Zeroheat's Story-(Temple loss, Big 3, 962 days update pg37)

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Zeroheat's Story-(Temple loss, Big 3, Update pg 12)

@deadlocks: thanks!
I've on BIG 3 for about 8 months now.. proscar/kirkland minoxidil/nizoral combo. I tried various supplements in the beginning as well (green tea, black beans, vitamins) but I no longer take them. It has been purely big 3 for a while now. No change in diet/exercise neither.

I think I started noticing temple loss about 2 years ago.. it has been a very slow but steady process. I finally decided to take action 8 months ago because I felt the loss was accelerating.. best decision in my life, should've started long time ago.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score

My hair today, 1 hr after the shower, I think it finally looks natural

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 4,216

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

It's truely looking good man, consider yourself blessed.

I always wonder though. How do you apply your minoxidil? Do you apply it directly on the bald skin itself, or also into the hair itself? And how much do you use (1 ml is recuired they say in the manual, but I usually end up applying more)?

How old are you though? I'm guessing not much older than 22? I had temple hairloss for about the same time now. Yet mine looks more aggressive at the moment, especially considering my age (19 atm). So I'm looking for everything to change this situation. I'm even using Dutasteride twice a week now.

Did you ever notice side effects from finasteride?

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score

@deadlocks:
I try to apply them directly on the scalp.. and yes, when I initially started, I applied minoxidil directly on the bald skin in the temple region. Once small hairs started coming out, it was easier to apply. I use 1 ml per application (twice a day), I used to use something like 1.5 ml per but it gave me bad itching so I just use 1 ml now.

I'm 26, started losing at around age 24 so I don't think my loss is aggressive.. give me a link to your story and let me check it out.

I did have sides from finasteride, typical reduced libido/watery semen for the first 3-4 months or so. Everything is back to normal now, but I feel that my libido is down very very slightly.. maybe at about 90-95% of what it used to be. It doesn't affect my sex life at all though.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Your hair is so much better than it was in the beginning - holy crap.

Stories like these are very inspirational but the sad fact is that you are in a very small minority of people who get such results.

I've been on finasteride for almost 5 months with no change - in fact, I've actually lost some ground on my temples. I'd love to start minoxidil and use it aggressively, but the possible shed/permanent loss that some people experience scares the hell out of me. Plus there's no guarantee I'll even see results.

You were in a good position to try though because you were heading towards a high Norwood very fast. Like you said earlier - nothing to lose. But for me, it would be devastating to know that I ruined a good head of hair with minoxidil. I'm already worried enough that I'm causing damage by taking finasteride.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Re: Zeroheat's Story- (25/ losing hair and started Big 3)

Zeroheat, are youe asian? Genetically I mean. This is one of the best results I' ve ever seen, if not the best, and maybe race have an influence in some way?
By the way looking at your old pics you are right, you were a full norwood 2: temple loss was pretty deep and the top were starting to thin noticeably.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score

@Thickandthin: Yeah, I was afraid to start minoxidil in the beginning but my hair was going pretty fast, so I had nothing to lose. 5 months on finasteride is too early to judge though, ride it out and see what happens.

@IUbball22: I don't apply anything. I just let it dry that's all..

@Starscream: I'm 100% Korean. and yes I was NW2 heading towards NW3 pretty fast..

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

By coincidence I just saw a guy on the Italian forum who had a wonderful result and he was in a worst situation than you. His hair are blond so he must be caucasian.. :D anyway you' re now the second best result i see thanks to big 3. There are just some people like you that seem to be very good responder to fina and minoxidil and can recover hair in almost bald zone. I don' t know if my genetic/racial theory is right but oriental people (Japanese, Koreans etc.) suffer from genetic male baldness much less than caucasians. Black people too but I think orientals are the best.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

Starscream said:
I don' t know if my genetic/racial theory is right but oriental people (Japanese, Koreans etc.) suffer from genetic male baldness much less than caucasians. Black people too but I think orientals are the best.

There is definitely a difference between races and male pattern baldness frequency, but Asians and blacks don't have it that good. I think Indians, Native Americans, Middle easterners, and Hispanics are the best off.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score

wow, this is great, very inspirational. i can only hope i respond as well as you. although, in the next update could you pull the hair back so we can see the hairline?

also i have a question: im seeing a lot of differing opinions when it comes to going on rogaine- a lot of people discourage going on it straight away / with NW2 hair. could you or anyone comment on why this is and the validity of it? thanks :)

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score

kthxbi said:
wow, this is great, very inspirational. i can only hope i respond as well as you. although, in the next update could you pull the hair back so we can see the hairline?

also i have a question: im seeing a lot of differing opinions when it comes to going on rogaine- a lot of people discourage going on it straight away / with NW2 hair. could you or anyone comment on why this is and the validity of it? thanks :)
check pg 12 for hairline pic.. it's still very recent.

Regarding Rogaine, it's really your choice. Some people advocate using only finasteride for about 8-12 months before adding minoxidil.. because finasteride alone could give you enough regrowth so you won't have to use minoxidil (using minoxidil is a hassle).

I personally added minoxidil 1 month after starting finasteride/nizoral because my hair was getting so bad (shedding) and I really had nothing to lose. I personally think starting Big 3 right from the beginning is the way to go, but I can understand the logic of delaying minoxidil use.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

zeroheat said:
Regarding Rogaine, it's really your choice. Some people advocate using only finasteride for about 8-12 months before adding minoxidil.. because finasteride alone could give you enough regrowth so you won't have to use minoxidil (using minoxidil is a hassle).

