Your Experience Of Minoxidil, Good Or Bad.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of incorporating Minoxidil into my regime and I understand it's an effective product with a good success rate. So, what I want to know is 1) How easy is it to use? Is it time consuming/difficult? 2) Some of the sides worry me, especially the ones about saggy skin and rings under your eyes. I don't see much point in saving my hair if I'm going to look like an old man.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I love Minoxidil.

1) It can be a pain to use, the foam is better since in dries faster, is less irritating and is easier to style your hair. The liquid can be greasy and very irritating.

2) I have never experienced the face effects and have never seen direct proof that this has occurred. Most men have terrible skin care routines so if you never wash your face other than wiping it off with shampoo foam remnants+apply Minoxidil and sleep with the greasiness resting on your face, it is probably not the best thing for your skin.

While Minoxidil is not good for collagen formation, it is not an extreme inhibitor and having a good routine will be more than enough to combat this. The foam will also prevent from anything sliding on your face.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s incredibly simple to use and is no more of a hassle than brushing your teeth and probably less of a hassle than shaving. After you get the hang of it it takes less than 2 minutes. You would find it easily incorporated into your morning/nightly routine.

Going bald will give you the appearance of an old man. Minoxidil is your friend.

The foam is the most convenient but doesn’t have quite the efficacy rate of the liquid. Most likely because if you have hair on the areas of application and you don’t keep it short you’re going to have a harder time getting the foam to the scalp before it gets soaked up by the hair. But it can still be done. Applying any minoxidil solution to a wet or freshly derma rolled scalp will increase absorption. This is to the benefit of anyone looking to maximize results or just keep longer hair and assure that the foam is being absorbed.

You’re going to want to get a 1.5mm derma roller. They’re cheap. They last long. You will want to derma roll the scalp once every two weeks and take a break from minoxidil the day of. Studies show this to greatly increase the benefits of minoxidil with virtually no extra hassle or added risk of side effects. It works by very lightly wounding the scalp to initiate ‘neogenisis’ which uses the body’s natural healing process to attract more blood supply and growth factors. This is good for the hair and can even revitalize dead follicles.

Minoxidil and derma rolling aren’t very time consuming and are both pretty much widely accepted as necessities to anyone’s hairloss routine.

Best of luck.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s incredibly simple to use and is no more of a hassle than brushing your teeth and probably less of a hassle than shaving. After you get the hang of it it takes less than 2 minutes. You would find it easily incorporated into your morning/nightly routine.

Going bald will give you the appearance of an old man. Minoxidil is your friend.

The foam is the most convenient but doesn’t have quite the efficacy rate of the liquid. Most likely because if you have hair on the areas of application and you don’t keep it short you’re going to have a harder time getting the foam to the scalp before it gets soaked up by the hair. But it can still be done. Applying any minoxidil solution to a wet or freshly derma rolled scalp will increase absorption. This is to the benefit of anyone looking to maximize results or just keep longer hair and assure that the foam is being absorbed.

You’re going to want to get a 1.5mm derma roller. They’re cheap. They last long. You will want to derma roll the scalp once every two weeks and take a break from minoxidil the day of. Studies show this to greatly increase the benefits of minoxidil with virtually no extra hassle or added risk of side effects. It works by very lightly wounding the scalp to initiate ‘neogenisis’ which uses the body’s natural healing process to attract more blood supply and growth factors. This is good for the hair and can even revitalize dead follicles.

Minoxidil and derma rolling aren’t very time consuming and are both pretty much widely accepted as necessities to anyone’s hairloss routine.

Best of luck.

You can also role with a .5mm derma roller every 3-4 days before minoxidil to increase absorbtion.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience was definitely good.

And actually, dermarolling requires a 1.5 ml dermaroller (I believe).

I use a 1.1 millimeter. And I use 30% Minoxidil. (That's right, I AM the official Minoxidil
junkie on this board, despite the fact someone else uses that name).

I regrew all of it with 2% (that's all they had in my time, and Propecia wasn't approved yet).

But, I lost it. I wish I used Finasteride earlier in life.

That said, there was a guy who was even a better responder than I was. He was 31, Norwood six, and
became a Norwood 4.5 after using it.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had an allergic reaction so i cant use it anymore but it gave me very good results at that time.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on your daily life and how you manage with brushing your teeths :)

i do my daily thing at the same time as i brush my teeths, it is a daily routine and i have not forgotten it a single day.
I have a buzzcut (1mm) and use a spray to apply my minoxidil, it takes less than 20 seconds (including 15 seconds of massage :) )

I used a 10% lotion and i could feel a little dizzy the first 1-2 weeks but absolutly nothing after that.

i am very happy with my results the first 4 months!

