[18m] Needing Your Opinion About My Hair

Hairlosshelp18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there,

Before you look at my pictures, I thought I should give you some background/context about my situation. I'm an eighteen year-old male who's always had thick and relatively long hair, no one brought the topic of hair loss to my attention, but with recently starting university and noticing my fellow students [18-23M] with differing hairlines and thickness/volume, and close friends of mine who are going bald, I've started to read more about male pattern baldness and started asking myself whether I'm going bald myself. I was denial when I first saw the images and the thought of going bald has made me sick to my stomach, I'm already depressed as I am and I've not been able to go to sleep because of the prospect of losing my hair, I've always seen people 'over-react' to the first stages of male pattern baldness and thought it was ridiculous, but my father told me that I'll have to go through it one day and I'll see how it is, guess today's the day. As for family history, my father is 56 and has pretty thin hair, a Norwood 3-3.5 would be my guess, and my grandfather had a full-head at 70 (although grey), whereas, my grandfather from my mother's side is bald at 65. I have an appointment with a dermatologist in 3 weeks; I thought I'll get your guys' opinions. The images show my, right temple, left temple, crown when I woke up with the sunlight, crown after a shower when wet, and crown after hair dried.

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 748
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 686
  • crown sun.jpg
    crown sun.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 690
  • crown wet.jpg
    crown wet.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 702
  • crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 690

guzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
also 18 started to loose hair when 17.hard to say exactly.its normal to loose some hair around your "left" and "right". but seeing as no one noticed you loosing hair ur probably fine. some one pointed out that i had a small bald spot. ive been there with the panic. use biotin shampoo. some one said that biota shapoo worked really well for them but ive never used biota only biotin.but right now if you haven't noticed any hair loss your probably fine.

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry dawg, looks like the start of male pattern baldness. You'e going to a derm and accepting that it's likely male pattern baldness so that's the first steps.

You still have good hair and Finasteride will stop that recession dead in its tracks. Good luck

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry dawg, looks like the start of male pattern baldness. You'e going to a derm and accepting that it's likely male pattern baldness so that's the first steps.

You still have good hair and Finasteride will stop that recession dead in its tracks. Good luck
Some recession doesn't always mean male pattern baldness, his recession is extremely minor and he is easily still Norwood 1. Balding or not, all I know is that I would kill for a hairline like his!

Hairlosshelp18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some recession doesn't always mean male pattern baldness, his recession is extremely minor and he is easily still Norwood 1. Balding or not, all I know is that I would kill for a hairline like his!

Hey, my hairline has no recession, nor do the temples, it's just the crown which I am worried about. I took a shower with nanogen shampoo and scrubbed pretty well, took a picture of my scalp after it dried and it looks fine, my guess is that because my hair wasn't washed properly in the past week or so, a lot of the hairs stuck together in clumps, it was pretty waxy and it accentuated my cowlick, that's my guess. I've gotten minoxidil to place on the region every day, as well as the temples to keep them as a NW1 for as long as I can.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, my hairline has no recession, nor do the temples, it's just the crown which I am worried about. I took a shower with nanogen shampoo and scrubbed pretty well, took a picture of my scalp after it dried and it looks fine, my guess is that because my hair wasn't washed properly in the past week or so, a lot of the hairs stuck together in clumps, it was pretty waxy and it accentuated my cowlick, that's my guess. I've gotten minoxidil to place on the region every day, as well as the temples to keep them as a NW1 for as long as I can.
Your crown looks fine but keep an eye on it. male pattern baldness can show up at any time unfortunately.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
@AnxiousAndy, you are becoming an expert on here. You are very supportive for those guys of your peers. Are you back on finasteride?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@AnxiousAndy, you are becoming an expert on here. You are very supportive for those guys of your peers. Are you back on finasteride?
Haha thanks, I sometimes spend too much time on this forum so that's likely to blame:rolleyes:. Not yet but I will be back on it in about a month, I'm sure by using the topical estrogen alongside the finasteride and oral minoxidil I will make some decent progress. How's your hair?

