is wrong.

RD03

Reaction score
You don't have growth hormone deficiency, that's easy to tell from your wrist. So why even bother going down that road? 5'5 is not even considered a heigh that's within the range of growth deficiency. That's usually 4'9 and below for adolescence (around 15+).

"The incidence of genuine adult-onset GHD, normally due to pituitary tumours, is estimated at 10 per million. Recognised effects include Increased 5-alpha-reductase" So obviously it can promote baldness. But you don't suffer from genuine adult-onset GHD.

plo_bald

Reaction score
I had a blood test for IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 and values were normal. So it's probably not growth hormone deficiency, is it?

Also, do you think taking testosterone supplements would help me grow a beard?

RD03

Reaction score
I had a blood test for IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 and values were normal. So it's probably not growth hormone deficiency, is it?

Also, do you think taking testosterone supplements would help me grow a beard?

You're 19, it's not normal to have a beard by 19.

Fix your hair and get on treatments. Your beard will come if you are supposed to have one.

shookwun

Reaction score
You're 19, it's not normal to have a beard by 19.

Fix your hair and get on treatments. Your beard will come if you are supposed to have one.

hows it not normal?

I was able to grow a full beard by 23 and consider this the average among others around me.

RD03

Reaction score
hows it not normal?

I was able to grow a full beard by 23 and consider this the average among others around me.

Beard is usually the very last stage of puberty and it's very few who are fully developed at 19.

How many teenagers do you see with a full, thick and filled in beard at the age of 19?... none.

Most people get patches of beard in their late teens early 20's and it doesn't fill in and become a fully developed beard before their mid/late 20's.

The difference from being 19 and 23 is quite big.

plo_bald

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea? Should I go see another endocrinologist?
How could I grow a beard, at least?

plo_bald

Reaction score
I still don't have a beard, my facial hair hasn't even changed in the past year. Also my hair is still falling. Should I go see another endocrinologist? What should I do?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I still don't have a beard, my facial hair hasn't even changed in the past year. Also my hair is still falling. Should I go see another endocrinologist? What should I do?

Why? You have male pattern baldness. A lot of men can't grow beards.

plo_bald

Reaction score
Well, having a large amount of body hair is correlated with having male pattern baldness. I don't have almost any body hair (I don't have facial hair almost at all, I don't have chest hair, the hair on my arms is very thin, but I do have hair on my legs). So I shouldn't have such an aggressive form of male pattern baldness, at only 19. There must be some other medical condition that causes this. What could it be?

EDIT : also the vast majority of men can grow beards. Or at least have *some* amount of facial hair, which I don't. I only have very thin facial hair and only on the top of my lips and chin.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, having a large amount of body hair is correlated with having male pattern baldness. I don't have almost any body hair (I don't have facial hair almost at all, I don't have chest hair, the hair on my arms is very thin, but I do have hair on my legs). So I shouldn't have such an aggressive form of male pattern baldness, at only 19. There must be some other medical condition that causes this. What could it be?

EDIT : also the vast majority of men can grow beards. Or at least have *some* amount of facial hair, which I don't. I only have very thin facial hair and only on the top of my lips and chin.

It's male pattern baldness buddy. I have very little body hair/facial hair and male pattern baldness. So do millions of other men.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...years-full-temple-regrowth-dutasteride.48633/

Read a story from nickypoo he didn t had any body or facial hairs but he had very agressiv balding (Norwood 3) at 18 and he also had a huge succes with dutasteride.