Worst possible finasteride side?? Help needed

davepeters3345

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

So, I just got back my dudes. Everything went perfectly. I didn't think about it (and didn't jack off since that day). I also took GI Joey (thanks man) advice and didn't take finasteride today. Its probably psychological but it worked great and I f'ed the **** out of her. MY BONER IS ALIVE AND WELL BROTHERS.

Cheers for all the responses, you are all great. Will keep updating. Btw, this day marks officially 1 month on finasteride.

MrRandy

Reaction score
I've just joined the discussion. While reading the comments above, I was sure there will be a happy end of this story and I am glad that you are ok. I consider that any ED related issue first of all should be checked psychologically. Being with a girl for the first time can make you nervous that can lead to unexpected surprises in bed. Your doctor and the guys who commented on your situation were right that if you have had the erection while masturbating then the issue was not caused by finasteride intake.

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm like 2 months in and absolutely no sides. It's all about willpower. People start finasteride scared ****less of getting sides and waking up to find that their dicks fell off during sleeping. Get a freaking grip. When I started finasteride, I literally regained all my confidende: I know I was fighting this problem with the best medication for it so I just stopped worrying. I have an active sex lifestyle and I've always managed to stay hard everytime I engaged in the butsecs since starting finasteride.

Like MrRandy says, ED related issues CAN be psychological. Else, how would you explain that the tests for finasteride or dutasteride actually showed that most of the sexual sides were experienced by the placebo pills.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm like 2 months in and absolutely no sides.
Good for you.

It's all about willpower.
Unfortunately, wrong. It depends where on the scale your relevant DHT values are prior to finasteride, i.e. if system and sexual organ-local DHT was high or low. In the end, male pattern baldness is a matter of local 5aR expression.

Else, how would you explain that the tests for finasteride or dutasteride actually showed that most of the sexual sides were experienced by the placebo pills.
I'd like to see these studies, as the two biggest ones reported sexual sides for 8 and more than 10% of subjects receiving finasteride, respectively, while in the placebo group they were around 4%. Obviously, there is a biological difference.

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
benjt
First of all thanks
-I know that side effects can happen, but believe it or not, the majority of them can be psychological.
-As for the placebo, well, you've already stated there were 4%; I didn't say the majority of the reports of sides were in the placebo group, did you read what I said? I'm not wrong and uninformed when I say that virtually all of the side effects were experienced in the placebo group in a percentage that makes you think.

Sorry If I sounded like I was making a huge generalisation when I said it's all about willpower, I know it's not, but I have no doubt that some of them, and a lot you see here on the forums, are caused by placebo effects.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
virtually all of the side effects were experienced in the placebo group in a percentage that makes you think
The problem is not that they occured in the placebo group. Whenever conducting clinical studies, pretty much all effects you test for will be found in the placebo group with some (rather low) incidence rate.

The relevant part is that the cases of sexual dysfunction in the finasteride group were two to three times higher than in the placebo group, meaning that at least for some people it is definitely biological and there can be done nothing with willpower and it has nothing to do with placebo in their case. In fact, there was a smaller study that reported some form of sexual dysfunction for as much as 18% (!) of the people receiving finasteride.

Another problem with these studies is that participants may be reluctant to report sexual dysfunction, as it is considered something embarrassing (the reason why we have this thread in the first place). This might make the actual rate of incidents even higher. Placebo effect should not be underestimated, but neither should finasteride side effects.

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair point, but are you sure there's no way to avoid it? Some of those people fap compulsevely and I have no doubt that seems to make finasteride sides more evident and stronger. As for the Testosterone turning into Estradiol, which can lead to the sides, there are somethings you can take that inhibit estradiol as well.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that they all fap compulsively. On top of that, even if they did - they did not have any problems with lots of masturbation and sexual performance before finasteride, but now they do. Still shows that for them, finasteride triggers sides. They could live out their sexuality in any way they wanted before, now they cant (assuming masturbation is, in fact, the problem which I seriously doubt).

What you can do to counteract finasteride sides? Less masturbation indeed, because it makes you hornier. It's still only a workaround and not a solution.
What you can also do (which is what I do for some remedy) is heavy work out. Not to get buffed, but to raise testosterone to such a level that it can partially compensate the lack of DHT.
Then there are also studies that claim that the body does adjust to the lower levels of DHT over time which depending on the individual may take around 1 year or more. I am only on finasteride for 3 months now, so I can't confirm this yet. I am indeed one of the people suffering from sides, but decided to follow these studies and try to ride them out until my body adjusts. If it still doesn't after approx. 1 year, I will discontinue my finasteride usage.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, the usual. Difficulties to get and stay hard, strongly reduced desire to bang chicks, etc.

During the first three weeks it was even worse; I had orgasmic dysfunction. Meaning when I came, I would only ejaculate but not feel anything. This has subsided, but it clearly wasn't due to placebo effect. Before starting finasteride, I didn't even know that you got lose your capability to feel orgasms.

Things are getting a bit better right now (even get normal errections from time to time now again) and I hope its because my body is getting used to lower DHT levels, not because I work out more.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have to be brave to continue the medication despite that Benjt. I know they say side effects disappear for half the people who persist but still. My gf would have killed me if I carried on in that state!

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, the usual. Difficulties to get and stay hard, strongly reduced desire to bang chicks, etc.

During the first three weeks it was even worse; I had orgasmic dysfunction. Meaning when I came, I would only ejaculate but not feel anything. This has subsided, but it clearly wasn't due to placebo effect. Before starting finasteride, I didn't even know that you got lose your capability to feel orgasms.

Things are getting a bit better right now (even get normal errections from time to time now again) and I hope its because my body is getting used to lower DHT levels, not because I work out more.

Hope so for you buddy, stay strong.

Parry

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been applying minoxidil 5% - 1ml daily & using Nizral once a week for around 3months now.

Started finasteride 1mg once daily, 15days back & now facing its sides (weak erection & loss of morningwood).

To counter the sides, was fapping 4-5times a week. But after reading the previous posts, I guess I was wrong.

Pls advice how should I go ahead with finasteride & overcome the sides?

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been applying minoxidil 5% - 1ml daily & using Nizral once a week for around 3months now.

Started finasteride 1mg once daily, 15days back & now facing its sides (weak erection & loss of morningwood).

To counter the sides, was fapping 4-5times a week. But after reading the previous posts, I guess I was wrong.

Pls advice how should I go ahead with finasteride & overcome the sides?

Stop paranoia masturbating.