I have now changed to a 5% minoxidil with a 0.1% topical finasteride lotion added to it (only used it two days) and have not felt a thing, i am however a little nervous that the 5% lotion wonmt be as effective as the 10% lotion but i really want toppical finasteride so no other option that i found.

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience was definitely good.

And actually, dermarolling requires a 1.5 ml dermaroller (I believe).

I use a 1.1 millimeter. And I use 30% Minoxidil. (That's right, I AM the official Minoxidil
junkie on this board, despite the fact someone else uses that name).

I regrew all of it with 2% (that's all they had in my time, and Propecia wasn't approved yet).

But, I lost it. I wish I used Finasteride earlier in life.

That said, there was a guy who was even a better responder than I was. He was 31, Norwood six, and
became a Norwood 4.5 after using it.

This is just a straight up lie. You cannot even dissolve 300 mg of minoxidil in 1 mL of anything that I am aware of. Also, this is extremely dangerous to even apply because if a fraction of this gets absorbed systemically you are looking at some serious side effects and potentially dangerously low blood pressure.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got bloated face from it and i think it thinned my hair so i stopped, but i think im in the minority of these forums. If you don't get sides then it's definitely something you want to use. Takes no time at all to apply(i was using the foam).

Last edited:

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For those that have gotten results from minoxidil I have some questions:

1. Were you guys also taking an anti-androgen (finasteride, duta, ru) along with the minoxidil?

2. Did you guys experience the dreaded initial shedding?

3. If you did experience shedding, does it only cause shedding in the areas you apply the minoxidil or will minoxidil applied in one area cause shedding throughout the whole scalp?

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shite.. gives me a horrible looking face with skin like an alco Pensioner. It also gives me that nasty anxiety feeling and a dull ache on left arm.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is just a straight up lie. You cannot even dissolve 300 mg of minoxidil in 1 mL of anything that I am aware of.

This isn't a straight up lie. You can dissolve Minoxidil in crystal form.
There was a guy here named Dr. Lee who used to advise people on how to do it.

That said, I also know it is dangerous. I am getting side effects from it.

For the record, I don't think Minoxidil on it's own is a PERMANENT SOLUTION.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
For those that have gotten results from minoxidil I have some questions:

1. Were you guys also taking an anti-androgen (finasteride, duta, ru) along with the minoxidil?

2. Did you guys experience the dreaded initial shedding?

3. If you did experience shedding, does it only cause shedding in the areas you apply the minoxidil or will minoxidil applied in one area cause shedding throughout the whole scalp?

You have to take something with Minoxidil for permanent results, unfortunately, that's just
the way it is.

Shedding should only happen once where you apply the Minoxidil.

Minoxidil won't cause shedding in other areas (where it's not applied).

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have to take something with Minoxidil for permanent results, unfortunately, that's just
the way it is.

That's what I was afraid of. Oral finasteride didn't work for me and currently experimenting with oral seti and no results 5 weeks in. I figure it's not worth taking any growth stimulants if I can't even stop my hair from falling out. However, saw the back of my head recently and was shocked how much more bald it has gotten so I was thinking about testing minoxidil on just a couple of areas on the back of my head. Appreciate the response man.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you get sides or did you just continue at the same rate of loss ?

Did you get your dht checked while on fina ?

No major sides but I felt like I was shedding more throughout the 11 months I was taking it. Maybe it was just a coincidence and I would have lost the same amount of hair had I not taken it. Bottom line was it didn't reduce shedding. Didn't get dht levels checked, though.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Oral finasteride didn't work for me and currently experimenting with oral seti and no results 5 weeks in. I figure it's not worth taking any growth stimulants if I can't even stop my hair from falling out. However, saw the back of my head recently and was shocked how much more bald it has gotten so I was thinking about testing minoxidil on just a couple of areas on the back of my head. Appreciate the response man.

As for myself, I usually miss the back spot, I have to use multiple mirrors to get it. On
the back of my head, I can't always get the right spot.

Unfortunately it's hard get it without multiple mirror angles.

In my opinion, there's nothing to lose, by using it back there.

The worst case, the Minoxidil won't do anything for your hair. It won't make you "balder",
if that's the concern.

That said, it usually only grows terminal hair in 44% of males. So, keep in that in mind.

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
Crystallized minoxidil? This makes no sense at all. What's the vehicle it's being dissolved in? That's all that matters.