19 months finasteride...

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I am on Month 45, not sure. Things still good, I got inconsistent with my finasteride for about 2 months, probably taking it once every few days or so. Have been spotty on the Nizoral as well. Assuming my hair was at a 10 when I had no issue, got to a 7.0 at it's worst, and got back to a 9.5, I am currently at a 9.2, I think I seem to shed right as summer comes regardless, though, so no worries. Although, I typically use the Vive for Men and didn't this past month, so that could be it too, I can't really notice much of a difference, just when I get out of the shower. Not a bad deal at all considering 3.5 years ago I thought I was screwed. My buddies continue to bald, though. One of my good friends is considering the surgery. He kept popping on and off of finasteride because he just didn't think it would work, then the doctor told him the success rate is great when you stick to it, so he is back on finasteride and is in it for the long term.

blee7370

Reaction score
hi douggie..

I congratulate you on your success. I'm also a diffuser so its good news :)

How bad was your hair loss to begin with anyway? where abouts on the scalp etc?

I will host your picture for you if you want. PM me and i'll shoot you my email for you to send the pictures to

djthomas85

Reaction score
love hearing stories like this!

i jumped on finasteride almost straight away when i noticed i was thinning, but after 6 months on finasteride my hair is def worse than ever, hope it picks up like yours did.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss was worst at my part, and I was sparse in the front. The top of my scalp in the back has a cowlic so that was never perfect, but that area never troubled me. The thing I hated most was when it was wet, I looked nearly bald, now it looks fine.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I am almost 5 months in on finasteride and nizoral. I hope to see something happen good. Its very thin in the front and diffusing down the center and in the vertex. I hope things turn around. Thanks for the good news. I just want to see some pics...proof

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Pics sent, descriptions below since I didn't have before pics...

The pics of the top of my head:

Vertex area has always been like that, the cowlic and a 2 inch scar have made that look like that since I can remember so I don't think much improvement there. I remember someone telling me when I was 16 that I was balding at that spot which was right around the time I got the scar up there.

Hairline was sparse, very sparse, particularly on both sides near where the part(s) would be. The center area of my scalp was much more visible at baseline, I got continual sunburns on the top of my head and any time I would put sunglasses up there there would be 2 ski slopes from the nose piece. If I assume these pics to be 100% coverage (They are not, btw), I would say I was at about 80% or so at worst. I grew my hair out when I started finasteride so I am not sure how I was affected in the initial shed. I do remember that my second shed was bad and, because I had cut my hair, very noticeable. Don't remember much after that, but I remember thinking I would have to grow my hair out again.

The pic of my part:

This was where most of my problem was. There was between an inch to 1 1/2 inch of no coverage at baseline, probably vellous hairs. I pulled the area up so you can kind of see where that area isn't quite as thick as the rest. Second shed this area sucked big time. Don;t remember much else, I am kind of re-tracking from what I have in this thread. I do remember thinking I was going to quit somewhere around this point, but let it keep going. From there, I think everything was gravy.

So, that is all I can piece together. Unfortunately I didn't have a cam when I started and I have no baseline pics so you will just have to take my word for it.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude (blee7370) is going to host them and put them up, I emailed them earlier today.

blee7370

Reaction score
As promised:

DSCF0701.jpg

DSCF0699.jpg

DSCF0698.jpg

DSCF0697.jpg

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hair looks healthy!

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Douggie...

13-14 Month shed douggie?

just last month my hair was looking the best it has for ages, i was able to style it and it even looked reasonable wet...

now, as i enter my 14 month on propecia was hair looks crap again, probably not as bad as the initial shed but still a bit of a kick in the spuds. do you think it will recover stronger again?

any thoughts appreciated.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
To the poster above...Sorry never got back, how did things go?

50 months in, not much to report. Hair is better than it was during my last post, my guess is best it has ever been since the start. I can spike my hair with no probs, actually the only time it looks iffy is if I have stuff in my hair from the night before and wake up the next morning. No probs out of the shower, but the bathroom where I live now has dimmer lights so hard to tell. Haven't done Nizoral in a while, thinking of starting it again soon because I still get little pimples on my scalp from time to time.

that_dude

Reaction score
Hey Douggie.. man Im glad I found your post..

My situation is diffuse thinning like yours... have a few questions did you recede at the templtes initially? and if so did that get better with finasteride?

I was on finasteride for about 6 months straight and hair just kept getting worse... there were times I felt like it was maintaining.. but as time progressed my hair kept getting thinner and I kept losing hair.. anyway then about 2 months ago I went off it, and after a few weeks a huge shed.. so now Im back on.. been a month, my hair is really thinning and falling.. I thought I had a thyroid problem, but the test just came back, and I apparently don't.

