working out your chest

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's the laydown.

I started on propecia, and I'm paranoid as hell about gyno. I'm fat already, so I already have manboobs sort of. But because I'm thinking about it, it feels as if they're bigger than usual, or more noticeable or something.

So I want to know what to do to get a flat chest. (preferably flat stomach too).

I don't want to have to go to the gym, just tell me workouts I can do from home, or whilst I'm going about my day to day business.

Would walking alot help? Would dieting help? Would running help? Pushups? Situps? What would help me lose fat in the chest and stomach areas?

Thanks.

Goingat20

Reaction score
well losing fat on chest and stomach will involve a healthy diet, this is crucial. Secondly you will have to tone your chest and stomach by doing some gym work. If your not up for going to the gym, you can do push ups and sit ups as well as stecthes. I would suggest a high protein low carb diet, plan what you will eat daily and be strict. Drink plenty of water and stay away from soda, stay away from fatty foods and sugar. Everything which involves you burning eneryy (which comes from the food you eat) will, so i would suggest running over walking so you can burn more energy. You can start off walking and gradually work your way up. You could also look into meal replacements (like shakes) which will give you the nourishment and benefits froma meal, but in a low fat compact form. Diet is number one, exercise is also very important. Goodluck

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't cook my own meals at home. What can I do about this? When I come home, there's heaps of good food lying around waiting to be eaten. This is what kills me, I spend the whole day trying to be healthy, then I pig out at night.

I guess I need discipline, but what should I substitute with? Or should I just eat less of whatever is at home?

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Tell whoever is making all that food that you want to start loosing weight.

Goingat20

Reaction score
person_123 said:
I don't cook my own meals at home. What can I do about this? When I come home, there's heaps of good food lying around waiting to be eaten. This is what kills me, I spend the whole day trying to be healthy, then I pig out at night.

I guess I need discipline, but what should I substitute with? Or should I just eat less of whatever is at home?

well high protein foods which are low in calorie: egg whites, tuna (these are your cheaper options which wont require you to c***)

On your way home greab some lean chiken breasts n vegies. You have to eat a slot of vegatables, fruits and salads. Do not snack during the day, also limit your food at night. Like after 8pm nothing goes in your mouth besides water. Being lean is worth it! BE STRONG! and your results will keep you at it

Goingat20

Reaction score
you could also have 5-6 small meals a day than 3 big meals, with will increase your metabolism.

eg
breakfast: 3-4 egg whites and some cereal
Meal 2: small can of tuna and a piece of fruit
Lunch: HealthySandwhich of you choice (wholemeal bread)
Dinner: Chicken/ meat and vegies
Meal 5: meal replacement shake (this should suppress your appetite till you sleep)
at least 2-3 L of water

powersam

Reaction score
the above is great advice. you would not believe the great effect eating smaller meals more often can have. and an easy way to regulate it is plate or bowl size.

CCS

Reaction score
the best way to lose fat on the chest is through cardio, though once you build up enough muscle, that can burn more calories than the cardio because muscle burns calories even when you are not exercising.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
See losing weight tips thread.

That's the least helpful peice of advice. I posted a topic so I could ask for specifics. I didn't want to simply be referred to another topic.

Anyway. Thanks to everybody else for their input. I've decided to restrict my diet, the no food after 8 sounds like a good idea. How about dairy products? Milk, cheese, etc. Can I still drink full cream milk and have cheese in my sandwiches?

I've taken to walking wherever I can as well. This is just part of day to day routine, as in, getting around the place, haven't really got time to do some running.

Mainly I just want to lose weight in chest and stomach through everyday routines, and changing diet. I don't have enough time to be going to the gym and running around the block.

jfglover

Reaction score
Actually... the best way to start trimming up and be able to lose any fat period is to gain muscle. I recommend cardio in your work out... but, hit the weights.

Logic dictates that the largest muscles in your body are your legs. For every 1 pound of muscle you gain your body will burn an extra 500 calories a day. Whether your moving or not. So... if you target your legs with the goal to gain 3 pounds of muscle...

Theres 1500 calories of extra burn a day to remove fat from your waist line and man boobage. You could do squats at home with your legs... sprinting is good and explosive.

JG

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I think 1lb of muscle burns around 50 calories per day, not 500! Still a great way to use up those cals, it's what lets me pack down so much food... mmm, doughnuts!

IBM

Reaction score
person_123 said:
IBM said:
See losing weight tips thread.

That's the least helpful peice of advice. I posted a topic so I could ask for specifics. I didn't want to simply be referred to another topic.

If you read that thread you would know some of my tecniques to have an healthy weight.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Do muscles really burn calories? Or is it only the maintenance of muscles that burn calories? If you are muscly, and don't exercise, all that muscle turns back into fat doesn't it?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Muscles burn calories. They dont turn back to fat they can only atrophy, (this means get smaller/waste away). If you dont use them.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Any home workouts for the side of your chest?

I'll be more specific. I have fat under my arm pits. As in, directly to the right/left of nipples, at my side. Above love handles.

What workouts will burn fat there? Or is it only dieting? And is fat there normal for slightly overweight people?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes it is a bit unusaul to have fat there unless you are obese! There are no ways to burn fat in any isolated area, as you workout and diet the fat will slowly burn up from all over your body.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm definately not obese. But I do have a bit of fat there. What the hell is going on then? It isn't alot of fat, if I reach around behind there to my back, there is about the same amount of fat on my back? Is this normal as well? Are our bodies supposed to be covered in a layer of lard?

And when I lift up my arms, that whole area looks fine, I'm guessing because the fat is spread out more evenly. I don't know if this helps you diagnose anything, but I thought I'd tell you so you get a better idea of things.

jfglover

Reaction score
BURNING FAT PERIOD. Its a MISCONCEPTION that you work out that particular area to do it.

You gain muscle to eat the fat. Quickest easiest way is to build muscle with you largest muscles groups. Largest muscle group = legs. So.. if you ever want a 6 pack... don't do crunches thinking you will get it. Work out your big muscles groups to put on extra pounds of muscle to help burn that fat trimming anywhere on your body.

None of this happens overnight... but, don't be the poor slob doing crunches and side bends thinking that will trim your waistline since your working your mid section.

JG