working out your chest

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bike is great for burning fat.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm finding it hard to keep myself in check for this diet/routine.

Whenever there is good food around, I tend to buy it (and eat it) or buy it for later. Or when there is free good food around, I eat it.

Another thing. Assuming I'm not doing much cardio. Just my usual day to day walking around. How long before I can expect to see results (based on just dieting, and the occasional set of pushups).

I'm guessing a few months?

How can I keep myself motivated to lose weight?

jfglover

Reaction score
I'm trying to get back down to a roaring rippped 190. From what was about 215.

1 pound fat/body = 3,500 calories...

Take your weight and multiply X 12. This gives you the amount of calories you burn doing nothing.

I started 2 weeks ago? So... in my case 208 ( lost 5 pounds last 12 days ).

208 X 12 = about 2,496 calories a day I burn sitting still.

To lose 1 pound a week I have to cut 500 calories out of my diet a week. Its safe to lose 2 pounds a week. Try to adjust and stay in that range. To lose 2 pounds week cut 1000 calories out of your diet a day.

This means in 9 weeks I should be sitting at 190 for sure.

Heres my advice... THE ABS DIET FOR MEN! Small orange book. From Mens Health.

I eat 5-6 times a day.

1. Breakfast is 2 microwaved eggs thrown in a wholewheat tortilla with some salsa and sometimes small dab of cheese or bowl of cereal or health shake.

2. Snack - boiled egg or health shake or hand full of almonds

3. lunch - chicken and salad... find substitutes

4. Snack again...

5. Dinner - chicken and salad find substitutes

6. snack again

Lot more you can eat... but, fill yourself up with healthy foods. The shakes are low cal and great for that. Drink lots of water. It will fill you up to. Count calories or stick to a routine like MH... what I'm doing.

You will cut the 500-1000 calories and lose 1-2 pounds a week. Work the numbers and you will see how long it takes.

I personally think losing 20 pounds in 9-10 weeks like me.. is awesome! I'm shooting to get a 6 pack back... or get a baseline weight and then adjust diet for muscle gain, etc..

JG

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Perform an Arnold Schwarzenegger type routine. He was known for doing hundreds of reps to build up lagging areas and body parts.

For instance, I recently needed to bulk up my legs, in order to fill in the pant legs of a wedding suit. In just one short month, I actually gained two pant sizes by working up to eight hundred squats every third day.

And yes, after discovering gyno, I immediately cut my finasteride dosage in half, and increased my cardio. But more importantly, I pummeled my chest with 100 set reps of bench presses. Three years later, there's virtually no sign of ever having had gyno.

Just make sure to work your way up in weight and high reps, and give your body enough recuperation time.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
That seems like really good advice. Ok, I'm definately trying to follow that from now on.

For breakfast, how do you microwave the 2 eggs? Beaten? or whole? and can it be done on just a ceramic plate?

What about bread? (Plain white) is that ok with the eggs?

I imagine that may taste a bit bland though, would mayonaise (low fat of course) be ok? or is it still too fattening?

and is sushi fattening? i keep thinking it's a healthy food, but i'm not quite sure. somebody fill me in on this. thanks.

jfglover

Reaction score
scramble the 2 eggs... put in microwaveable dish 1 minute per egg... so 2 minutes. I add a teaspoon of ground flaxseed and scramble that in.

I prefer the wholewheat tortilla... and when I eat bread.. its whole grain whole wheat too... You start compairing alternatives and realize its just not worth it.

If you can cut the soda pops out of your diet thats huge. 1 can of soda makes up 15% of the average daily calories most people eat!!

You could probably use no-fat maynoise... or some type of no fat dressing. I prefer a decent salsa. You can tear up a slice of turkey (low fat) to put in there too.

Sushi can be healthy... I'd be lying if I said I knew the caloric values. So... tough to say. Adding cold fresh water fish to your diet is excellent though.

JG

G

jfglover is ripped. i could tell from his picture before he took it down.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm cutting out soft drinks. What about mineral water and soda water? are they just water? or do they contain some other elements? (bad for you) It's hard to jsut stop soft drinks, but your argument has swayed me.

Salmon seems to be very fattening in my opinion, only based on it's texture though. maybe it's supposed to taste that way. but it's very slippery and has a similar texture to fat.

i hate being fat. especially since i'm balding too.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123....
You've alluded to the problem that is keeping you from your goal....its your laziness. You want the best results possible from the least amount of work. Fair enough, most people do. But you have to remember that the amount of weight you lose comes down to you. You have to WANT it bad enough to make it happen. YOu say you can't help buying and eating things you shouldn't, but next time you go to eat something you know you shouldn't - look at yourself. You're obviously not happy, so stop bitching about it and make a stand against yourself.

Cut the soft drinks, cut the high-fat foods, cut the sushi (the rice used for sushi is terrible for losing weight), cut down the size of your meals, cut the refined foods (white bread!!?! don't touch it), do it tough 6 days a week and reward yourself 1 day a week. it will help you get through the tough times knowing there's a reward (2 rewards actually - a bit of a tasty treat, and more importantly, a better body and self image to go with it!!)

Once you get to a point where you're more pleased with your body, you can tweak things around so your diet isn't so bland. But tough it out.

