you're NOT using minoxidil : why ?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're receding and wish to claw back some hair around your hairline, then you best have minoxidil in your regimen because Finasteride alone will definitely not grow back that lost hair.

minoxidil is far from ideal and can be a pain in the *** to apply in the evenings, but even when used alone with no other treatments, it will still manage to stem male pattern baldness for a minimum of 5years in most people... this has been proven!

The only people who talk trash about minoxidil are those who believe that finasteride/dutasteride/"smashing DHT" is the perfect solution for everyone. Unfortunately it's not.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom1985 said:
Bryan. I am aware of these studies of which you speak.

Which specific studies do you think I'm speaking of? :)

Tom1985 said:
I must say that you seem very selective about what studies you choose to put emphasis on.

The specific issue here is long-term studies, and how long topical minoxidil continues to have a beneficial effect. I don't put as much emphasis on short-term studies (like a study lasting only six months or so), simply because we can't draw too many conclusions from it about how long the effect lasts.

Tom1985 said:
Also, you are not a scientist.

minoxidil works for most people for as long as they keep using it.

Are you aware that there are at least two different ways that your second sentence could be true?

1) minoxidil works for as long as you keep using it by increasing the amount of hair you normally would have had without it, even though it continues to slowly decline all your life. Balding continues, in other words.

2) minoxidil works for as long as you keep using it by maintaining the same amount of increased hair for the rest of your life.

Do you see the difference in those two conditions? The issue here is which one of those conditions is accomplished by using topical minoxidil alone. I think it's #1, and I can cite some studies which seem to support my opinion.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HT55 said:
How can you have a study and come up with "doesn't appear" as your conclusion ? What exactly is that ?

"Doesn't appear" is typical of something that cautious people would say. I guess caution is new to you.

HT55 said:
So no I do not believe the study.

LOL! Do you even know which studies I'm talking about? :)

HT55 said:
Bryan said:
So having more hair is what you mean by "had results", even if it's gone shortly afterwards? :)

What is "shorty afterwords" ?

In all seriousness, it would vary a bit, depending on one's natural rate of hairloss. But in general, I'm talking about a few years. Maybe 4, 5, or 6 years or so. Maybe a little longer, maybe not quite as long as that.

HT55 said:
As i said I used Rogaine for 4 years alone and had more hair year 4 than when I started and I'm sure I'm not the only one

I can show you studies in which there were dramatic drops in haircounts after only a single year. You're one of the lucky ones.

Ok now show me the studies that Prox n works

a. At all (independant study)

b. Longer than minoxidil

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HT55 said:

b. Longer than minoxidil

Now I think you're just "playing dumb". I think you're well-aware that there are no published studies of Prox-N or Proxiphen. Just the experiences of users, and the observations of Dr. Proctor.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HT55 said:

b. Longer than minoxidil

Now I think you're just "playing dumb". I think you're well-aware that there are no published studies of Prox-N or Proxiphen. Just the experiences of users, and the observations of Dr. Proctor.

Oh so it works because Dr Proctor ( the guy who sells it) said so, lol

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not using minoxidil; why?

good question. I jumped right on finasteride when I was 20 and my hairloss really started to show. Got pretty good results, even though I still had some vellus hair at my temples that didn't became terminal.

6 years later, I feel finasteride may have lost some of it's effect. Mainly this is because I quit finasteride for 6 months, and when I started on it again, I don't think all of the regrown hair survived the second time around.

Also, I think many people (including myself) avoids it because the idea of a preventive treatment (targeting androgen receptors and/or DHT) seems more ideal (letting your hair grow itself...).

I'm at a crossroad now, where I'm trying to decide whether or not I should jump on minoxidil, or try the anti- androgen route with fluridil.