17 Year Old Balding - Help I Don't Want To Go Bald

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not keeping my expectations high. I just wish to either slow down the progression or to maintain what I have. I have slight gyno. finasteride could aggravate it?

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride almost certainly will aggravate it if you have gyno already, but the main reason to stay away from DHT inhibitors is your age. Even a little bit of finasterade could change you hormonally for life at that age.

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride almost certainly will aggravate it if you have gyno already, but the main reason to stay away from DHT inhibitors is your age. Even a little bit of finasterade could change you hormonally for life at that age.
Would rogaine and nizoral be enough for a few years?

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would rogaine and nizoral be enough for a few years?
those will help the
Most besides finasteride. You said you have slight gyno now?? I would assume your hormones are off and that could explain hair loss... Whats your family history w/ hair loss? And are you on any daily medication? Like ssri's (Zoloft,paxil,prozac) or anything like that? They can sometimes cause hair loss

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ask because dr's pass those toxic meds to anyone and everyone far to often and they are serious drugs that shouldn't be taken lightly. That said, truly the best things you can do now w/ out finasteride is; rogaine, nizoral, a quality hair vitamin and a healthy diet. There really isn't much else unfortunately

Last edited:

Rakoczi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And they will be right.

A few days ago a guy committed suicide (he was 16 or 17) because of finasteride sides which he took at 16 years old to beat the hairloss. It fucked up his body.

where did you find out about this?

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
those will help the
Most besides finasteride. You said you have slight gyno now?? I would assume your hormones are off and that could explain hair loss... Whats your family history w/ hair loss? And are you on any daily medication? Like ssri's (Zoloft,paxil,prozac) or anything like that? They can sometimes cause hair loss
My father's side almost every male is balding. My grandfather is Norwood 7 and my dad is Norwood 5. They both started balding in their mid twenties. No I'm not on any medication

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My father's side almost every male is balding. My grandfather is Norwood 7 and my dad is Norwood 5. They both started balding in their mid twenties. No I'm not on any medication
ahh man...I was almost hoping you were on some medication that could explain it but w/ your family history its almost certainly male pattern baldness. That Morr f 3% Or 5% Could be a good option for you. Talk w/ your dr about it. Topical finasteride w/ minoxidil is supposed to work pretty well from what ive read. I hope the best for you man and good luck!

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not keeping my expectations high. I just wish to either slow down the progression or to maintain what I have. I have slight gyno. finasteride could aggravate it?
No, i always had a touch of gyno and when i gained weight a female friend made fun of my manboobs, but now i am even heavier and have smaller gyno than ever, 6 months on Finasteride actually made it better.

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, i always had a touch of gyno and when i gained weight a female friend made fun of my manboobs, but now i am even heavier and have smaller gyno than ever, 6 months on Finasteride actually made it better.
I am going to visit a dermatologist on Wednesday. Let's see how it pans out. I'll update on what treatment I decide upon.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
those will help the
I certainly think so too, his hormona are off and he need to see an endocrinologist as soon as possible. His dad lost hair mid 20ies, thats male pattern baldness, but at 16-17 its not, he obviously have a medical condition, gyno, hairloss, etc, thats not normal for a teen. Seek medical help when teens lose hair, always.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to visit a dermatologist on Wednesday. Let's see how it pans out. I'll update on what treatment I decide upon.
No, you need to see your Doctor and get referred to an endocrinologist, gyno and so early hairloss is very likely a hormone condition that can be treated, then your hair grow back with no hair treatment, but you still have to expect male pattern baldness when you are mid to late 20ies.

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, you need to see your Doctor and get referred to an endocrinologist, gyno and so early hairloss is very likely a hormone condition that can be treated, then your hair grow back with no hair treatment, but you still have to expect male pattern baldness when you are mid to late 20ies.
I'll get blood work done and then get it checked. My hair are thinning definitely and even my sides are. It's definitely male pattern baldness

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll get blood work done and then get it checked. My hair are thinning definitely and even my sides are. It's definitely male pattern baldness
your sides aren't typically going to thin from male pattern baldness, at least at first. hows the very back of your hair? Is it full like normal or is it thinning too? If your entire head is thinning at once i think that really points to a hormonal issue... Hey maybe you get the gyno issue fixed and subsequently your hair issue is fixed! That be pretty awesome

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be
your sides aren't typically going to thin from male pattern baldness, at least at first. hows the very back of your hair? Is it full like normal or is it thinning too? If your entire head is thinning at once i think that really points to a hormonal issue... Hey maybe you get the gyno issue fixed and subsequently your hair issue is fixed! That be pretty awesome
That would be amazing. The back of my hair isn't thinning . It's pretty thick

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So ive been diagnosed with male pattern baldness. Minoxidil 10% and finasteride 1mg. He says I'm pretty much done with puberty and if there are any side effects then he'll stop it. He's also given me a supplement along with caffeine shampoo

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok thats good, may i recommend something though: Its up to you of course but i would start w/ standard 5% minoxidil. Because if you use 10% 1. You'll probably have one hell of a shed at first and 2. your hair will be forever dependent on 10% minoxidil. The finasteride will do wonders for your hair alone maybe even give the finasteride 3-6 months alone. Then see where your hair is weakest then start minoxidil on the smallest area you can get away with. Of course its your body and your hair, but thats what i would do and thats actually what i did w/ myself. Glad you saw the dr and good luck!

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok thats good, may i recommend something though: Its up to you of course but i would start w/ standard 5% minoxidil. Because if you use 10% 1. You'll probably have one hell of a shed at first and 2. your hair will be forever dependent on 10% minoxidil. The finasteride will do wonders for your hair alone maybe even give the finasteride 3-6 months alone. Then see where your hair is weakest then start minoxidil on the smallest area you can get away with. Of course its your body and your hair, but thats what i would do and thats actually what i did w/ myself. Glad you saw the dr and good luck!
Should I talk to my doctor about switching to 5%?

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
I would do a 5% minoxidil and finasteride, If I were you.
A 10% is too strong.

But losing hair at the age of 17 sucks... :(