Would You Call This A Significant Change?

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I think whats more concerning is the miniaturization occurring at the center of your hairline. Hair still looks great, but I would get on finasteride asap. Hairline recession at the center of the hairline is brutal.
I've had that for a long time, I think it's genetically the way my hairline is as my mom and her mom (my grandmother) also have that thin hair density at the center of their hairlines.

Also I saw a derm today and told him I've noticed some shedding and slight recession, he said there's no hair loss but if I'm worried he'll prescribe me Ketoconazole since it'll also help with a small dandruff/flaking issue I have been having. What do you guys think?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had that for a long time, I think it's genetically the way my hairline is as my mom and her mom (my grandmother) also have that thin hair density at the center of their hairlines.

Also I saw a derm today and told him I've noticed some shedding and slight recession, he said there's no hair loss but if I'm worried he'll prescribe me Ketoconazole since it'll also help with a small dandruff/flaking issue I have been having. What do you guys think?
Well if you've always had a hairline like that I think you're good for now. Just listen to your doctor, and keep monitoring the situation.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if you've always had a hairline like that I think you're good for now. Just listen to your doctor, and keep monitoring the situation.
Well I meant I've always had the center of my hairline like that, but my temples are what I've noticed a change in. I found this picture (probably the earliest I could find with my hair back) from around 4 years ago, which was before losing any hair or noticing any change.
9lSN5zm.png

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick bump to see what people think of the latest picture and also what's everyone's thoughts on Keto? Is it excessively drying and are there any sides? Is it effective on its own? Thanks again.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think whats more concerning is the miniaturization occurring at the center of your hairline. Hair still looks great, but I would get on finasteride asap. Hairline recession at the center of the hairline is brutal.

I have thinning/miniaturization at the center of my hairline in addition to diffuse thinning all over my head (retrograde alopecia), massive crown thinning, and recession. Center hairline thinning does indeed suck - is there a certain name for it, or are the causal mechanisms different from "regular" balding? It really sucks to not only have temple recession, but then basically a massive bald spot directly front center. It severely limits styling options

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bruh, with the amount of posts you make asking if you're balding I think you should just get on a low dose of finasteride for a piece of mind lol.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Bruh, with the amount of posts you make asking if you're balding I think you should just get on a low dose of finasteride for a piece of mind lol.
Yeah honestly I have been thinking about this way too, like at least 2 hours a day for the past 2 years it sucks. Definitely can't say it's not bothering me. I would go on finasteride but then I'd be worried about sides even if I get none, it's a lose lose really.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Went from David Schwimmer to Norwood 1 (if even on the Norwood scale).

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Oh damn op, i definitely see what you're talking about. Talk about a crisp fkn hairline, I actually think I NEVER had a hairline that squared.

Imo, you've caught your hairloss so early on that no one here can really diagnose you, best bet is visit a dermatologist as I think you may be experiencing slight recession with miniaturization. A lot of people will say "mature hairline" but I don't believe that a mature hairline exists, it's either male pattern baldness or not.
Joey, I think its just called "mature" to distinguish it from "juvenile". Most people will lose their "juvenile" hair line when they reach their 20's as they become more "mature". I would say if you transition from NW1 to NW2 that would be considered a "mature" hairline which can be triggered by some level of male pattern balding and hormones. However as you transition from NW2 to NW3 is where you have typical male pattern balding. However diffuse thinners transition in a totally different way. I would say the OP is still holding on to his "juvenile" hairline but could be at the very early stage of transitioning to a "mature" hairline due to his age. If he has a high history of male pattern baldness, then taking finasteride at this point might not be a bad idea if he wants to slow the process down even more. However, if I was at his level, I would just keep watching it every 6 months or better yet get a hair density test and have it done every six months.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Are you Hispanic? I only ever see hairlines that low on Central / South Americans
I was thinking the exact same thing and was going to ask the exact same question. I live in area with mostly Puerto Ricans and they all have his same hairline well into their 50's and 60's. I wish I had that type of hairline.

