Zarazakka's Story: The Big 3 - Round 2

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself here and give a bit of background on my story. I used to be pretty active on hair loss forums around 10 years ago, mainly on hair loss help where my username was Chino, so if anyone remembers me from back then, hey!

So, I started losing hair when I was around 17, I always had fine hair and a high hairline, but then it started going and fast. By my first year of university, I had longish hair and I was shedding short, fine and less pigmented hairs than my 'normal' hair. That and the fact that my hair density was depleting at an alarming rate, as well as temples receding, caused me to start researching hair loss treatments - and make my first mistake by wasting money on Nioxin.

Eventually I found decent hair loss websites with knowledgeable communities like this one, which I believe are invaluable in an individual's battles against hair loss, as there is so much mis-information and fake expensive products out there. Through these I started on finasteride when I was 19 years old. I kept kept all my progress pics and information on the hair loss help forum, but unfortunately now the web site seems to have been shut down, so I can't say exactly how long it took for me to see results. All I know is I added Rogaine Foam in a year later, when I was 20, and there are pictures of me when I was 23 and my hair was perfect, back to how it was when I was 16 years old again. My results were great, and I was really happy with them - but I decided to stop using them, I had other issues in my life, and hair loss took a back seat, especially as I'd already gotten my hair back.

After quitting, I didn't go through any massive shed, rather my hair just continued to thin as it naturally would have, albeit I believe staved off by a couple of years due to the treatments. I didn't care about my hair anymore, and I let it get bad to the point where my only option was to buzz it down - this was when I was 30, roughly 6 maybe 7 years after quitting treatments. I'd say I reached a NW4 with diffuse in a NW7 pattern - clearly visible.

I love a buzz cut, even though I don't have the head shape for it and have moles all over my scalp. I'm not bothered by hair loss, but I decided to give it one last go to save my hair - since I had such good results previously, I have high hopes for round two.

I started Rogaine Foam twice per day and Nizoral every other day on the 13th April this year (2017), and I started Finasteride on the 27th April. So far I have seen some regrowth at the hairline, a couple of terminal hairs which are yet to reach the same thickness as the rest of my hair, and a lot of vellus hairs as well. So things are looking positive :). I will post pictures to show my progress shortly, and will post regular updates to track my progress.

Cheers and good luck to you all!

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
when you were younger you applied minoxidil to your whole scalp ? or just hairline ?

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
when you were younger you applied minoxidil to your whole scalp ? or just hairline ?

Hey michel,

I used to apply it to the whole NW7 region, I would part my hair and apply the foam directly to the scalp in little blobs and rub in. Probably used about a capful maybe a little less each application. Back in the days when it wasn't scent free so it absolutely stank, of Gillette shaving foam pretty much, so glad it's scent free now! People actually used to comment on the smell.

Now I have my hair buzzed so I apply to my fingertips, distribute between both hands and then rub all over NW7 region. So much easier, and use about a quarter of a cap full each time.

Cheers!

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember not being entirely satisfied with my results after 1 year of finasteride, which was why I decided to add in rogaine foam. It's a shame I can't access my progress stories from other hair loss forums as I think they'd be really enlightening and I'm having a hard time remembering what progress was like as it was quite a long time ago. For certain though my best results were between years 2 and 4 - having started propecia at year 0 and added in rogaine at year 1. I can tell that from Facebook photos and how I was styling my hair (although due to this hair loss business I allowed a bare minimum number of photos to be taken of myself). I think minoxidil was a massive contributor to my success, that was my general conclusion from the whole experience.

What I know for certain is that when I quit both finasteride and minoxidil in year 4, I didn't notice a massive shed. But I did seem to recede quickly from looking at photos, while retaining thickness on top. From there my hair thinned out gradually over the next couple years, all the while I never noticed any shedding. In fact, I only really noticed shedding while I was on treatments, when I was off them I never noticed shedding yet my hair got gradually worse! So I for one don't recommend going by shedding when looking at one's progress, always measure by the state of your hair, using objective photos taken at regular intervals in similar/same lighting conditions/angles. Also by how you are able to style your hair, and photos of it when you are out and about. The only people that don't shed are people that are completely bald!

