[19M] Going bald, and I can't grow a beard

plo_bald

Reaction score
Hello,

The title says it all. I'm going bald at 19 and I can't even grow a beard, which is pretty unusual because facial hair is usually associated with hair loss (I think I read somewhere DHT causes hair loss but also causes the beard to grow)

Do you think I simply have male pattern baldness ?
Or is there an other condition that can cause this ? Because if it is, maybe it could be treated and I wouldn't have to use minoxidil or finasteride (I don't want to use any of those, they have too much side effects).

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but I've had growth problems (I'm 5'5, I stopped growing at 14) and doctors couldn't find why. Maybe it has a link?

Thanks

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Genetically some men just can't grow beards, doesn't stop them from getting male pattern baldness though. Me and you buddy, we fall into the same bracket. If you wait your beard may fill in over the next few years but all the while your hairline will be receding so make your decisions.

shookwun

Reaction score
5'9-5'10 is average height for a Caucasian male.

RD03

Reaction score
**** genetics, basically. Many men suffer from baldness and many men can't grow beards. It's not that uncommon.

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
Go tell your doctor about your problem and ask him to prescript finasteride.

Give finasteride a try and if the first few weeks are all good then you can be happy since you will most likely keep your hair on it.

That's really all you can do if you wanna stop your loss.

plo_bald

Reaction score
Nobody in my family has started balding before 40. Also, all the men have "full" beards. So I don't think it's genetics. Well maybe it is, but I don't know how likely it is.

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
You are losing hair because your hair is sensitive to DHT, not because you necessarily got high amounts of it.

Thats why you are losing hair but cant grow a beard.

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps you could have Telogen Effluvium.

Go to your doctor.

plo_bald

Reaction score
What is Telogen Effluvium?

The problem is that nobody in my family has started balding early. All the men have a big beard. So genetically I don't understand how it's possible.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Im 26 and my beard is still coming in. My brother is 31 and can grow a full beard but couldnt at my age. Facial hair develops different for everyone. But yeah its most likely MBP. Some guy on another post was talking about apply minoxidil on his face i cant remember the thread though.

kjdiz

Reaction score
5'8, 20 years old and can't grow a beard either. I'm balding and it's gonna send me into a spiral of depression

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is Telogen Effluvium?

The problem is that nobody in my family has started balding early. All the men have a big beard. So genetically I don't understand how it's possible.

We can't give you reasonable advice, unless you post pictures and give us some history. Telogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium) is a physiological condition in which you start to rapidly lose hair. The normal ratio within the hair follicles is like 90% in anagen (growing phase) and 10% in telogen (resting, then shedding phase). Therefor, based on your hair density, a person with a "full head" of hair is losing about 50-150 hairs a day, depending on your hair type. With Telogen Effluvium, you start to lose more like 200-400 a day! It is definitely noticeable. You will see large amounts of hair falling out, and the general result is diffuse thinning over the head. Telogen Effluvium is triggered as a physiological response to a trauma to the body, i.e. surgery, drastic diet change, weight loss, medications, etc... It is generally self resolving and lasts about 3-6 months. I have had it like three times, and LET ME TELL YOU, it's devastating, especially when coupled with male pattern baldness...

That being said, you NEED to post pics and give us more details for advice. It is very possible you have male pattern baldness. It's also possible you don't. If you do, you generally have more noticeable thinning in the crown and temples. male pattern baldness can also present itself as diffuse thinning all over the scalp. 1) post pics 2) see a GOOD dermatologist asap 3) start reading up about finasteride, minoxidil, and ketoconazol shampoo and other supplements that support healthy follicle functioning. :2gunsfiring_v1::unsure: ( that's a gun shooting a worried, bald head.. it's metaphorical bro) :p

plo_bald

Reaction score
Here are some pictures : http://imgur.com/a/VhYio

I started noticing my hair loss in February 2015 (I was 18 years old) but looking at photos it had already started in August 2014 (or even September 2013 but I'm not really sure for that one as I can't find the photo)
Do you need other history?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest man that's pretty aggressive for 19. I would get on finasteride ASAP.