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now, nobody knows for sure how it will progress. To me, I think many here give this poor lad panic, I think his hair is more than fine. Now, you might go bald in five years or you keep most of your hair your entire life, nobody knows. But some minor recession isnt the end of it, and I think ur hair looks good.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Haha thanks, I sometimes spend too much time on this forum so that's likely to blame:rolleyes:. Not yet but I will be back on it in about a month, I'm sure by using the topical estrogen alongside the finasteride and oral minoxidil I will make some decent progress. How's your hair?
Its still getting slowly worse. But its hard for the public to notice. Only norwood spotters can see my problem.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its still getting slowly worse. But its hard for the public to notice. Only norwood spotters can see my problem.
Before I found this website and became a Norwood spotter myself I never noticed if someone was balding. Now I notice everybody's hair loss however minor it may be and find myself wondering if a guy with bangs is hiding something under it. Sometimes it drives me crazy, I can't turn it off I'm always consciously spotting lol.
Have you thought about adding anything new into your regimen like an anti androgen? (spironolactone, etc) or have you accepted your hair loss?

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing with "norwood spotters" is that they are observing everything and think everything is balding. Sure maybe you spot someone that is receding somewhat, but that doesnt mean automatically that the guy will bald. But norwood spotters seem to think every tiny sign of male pattern baldness is chaotic and disastrous. Its a dangerous thing, lol. Ive seen people posting pictures of perfect hair and some tiny tiny recession and people are like "oh year your balding, you'll be a nw3 in 2 years". Like wtf..

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing with "norwood spotters" is that they are observing everything and think everything is balding. Sure maybe you spot someone that is receding somewhat, but that doesnt mean automatically that the guy will bald. But norwood spotters seem to think every tiny sign of male pattern baldness is chaotic and disastrous. Its a dangerous thing, lol. Ive seen people posting pictures of perfect hair and some tiny tiny recession and people are like "oh year your balding, you'll be a nw3 in 2 years". Like wtf..
Yea its absurd when some guys make assumptions like that, you can recede to Norwood 1.5 - NW2 and stay there for years before it progresses, or you could lose it all in a few years. It's so damn unpredictable :confused:

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score

It's not the recession you worry about. There looks to be some miniaturization at the hairline and the crown is certainly suspect. At 18 years old I would not say this is a quality head of hair. This is how it starts for a lot of people.

It's always better to be overzealous with hairloss and nip it in the bud. Take it from somebody who has been Norwood 5/6 and in denial until you catch a glimpse in a public mirror and realise it's too late.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Before I found this website and became a Norwood spotter myself I never noticed if someone was balding. Now I notice everybody's hair loss however minor it may be and find myself wondering if a guy with bangs is hiding something under it. Sometimes it drives me crazy, I can't turn it off I'm always consciously spotting lol.
Have you thought about adding anything new into your regimen like an anti androgen? (spironolactone, etc) or have you accepted your hair loss?
I take finasteride and use Proxiphen. I started Lipogaine minoxidil sensitive scalp too to use every other day to minimize sides but its already causing the lines on my forehead to become more prominent again. I know this happens for a fact since I have quit minoxidil at least 10 times in the past 10 years. I know it works so I am trying to find the point where I can minimize my sides. Also I am trying the Lipogaine Big 5 shampoo. I like it alot. My next step will be a transplant so I can have some peace of mind with my hair.

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take finasteride and use Proxiphen. I started Lipogaine minoxidil sensitive scalp too to use every other day to minimize sides but its already causing the lines on my forehead to become more prominent again. I know this happens for a fact since I have quit minoxidil at least 10 times in the past 10 years. I know it works so I am trying to find the point where I can minimize my sides. Also I am trying the Lipogaine Big 5 shampoo. I like it alot. My next step will be a transplant so I can have some peace of mind with my hair.

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
These are photos of my hair line I'm not sure if my hair line has recovered a bit or got worse I'm over obsessing and need second opinions

Attachments

• IMG_2926.PNG
    IMG_2926.PNG
    578 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2927.PNG
    IMG_2927.PNG
    488.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2926.PNG
    IMG_2926.PNG
    578 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2927.PNG
    IMG_2927.PNG
    488.7 KB · Views: 251

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
These are photos of my hair line I'm not sure if my hair line has recovered a bit or got worse I'm over obsessing and need second opinions
What are we comparing it to? You have a great hairline. Thick and dense.

Woodymartz95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thankyou, but I posted two pictures twice I didn't mean to , the first picture is me with a pink shirt , and I'm comparing it to the second photo I'm not sure if my hair has regrown or it's receded making it look level if you know what I mean? If it has regrwon I'm still shedding, and tjay bothers me, I stupidly took steroids