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
when you first started to lose hair , you had more a receding hairline or crown thinning ?

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
when you first started to lose hair , you had more a receding hairline or crown thinning ?

Hmm, I first noticed that the texture of my hair changed all over, it seemed to get very dry and unhealthy looking. Also across the top you could see through the hair to the scalp if the sun shone on it or you looked at it in a mirror in a certain way under certain lighting conditions. At the same time as this,I noticed that my temples had receded, but I noticed this all at once, so it seems like diffuse thinning and temple recession struck me at once.

My main problem area was the hairline/temples as I had such a high hairline to begin with it was making my hair hard to style, my crown at that time was okay. I recovered a lot of my hairline and temples back, along with much density across the top including crown.

After going off treatments, I would say i receded further first, then gradually thinned across the top, and then my hairline started taking a huge hit to the point where in another half year it would have been gone completely - which is where I jumped in and got on treatments and seem to have managed to arrest the process. Fingers crossed and I'll try and get some pics up today at some point

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's some photos as promised, tried to keep angle and lighting conditions the same but it's been difficult as I've been moving around. For the first couple weeks the hair was exactly the same length (2mm buzz cut) but since then I've been letting it grow out a bit and buzzing to different lengths, so some aren't directly comparable to baseline but you still get a good idea of progress. These should come out in chronological order hopefully, but I've uploaded them in yyyymmdd date format so you can always tell when they're from.

I started rogaine foam on 13th April and finasteride on 27th April (give or take a couple days...). Seeing lots of vellus hairs at the hairline and some new terminal ones, looking positive at just a bit under 2 months in.

Attachments

• 20170418.jpg
    20170418.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 660
  • 20170424.jpg
    20170424.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 605
  • 20170430.jpg
    20170430.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 626
  • 20170507.jpg
    20170507.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 20170507 post buzz.jpg
    20170507 post buzz.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 624
  • 20170517.jpg
    20170517.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 540
  • 20170517 v2.jpg
    20170517 v2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 20170529.jpg
    20170529.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 20170531.jpg
    20170531.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 586
  • 20170604.jpg
    20170604.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 598
  • 20170609.jpg
    20170609.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 20170609 v2.jpg
    20170609 v2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 606

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also for comparison, here are some photos from the time I stopped treatments when my hair was at its absolute best (July 2009) and the intervening years so you can witness the degradation - I can't show you how much my hair improved from when I started treatments to July 2009 as all the photos were lost and I didn't get on Facebook till late on so can't find photos (plus when my hair was sh*t I avoided photos like the plague) but the hair you see in July 2009 is the best my hair had EVER been - comparable to before I started balding when I was 16.

Attachments

• July 2009 v1.jpg
    July 2009 v1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 763
  • July 2009 v2.jpg
    July 2009 v2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 749
  • July 2009 v3.jpg
    July 2009 v3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 676
  • January 2010.jpg
    January 2010.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 661
  • September 2011.jpg
    September 2011.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 683
  • May 2016.jpg
    May 2016.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 752

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow ok I just had a real blast from the past, I managed to find a couple of old threads I made on the old hair loss help forums back in 2007. It seems that I stayed on finasteride without minoxidil for about a year and my hair got slightly worse in that year, I then added rogaine foam in and that's when I started to see results. I also seemed to be quite down about shedding a lot of the time, but what's funny is that when I went off treatments and my hair got worse - no sheds! So sheds didn't = bad, I was shedding, but my hair was getting better. Can't find any of my comments from after 2008 though, and it also seems like I used to post on 'hair loss talk' according to some of the comments made, but I can't find any posts here so maybe the database was wiped or something.

