you're NOT using minoxidil : why ?

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
Many people here are not using it despite it of the "Big 3". Why not ?

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty sad.

Apart from side effects, is there another reason for not using minoxidil?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I found minoxidil to be pretty harsh on my scalp. I ended up with a really flaky scalp (its a common problem with minoxidil brands). After trying several brands i now use spectral dnc which doesn't give me this problem. The reason i have stopped using it recently is because its really expensive stuff and im skint from the christmas period.

I generally like minoxidil though and will continue using it in the near future.

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
There's always been a lot of anti-minoxidil propaganda going around this board.

I've seen many claims that it only works for 2 years and after this time not only will you lose the hairs that minoxidil grew but other hair which became dependent on it. (f*****g bullshit)

I'm 25 and have been using it for around 4 years now and it has helped my hair greatly. I hope I never need to get on finasteride.

I think a lot of people here are against it because it IS a pain in the *** to apply and maybe it's not so good for those with really aggressive hair loss.

Whatever, I'm more than happy with the results I've got from it.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
Any other reasons than side effects?

Maybe a more fundamental reason based on male pattern baldness theory ?

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe what finfighter wrote in another thread will answer your question:

''Male pattern baldness is caused by a by DHT which is a androgen which spawns from of the male hormone Testosterone; you must reduce your DHT levels if you want to slow down your hairloss.
Minoxidil will not reduce DHT it will stimulate some regrowth but it is not enough. Finasteride(Propecia) will reduce DHT, get a prescription for it ASAP. You can take the Minoxidil as well but it is a lifelong commitment if you stop the drugs you will experiance ''catch up hairloss''.

So basically a lot of people don't take min because they feel it won't be enough to stop their hair loss (and the fact you have to keep using it for your whole life).

If min stops working for me one day I still won't EVER touch finasteride though.

T

Timi

why: minoxidil make my Heart damaged
my face full with water
big eyerings and a red burning face
become no air in my lungs

and was for my Hair a Killer

Timi

rcom440

Reaction score
Timi said:
why: minoxidil make my Heart damaged
my face full with water
big eyerings and a red burning face
become no air in my lungs

and was for my Hair a Killer

Timi

Timi is a minoxidil hater. :smack:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cyberprimate said:

Other than the possibility of side effects (which I don't think are very common with topical minoxidil), there is what I think is the most important issue of all: It makes no sense to use minoxidil alone, for the obvious reason which I've been discussing on hairloss sites for years.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
cyberprimate said:

Other than the possibility of side effects (which I don't think are very common with topical minoxidil), there is what I think is the most important issue of all: It makes no sense to use minoxidil alone, for the obvious reason which I've been discussing on hairloss sites for years.

What bull ! I used liquid Rogaine 2% alone from 1993 to 1997 and got results

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:

Goodness gracious! You were a really good responder and got excellent results, so that conclusively proves that everybody would have the same great results as you! :shock:

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HT55 said:

Goodness gracious! You were a really good responder and got excellent results, so that conclusively proves that everybody would have the same great results as you! :shock:

"It makes no sense to use minoxidil alone, for the obvious reason which I've been discussing on hairloss sites for years."

I never said "EVERYBODY " would but you say just the opposite which is complete BS

You don't think i can find many people who had results on Rogaine alone ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
I never said "EVERYBODY " would but you say just the opposite which is complete BS

I've been referring to the studies showing that minoxidil doesn't appear to interfere with the fundamental balding process. Do you believe those studies?

HT55 said:
You don't think i can find many people who had results on Rogaine alone ?

Of course you can find such people. So can I. A more important question here is what SPECIFICALLY do you mean by "had results".

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've been referring to the studies showing that minoxidil doesn't appear to interfere with the fundamental balding process. Do you believe those studies?

"doesn't appear" does not even give an answer

Bryan said:
Of course you can find such people. So can I. A more important question here is what SPECIFICALLY do you mean by "had results".

So if you can find people why would you make a statement saying minoxidil alone is basically a waste ?

We all know Prox n alone is a waste but that NEVER stops you from hyping it now does it ?

Oh and by "had results" I mean people who used rogaine alone and you can easilly tell they have more hair, kind of th e OPPOSITE of your missing Prox n photos

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
Bryan said:

"doesn't appear" does not even give an answer

I don't know what you mean by that odd statement. And you didn't answer my question.

HT55 said:
So if you can find people why would you make a statement saying minoxidil alone is basically a waste ?

Because its effect is only temporary. It doesn't appear (are you going to make another strange remark about my use of the term "doesn't appear"?) to interfere with the fundamental balding process.

HT55 said:
We all know Prox n alone is a waste but that NEVER stops you from hyping it now does it ?

Prox-N is not a waste.

HT55 said:
Oh and by "had results" I mean people who used rogaine alone and you can easilly tell they have more hair, kind of th e OPPOSITE of your missing Prox n photos

So having more hair is what you mean by "had results", even if it's gone shortly afterwards? :)

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I don't know what you mean by that odd statement. And you didn't answer my question.

How can you have a study and come up with "doesn't appear" as your conclusion ? What exactly is that ? So no I do not believe the study.

Bryan said:
Prox-N is not a waste.

Why because YOU said so, Oh I know it must be the 12 people you found in the last 10 years from Alt.baldspot who say it works, how about some proof. In fact why don't YOU SHUT ME UP and take photos today and use Prox n for a year and post photos every month for all to see , THIS IS MY CHALLENGE TO YOU !

Bryan said:
So having more hair is what you mean by "had results", even if it's gone shortly afterwards? :)

What is "shorty afterwords" ? As i said I used Rogaine for 4 years alone and had more hair year 4 than when I started and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
How can you have a study and come up with "doesn't appear" as your conclusion ? What exactly is that ?

"Doesn't appear" is typical of something that cautious people would say. I guess caution is new to you.

HT55 said:
So no I do not believe the study.

LOL! Do you even know which studies I'm talking about? :)

HT55 said:
Bryan said:

What is "shorty afterwords" ?

In all seriousness, it would vary a bit, depending on one's natural rate of hairloss. But in general, I'm talking about a few years. Maybe 4, 5, or 6 years or so. Maybe a little longer, maybe not quite as long as that.

HT55 said:
As i said I used Rogaine for 4 years alone and had more hair year 4 than when I started and I'm sure I'm not the only one

I can show you studies in which there were dramatic drops in haircounts after only a single year. You're one of the lucky ones.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
cyberprimate said:

Other than for a cosmetic improvement i agree. However users feel more relieved seeing an improvement in there hairloss as opposed to none, which gives them some sense of relief even if it isnt a permanent measure. Spectral dnc combines the use of both minoxidil and procyanides to deal wih this problem. Procyanides are thought to deal with hairloss at the root of the cause. I think the two can work very well together.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
scares me a lot more than finasteride does, to be honest. lower percentage of people get the effects they want from it, it has some BEASTLY sheds and, well, one thing at a time right? maybe i'll use min in the future, but i wanna see how finasteride goes for now.

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan. I am aware of these studies of which you speak. I must say that you seem very selective about what studies you choose to put emphasis on.

Also, you are not a scientist.

minoxidil works for most people for as long as they keep using it.