Dsport

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMHO slight diffusion that could become problem fast.

Minoxidil??

Be ready with finasteride first sight of increased diff

I think you have a naturally shitty hairline but aren't actively balding.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Joey, I think its just called "mature" to distinguish it from "juvenile". Most people will lose their "juvenile" hair line when they reach their 20's as they become more "mature". I would say if you transition from NW1 to NW2 that would be considered a "mature" hairline which can be triggered by some level of male pattern balding and hormones. However as you transition from NW2 to NW3 is where you have typical male pattern balding. However diffuse thinners transition in a totally different way. I would say the OP is still holding on to his "juvenile" hairline but could be at the very early stage of transitioning to a "mature" hairline due to his age. If he has a high history of male pattern baldness, then taking finasteride at this point might not be a bad idea if he wants to slow the process down even more. However, if I was at his level, I would just keep watching it every 6 months or better yet get a hair density test and have it done every six months.

How do I tell if I'm diffuse thinning?

Regarding my family history...My dad is about a NW2/3 and he's been that way for a long time now, slight diffuse thinning up top but nothing awful especially for his age. Some of my uncles from his side of the family are also around Norwood 3, worst one being at most a Norwood 4, but they're all 45+ years old and none had early male pattern baldness from what I know. My uncles on my mom side all have their hair, two of them are around a Norwood 2.5 though, but again they're 40+ years old. Only real bad hairloss in my family comes from one of my cousins (our moms are sisters). He's in his late 20's and is thinning a bit near his crown, and if I were to guess I'd say a Norwood 2.5 maybe NW3. Any bad signs to take away from here? I don't know anyone in my family who had hairloss at an extremely young age, and this is why I was so confused when I noticed some hairline changes at only 18/19.

Are you Hispanic? I only ever see hairlines that low on Central / South Americans
Nah not from Central/South America haha

IMHO slight diffusion that could become problem fast.

Minoxidil??

Be ready with finasteride first sight of increased diff

My hair on top is quite long so it can be hard to see any change in density. What's a good way to keep track of it?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like your forehead was so small that you might actually look better with some mild recession.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
If you are diffusely thinning you will start to see scalp everywhere but mostly in a specific Norwood pattern. You don't really have a strong history of male pattern baldness so I would just watch it for now. The least you can do is use a shampoo for thinning hair. That is what I did when I was younger as a preventive measure.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's noticeable, but I sincerely doubt you have anything to worry about. You lost your juvenile hairline, and that can happen extremely fast. I lost mine in less than a year.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are diffusely thinning you will start to see scalp everywhere but mostly in a specific Norwood pattern. You don't really have a strong history of male pattern baldness so I would just watch it for now. The least you can do is use a shampoo for thinning hair. That is what I did when I was younger as a preventive measure.
My derm actually prescribed me Keto (guessing 2% and Nizoral) last week for dandruff. Maybe I should try that? Any side effects?
It's noticeable, but I sincerely doubt you have anything to worry about. You lost your juvenile hairline, and that can happen extremely fast. I lost mine in less than a year.
Anyway to tell if it's just a maturing hairline? And how noticeable is it?

Thanks again for all the comments guys, appreciate it.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My derm actually prescribed me Keto (guessing 2% and Nizoral) last week for dandruff. Maybe I should try that? Any side effects?

Anyway to tell if it's just a maturing hairline? And how noticeable is it?

Thanks again for all the comments guys, appreciate it.

No way to tell for sure other than to wait, but if I had your hairline, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

It's only noticeable in the comparison shots from a few years ago. If I saw you on the street, I wouldn't think you had any hairloss at all.

Last edited:

MR. Incredible

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like when your hair is pulled back, your temples and hairline are more visible, and when your hair was that short, it seems thicker and covers things up a lot better. Go look up Zayn Malik with a pony tail, for example. His temples are more visible and the front seem a bit thinner when they are pulled back. And that man will never go bald. I feel like you may be over-examining your hairline a bit tbh.