On the exercise front, if you really don't want to do any extra exercise cos of the time, you're going to have to up the effectiveness of the activities you do - walk around on the balls of your feet, get up and grab things instead of leaning over, dance/bop around to music you're listening too :) It sounds silly but you just need to be a more active bouncy person and your metabolism will increase. I could give you a whole exercise routine, but you're not ready for it yet so i wouldn't waste my time. The results you want, and eventually see need to motivate you first champ. Best of luck

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Good bit of advice there.

What you say is really true.

I lack the discipline because I am lazy. Today I felt like I ate way too much.

I can't help eating white bread, rice, pasta sometimes, because they're all that's availible. I mean, for breakfast, I usually have a few slices of bread. All that's availible is white bread. I'm not going to change what everybody else eats because it's what they've become accustomed to. So what should I do about this factor? Will eating wholemeal bread really change things that much? Or is it an ok exception?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Everyone pretty much glossed over my advice. But it's probably the most true. In order to get big and ripped it takes a great deal of dedication and commitment, and even sacrifice. And sometimes you have to shock your body with some crazy routine. But most people simply don't want to hear this. :)

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Everyone pretty much glossed over my advice. But it's probably the most true. In order to get big and ripped it takes a great deal of dedication and commitment, and even sacrifice. And sometimes you have to shock your body with some crazy routine. But most people simply don't want to hear this. :)

That's because I want to get small and toned, not big and ripped.

I admit loseing weight and working out takes a great deal of commitement and dedication though.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
joseph49853 said:

That's because I want to get small and toned, not big and ripped.

I admit loseing weight and working out takes a great deal of commitement and dedication though.

I was actually referring to my first message though, about a Schwarzenegger type routine. Your original message was about having manboobs, right? Well, the only way to define and shape your chest is to target it directly with high rep sets.

Performing high-intensity high reps with lower weights will have an aerobic effect. You'll not only tone your chest, but increase vascularity, decrease glycogen levels and sustain greater hormonal secretions. The more HGH released in your system, the far greater the fat burn. And you don't even have to use weights necessarily, but your own body weight as resistance. Of course strength training with low reps and high weights will build muscle, and have an anaerobic effect.

As to the second part of your question, about shaping your abs, this will only come about through intense cardiovascular work. In fact, the only way you'll lose any body fat is from increasing cardiovascular activity. This would be any activity that elevates your heartrate, and maintains it over a period of time. More importanly, you'll also have to decrease caloric intake. And again, this takes a lot of focus and dedication... far more than even building muscle mass alone.

Good luck.

bubka

Reaction score
person_123 said:
workout, go run for 45 minutes, then you will not want to pick up that french fry because you will have waisted all that hard work

eveyone genrally has decent muscles, you just need to lose the fat under the skin and the marbling in the muscles for it to show

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
person_123 said:
workout, go run for 45 minutes, then you will not want to pick up that french fry because you will have waisted all that hard work

eveyone genrally has decent muscles, you just need to lose the fat under the skin and the marbling in the muscles for it to show

You're right, I can feel that I have quite a bit of muscles underneath all the fat. (I used to workout alot, now I've stopped for a few years and gotten fat).

As to running for 45 minutes. I'm usually in clothes that don't suit running. And since I lead a busy life, I find it hard to find time to run (unless I want to run in the cold at 3am at night, which I don't want to). I'm more of a walking person. So how long should I walk for to equate to 45 minutes of running? Is it the distance that matters? or is it the time?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
are you serious?

i'm going to have to find some time to hit the gym then.

how should i work up to intense running? (as you know, i'm fat now, so obviously i can't run alot)

should i do short bursts of fast running (2 minutes of "as fast as i can go") or should i do long runs (20 minutes of comfortable pace).

which one would build me up to be able to run faster for longer (endurance wise).

i'm sick of being fat. and from this day forward, i'm going to try and be fit

hope it works.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
bubka said:
[quote="person_123":546a3]How can I keep myself motivated to lose weight?

You're right, I can feel that I have quite a bit of muscles underneath all the fat. (I used to workout alot, now I've stopped for a few years and gotten fat).

As to running for 45 minutes. I'm usually in clothes that don't suit running. And since I lead a busy life, I find it hard to find time to run (unless I want to run in the cold at 3am at night, which I don't want to). I'm more of a walking person. So how long should I walk for to equate to 45 minutes of running? Is it the distance that matters? or is it the time?[/quote:546a3]

I'm super busy too, and always find time to remain active. I know that adding exercise with benefit many aspects of my life. It gives me the increased energy, strength and stamina needed to get through the busiest of days.

I'll bicycle ride instead of taking a car, walk entire flights of steps rather than taking an elevator, do bodyweight pushups, crunches, squats in-between performing other tasks etc. And then, working out itself can effectively consume as little as 2-3 hours every week. All these things really start to add up toward total health and viability.

BTW, I find running to be an inefficient form of exercise... not to mention it's damaging to your joints. You want to lose weight without building muscle; you need to do cardio. Something like 30 minutes, 3-4x a week. But more importantly, diet, diet, diet. More foods with a low glycemic index, over refined carbs and sugars etc.