Would It Be Okay For Me To Take Oral Minoxidil Given That I Have A Mild Heart Condition?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a very very mild case of mitral valve prolapse, would it be okay for me to take a low dosage of oral minoxidil/loniten (2.5mg) every night even though minoxidil is known to cause arrhythmia?

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't do it!

Oral minoxidil does to your heart what overclocking does to a CPU, it will work faster but its lifespan will decrease. You'll have a faster heartbeat even when sleeping...

That said, oral minoxidil is probably the most effective drug against alopecia. However, it only works when it reaches your heart and increases its beating rate. That's why you have to take 50 mg topically (5 % in 1 ml) and yet, a 10 times lower dose taken orally will be more effective.

Why it works?

With more blow flow and oxygen reaching your scalp, the tissue DHT levels will decrease and estradiol will increase.

"The enzymatic conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is oxygen dependent. In low-oxygen environments, the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is favored; whereas in high-oxygen environments, more testosterone is converted to estradiol."

https://journals.lww.com/plasrecons..._Male_Pattern_Baldness_with_Botulinum.79.aspx

You should try safer ways to increase your blood flow and oxygen levels.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
While Lituatui is completely wrong about how minoxidil works, he's right that you shouldn't take oral minoxidl with a heart condition. Even topical minoxidil can cause heart issues in a healthy person.

Last edited:

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well Lituatui is completely wrong about how minoxidil works, he's right that you shouldn't take oral minoxidl with a heart condition. Even topical minoxidil can cause heart issues in a healthy person.

that sucks :(

if it wasn't for that (my heart condition) I would take it

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
While Lituatui is completely wrong about how minoxidil works, he's right that you shouldn't take oral minoxidl with a heart condition. Even topical minoxidil can cause heart issues in a healthy person.

Care to explain why? I'm curious.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

Attachments

• ijms-19-00691-g007.jpg
    ijms-19-00691-g007.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 183

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil does not have to go systemic to work. It works directly at the DP by increasing stem cell proliferation, upregulating growth factors, and suppressing the AR. It has little if anything to do with blood flow.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

Thanks for the articles. I appreciate that.

The articles say that "Minoxidil suppresses AR transactivation in skin cells". Ok, I don't dispute that. However that doesn't seem to be the most important reason of why Minoxidil works against alopecia. If that was the case topical minoxidil would be more effective than oral, because it would better suppress the androgens in the scalp skin right?

The truth is that 50 mg of minoxidil topically everyday is less effective than 5 mg orally against alopecia. My understanding is that the most important reasons of why minoxidil works is because it lowers blood pressure and increases heart rate.

The end result of more oxygen is less testosterone converted to DHT and more estradiol on the scalp.

Last edited:

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would do it only under supervision of a doctor if I had a heart condition.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
VERY mild case of mitral valve prolapse, I have never had any type of problem -- I have never taken any type of heart medication either

I have a box of Loniten sitting in my drawer as we speak - the real stuff by Pfizer (10mg) - I plan on splitting the pills into 4ths

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
VERY mild case of mitral valve prolapse, I have never had any type of problem -- I have never taken any type of heart medication either

I have a box of Loniten sitting in my drawer as we speak - the real stuff by Pfizer (10mg) - I plan on splitting the pills into 4ths
It looks like you have already made up your mind and are simply seeking validation from us. It's your choice, bro. You can go ahead. First check all the studies on oral minoxidil.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

Try starting lower than 2.5mg, like 1.25mg at first, even 0.6mg has shown to be effective. I don't think you should have any problems with your heart but no reason to risk it, start as low as possible and work your way up. Don't expect miracles with oral minoxidil, i may just be a bad responder but i didn't get much help from it, my crown is still a diffuse thinning mess after being on it for over a year.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try starting lower than 2.5mg, like 1.25mg at first, even 0.6mg has shown to be effective. I don't think you should have any problems with your heart but no reason to risk it, start as low as possible and work your way up. Don't expect miracles with oral minoxidil, i may just be a bad responder but i didn't get much help from it, my crown is still a diffuse thinning mess after being on it for over a year.
You still stuck to topical once a day, eh?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
You still stuck to topical once a day, eh?

Yeah still stuck on topical and dermarolling, wish i didn't have to be, my hair looks a mess after using minoxidil...seeing a diffuse thinning mess staring back at me in the mirror every night really gets me down lol I don't know if i should risk giving topical a 6 month break and just stick to oral minoxidil.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah still stuck on topical and dermarolling, wish i didn't have to be, my hair looks a mess after using minoxidil...seeing a diffuse thinning mess staring back at me in the mirror every night really gets me down lol I don't know if i should risk giving topical a 6 month break and just stick to oral minoxidil.
yeah bro, i feel you. that's why i'm transitioning to oral, but staying on topical once a night, just to be safe and not lose my gains.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
i take 5mg. i'm a pretty good responder to topical minoxidil already with a bunch of hairs in odd places. i expect 5mg to really help me out.

how long have you been taking 5mg? I have seen awesome before afters with oral minoxidil on the crown, i don't know why im not a good responder, sucks. im finding it harder to hide my baldness when dry now, just tried some careful combing today and you can see thin spots, i don't know if that has anything to do with stopping spironolactone.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like you have already made up your mind and are simply seeking validation from us. It's your choice, bro. You can go ahead. First check all the studies on oral minoxidil.

I mean.. I guess...? not really though

I was secretly hoping someone would show up and say: "I have the exact condition and have been on that stuff for the past 5 years without a problem.." but I guess that is not going to happen. I'm genuinely scared because if the liquid (by Kirkland) gave me terrible chest pains + arrhythmia -- I can't even imagine what the oral version would do to me

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how long have you been taking 5mg? I have seen awesome before afters with oral minoxidil on the crown, i don't know why im not a good responder, sucks. im finding it harder to hide my baldness when dry now, just tried some careful combing today and you can see thin spots, i don't know if that has anything to do with stopping spironolactone.
5 days. Hopefully you get some good results soon bro. My crown is also my worst spot.