Your post gives me inspiration.. so all you used was Nizoral and finasteride? I am about to go head down.. 1 yr straight

And could u possible post your pix again? thanks

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have those pics anymore, someone else had them.

Quick update, stopped finasteride for 6 months and haven't been on nizoral for a couple of years. Thought I was past this because libido just got hammered when I decided to stop, but I have recently begun shedding big time. So, I fired back up and am back on finasteride again. Hair isn't bad, it just started shedding a month or 2 ago, but it has increased in severity as of late so I thought better safe than sorry. Sex drive normal, we will see what happens.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update douggie :)

I've been taking finasteride for about 20 months, I suffered a few sides for the first three months or so but I just put up with it, I do feel like it has helped me and I seem to shed more but it doesn't seem to affect my density.

Shame you never took before and after pics.

All the best

Lucky.

Reaction score
Lets think here guys.......Why do most women have a full head of hair? What is it that most men do and most women do not do? That could lead to hormone stricken disease of hairloss hmmmmm Both men and women have lots of sex? So i don't think it has to do with the activity of sex because both sexes do it often....So if its not sex that is the antogonist of our shrinking follicles then hmmm Now lets think.....OH i got it.....ORGASM....Throughout a womens lifetime they do not have near as many orgasms as a man does in his lifetime. Some never experience orgasms at all....yet they are the ones walking around with a smile on their face and a full head of hair...thick healthy hair. Our follicles are shrinking because the physiological effects that numerous orgasms can take on certain follicles of the scalp over time.

Reaction score
All these orgasms are a trigger to form the fertile male from his youth to a dominant male by producing the classic Male Pattern Baldness...Which is a sign of a sexually mature male due to not the activity of sex but the end result of numerous orgasms over time. This causes the female to be less attracted to a male with a balding scalp because that balding scalp is a sign to the female that the male has already found a mate for sexual activity.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
commonsense123 said:
All these orgasms are a trigger to form the fertile male from his youth to a dominant male by producing the classic Male Pattern Baldness...Which is a sign of a sexually mature male due to not the activity of sex but the end result of numerous orgasms over time. This causes the female to be less attracted to a male with a balding scalp because that balding scalp is a sign to the female that the male has already found a mate for sexual activity.

wow, close the book on it. this guy has male pattern baldness figured out.

obviously all my NW1 friends have never had an orgasm in their lives, poor fellas.

Reaction score
No not saying all men are genetically predisposed to this reaction but most of us are i believe....Most men masterbate alot ie. numerous orgasms. I would like researchers to focus on a study of the chemicals that are released through the blood into the scalp of a male with "genetic hair thinning" after 3 to 4 orgasms a week for 6 months to a year. It would be interesting if shedding increased and hair diameter decreased in the areas of male pattern baldness at the end of the study. I am currently doing a study on my own hair...I'm 25 and have pretty much a norwood 1.5...I started to thin at my crown at 22yrs old and then my temples started to thin a little....I had a surfer style spike hair style so i knew my hair was starting to thin..I freaked out and tried all the natural stuff and finally 6 months ago i got on proscar and i also take curcumin. but i noticed when i masterbated like 3 times a week my hair would start thinning out bad. So i decided to go as long as i could while on proscar just to see if the orgasms were doing anything. I could only last a month and that was hard as hell. but i noticed my hair was so much thicker and tiny vellus hairs started to appear on my temples...anyways i wouldn't bother writing anything on here if i wasn't trying to help another young guy that has just started thinning....I am starting to get confident that if your a beginner with regards to thinning i would strongly recommend getting on finasteride and taking curcumin with peperine and also the hard part try your hardest to with stand from having an orgasm frequently. I am confident if you do this your hair will start to grow back to being thick again.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting theory, but when I was your age I was hitting it 3 times a day before noon, the same for 6 years prior to and at least 3 years past. finasteride or not, I should look like Powter if your theory is correct. :)

Thought I would share another bit of info I just found out from a pal. He was in the same situation as me at around the same time. I never told him I noticed (Seems only dudes who are balding notice it when it is starting) when he visited way back when. Anyway, he eventually went to Bosley and they got him on finasteride to stabilize before a surgery, but he never had the surgery. He stayed on it for a couple of years or so and quit because he didn't think it did anything. Anyway, he came to visit not too long ago and we got on topic about it because I had just popped back on it. He mentioned he went back on it because it just went downhill when he went off and now it seems to be abating. He feels that he thought it wasn't working and once he got off he realized it was stabilizing at least. So, stick with it, the worst it can do is slow it down which is better than balding before you're 30.