Another reason why it might be logical to start with one medication is so you know which medication is giving you the most benefit. If you start using multiple treatments at once, it's anybody's guess. As far as minoxidil actually doing your hair harm, I think it's bogus. Minoxidil has proven its hair growing capabilities over and over again in studies and trials. I think people claim that it leaves them worse off because they stop using it after a shed.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score

IUbball22 said:
Where do you get your nizoral from? I'm using the 1%, but it doesn't sem to help with the itch.
I get my 2% from local pharmacy in Toronto.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score

Starscream said:
By coincidence I just saw a guy on the Italian forum who had a wonderful result and he was in a worst situation than you. His hair are blond so he must be caucasian.. :D anyway you' re now the second best result i see thanks to big 3. There are just some people like you that seem to be very good responder to fina and minoxidil and can recover hair in almost bald zone. I don' t know if my genetic/racial theory is right but oriental people (Japanese, Koreans etc.) suffer from genetic male baldness much less than caucasians. Black people too but I think orientals are the best.

can you link us to this forum? i wanna see pics :)

cam71101

Reaction score

To keep the hair that has grown with minoxidil, do you have to continue using the product? Or can you stop taking it after a while, continue to take propecia and keep the hairs that regrew with minoxidil? The only reason I ask is that I'm considering using minoxidil but I'm not sure if I want to have to apply the liquid everyday for the rest of my life.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

cam71101 said:
To keep the hair that has grown with minoxidil, do you have to continue using the product? Or can you stop taking it after a while, continue to take propecia and keep the hairs that regrew with minoxidil?
You have to keep using minoxidil to maintain any benefits. Finasteride will not keep hairs that minoxidil grew.

cam71101 said:
The only reason I ask is that I'm considering using minoxidil but I'm not sure if I want to have to apply the liquid everyday for the rest of my life.
You don't have to use minoxidil for life, you can stop whenever you want. Upon quitting, your hair will end up in the same state it would have been had you never used the drug.

someguy

Reaction score

Hey Zeroheat...

I found this thread somehow and read through all pages and it has motivated me to consider retrying the propecia/rogaine regimen. Congrats on your incredible success with the regimen. I have some questions that I hope you can answer:

I too am a korean guy in the mid-twenties. I think I'm right now at a Norwood II-III with a noticeable receding hairline at the front and temples. I tried rogaine foam for about 3 months but got discouraged since it only resulted in "peach fuzz". I then tried propecia (never both rogain and propecia together) for about 2-3 weeks but then I started experiencing those side effects (decreased libido, depression etc). So I got scared and quit and luckily my symptoms totally dissappeared.

After reading through your story, you mentioned that you did experience these symptoms as well but you kept at it... and eventually it went away and yielded a great hair regrowth success. I am getting very scared at all these websites warning propecia users of permanent side effects (impotence, male boobs etc) http://www.propeciasideeffects.com/.

What do you think? Should I give propecia another try? I've only taken it for about 2-3 weeks so it obviously didnt show any results but I did experience the symptoms. How strong were the symptoms that you were experiencing? Do you remember feeling depressed all the time?

Thanks, I hope you can get back to me.

- fellow korea guy

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score

@someguy: hello! ????? ^^

I strongly suggest you start both finasteride/minoxidil again. Start them at the same time. I did unbelievable amount of research before starting my regime, and that was my conclusion.. and as you can see, I've had a great success.

I had some serious side effects from finasteride for the first 2 months or so. I was shedding crazy amount of hair daily, and I had absolutely ZERO libido. I didn't even think about sex during this period. I was scared, but I was aware of these side effects before starting the regime.. I had done my research. I kept going because I knew that side effects were going to disappear eventually; even if they didn't, I knew I could just drop the regime and get back to normal. I didn't have any depression issues.

I could care less about all the other stuff out there (spironolactone, RU etc). For me, it's finasteride/minoxidil + occasional nizoral. I strongly suggest starting the regime right now and STAY ON IT NO MATTER WHAT! Give it 6-8 months and see where you are at. Stop reading horror stories at propeciahelp.com (oh please don't visit that site). Start the regime, take pictures monthly, save them and see how your hair is doing. Starting finasteride/minoxidil regime was a good choice, but STAYING with the regime and giving my body enough time to adjust was a better decision. Hey, we are all going bald, we have nothing to lose. Don't rush, start the regime and forget about it and see where you are at after 8 months or so. You might be in for a pleasant surprise!

someguy

Reaction score

Thanks for your quick response.

Looking at our 'before' pictures, I can say that I am at an IDENTICAL stage as you were. I dunno how old you were but seems like our situations are strikingly similar. My dad has a full head of hair also, but its from my mom's side (grandpa) who exhibited hair loss.

Anyways, I know everyone's bodies are different and they'll react to propecia differently. I want to know (if its okay) some more details of your side effects from your first two months. For me, I had decreased libido and watery semen discharge. It kinda felt like my penis was just there sagging and didn't react to anything, not even my girlfriend. It scared the crap out of me. Is this what you experienced as well? And how strong did your body return to normal after 2 months as it adjusted? You're sure you're completely back to 100% sexually? I want to convince myself that my side effects will dissapear also and not be a permanent thing as described on these propecia side effects websites.

I know I'm repeating the things you already answered, but this is a big concern for me. You said you did tons of research. What kind of findings did you find that convinced you to proceed even with the risk of side effects? Thanks man. You can send me a private message if you want... or I can give you my email...