Unfortunately it seems like I put all my photos into a profile kind of web page hair loss help had back then, that is now unaccessible so I can't get photos, but it's interesting to know that finasteride didn't seem to improve my hair much in the first year, then adding minoxidil in seemed to really kick things off!

http://hairlosshelp.net/forums/mess...d=69571&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

http://hairlosshelp.net/forums/mess...d=71440&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

http://www.hairlosshelp.net/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=73276

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
wow mqn maybe i should add minoxidil to my crown . BEcause like you, with finasteride alone my hair keep getting worse .
So the minoxidl really helped your crown area ?

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
you quittted treatment in 2010?

It was around July/August 2009 I quit treatments - shortly after the photos that I show above from July 2009 were taken, I remember I specifically stopped treatments after that holiday.

Minoxidil helped me all over, from the hairline and temples all the way to the crown, both regrowth and thickening. Some people do respond to finasteride between years one and two, so perhaps the regrowth came from finasteride also - but I attribute my regrowth in my actual posts from 2007 to minoxidil, and from the results im having now I'd have to agree it's minoxidil doing the work, perhaps while finasteride is helping maintain in the background. I highly reccomend minoxidil from personal experience, as I'm glad to be able to actually back up with proof now, my memory from back then is so bad!! Lots of drugs etc haha student life. I even realised I'd used liquid minoxidil for a whole month and a half back then from reading my posts, I genuinely thought I'd never ever tried it!!! Strange!

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick update - just over 2 months on minoxidil and almost 2 months on finasteride. First pic shows regrowth around the hairline, becoming more visible and similar in thickness to the hair already existing there, still lots of vellus around am hoping they will thicken up also. Feel like hair is thicker in general on top, I'm due a buzz it's around a grade 2 now (6mm) but a couple months ago wouldn't have allowed it to get this length as it would have looked terrible.

Was off work travelling for a month and back in the office last week had lots of comments about how 'something had changed' and I looked different, people couldn't put their fingers on it. It's quite possibly the hair :) hoping it keeps progressing along the same path!

Attachments

• IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 642

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Quick update - just over 2 months on minoxidil and almost 2 months on finasteride. First pic shows regrowth around the hairline, becoming more visible and similar in thickness to the hair already existing there, still lots of vellus around am hoping they will thicken up also. Feel like hair is thicker in general on top, I'm due a buzz it's around a grade 2 now (6mm) but a couple months ago wouldn't have allowed it to get this length as it would have looked terrible.

Was off work travelling for a month and back in the office last week had lots of comments about how 'something had changed' and I looked different, people couldn't put their fingers on it. It's quite possibly the hair :) hoping it keeps progressing along the same path!
Looks like you are responding again. Keep up the good work.

Hairambe

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey did you notice any side effects after quitting and how did your body develop from 19 ? Thank you

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey did you notice any side effects after quitting and how did your body develop from 19 ? Thank you

No side effects during or after although if I apply too much minoxidil foam it will make me feel a bit dizzy/my heart race for a couple minutes. I can only assume I developed exactly the same as I would have done without finasteride, as there isn't a me to test not taking finasteride on!

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick update to say things are going really well! Just under 4 months on minoxidil, finasteride and nizoral and I'm really happy with the results. I've grown my hair out for the first time in around a year, and it's looking better than it did 2 years ago, maybe even 3. Vellus hairs I saw regrowing in near the centre of the hairline at month 1 have become terminal hairs that I can style, and there are new vellus hairs growing in at both my left and right temples. Hair across the top of my scalp from crown to hairline has thickened - I'm able to use styling products for the first time in ages!

4 months is still early, I'd say that the majority of my results are down to minoxidil (when I was 19 I was on finasteride for a year before minoxidil and in that time it only got worse - added minoxidil and it got better). Here's a pic I took yesterday in direct sunlight :)

Attachments

• IMG_3767.JPG
    IMG_3767.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 542