you're NOT using minoxidil : why ? | Page 2 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

you're NOT using minoxidil : why ?

Discussion in 'Growth Stimulants - Rogaine, Minoxidil, Tricomin,' started by cyberprimate, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Primo

Primo Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    If you're receding and wish to claw back some hair around your hairline, then you best have minoxidil in your regimen because Finasteride alone will definitely not grow back that lost hair.

minoxidil is far from ideal and can be a pain in the *** to apply in the evenings, but even when used alone with no other treatments, it will still manage to stem male pattern baldness for a minimum of 5years in most people... this has been proven!

The only people who talk trash about minoxidil are those who believe that finasteride/dutasteride/"smashing DHT" is the perfect solution for everyone. Unfortunately it's not.

2. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Which specific studies do you think I'm speaking of? :)

The specific issue here is long-term studies, and how long topical minoxidil continues to have a beneficial effect. I don't put as much emphasis on short-term studies (like a study lasting only six months or so), simply because we can't draw too many conclusions from it about how long the effect lasts.

Are you aware that there are at least two different ways that your second sentence could be true?

1) minoxidil works for as long as you keep using it by increasing the amount of hair you normally would have had without it, even though it continues to slowly decline all your life. Balding continues, in other words.

2) minoxidil works for as long as you keep using it by maintaining the same amount of increased hair for the rest of your life.

Do you see the difference in those two conditions? The issue here is which one of those conditions is accomplished by using topical minoxidil alone. I think it's #1, and I can cite some studies which seem to support my opinion.

3. HT55

HT55 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

Ok now show me the studies that Prox n works

a. At all (independant study)

b. Longer than minoxidil

4. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    Now I think you're just "playing dumb". I think you're well-aware that there are no published studies of Prox-N or Proxiphen. Just the experiences of users, and the observations of Dr. Proctor.

5. HT55

HT55 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

Oh so it works because Dr Proctor ( the guy who sells it) said so, lol

6. Todd

Todd Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not using minoxidil; why?

good question. I jumped right on finasteride when I was 20 and my hairloss really started to show. Got pretty good results, even though I still had some vellus hair at my temples that didn't became terminal.

6 years later, I feel finasteride may have lost some of it's effect. Mainly this is because I quit finasteride for 6 months, and when I started on it again, I don't think all of the regrown hair survived the second time around.

Also, I think many people (including myself) avoids it because the idea of a preventive treatment (targeting androgen receptors and/or DHT) seems more ideal (letting your hair grow itself...).

I'm at a crossroad now, where I'm trying to decide whether or not I should jump on minoxidil, or try the anti- androgen route with fluridil.