Working out = hair loss?

johnbbbb

Reaction score
I don't think working out = hair loss. The percentage of bald guys I see at my gym seems to be more or less the same as the general population.

How would working out make you more genetically predisposed to going bald anyway? Two friends of mine are fat and disgusting and are both NW1s. You would think the further out of shape you are the more likely you would be to lose hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
blonde_john said:
Two friends of mine are fat and disgusting and are both NW1s. You would think the further out of shape you are the more likely you would be to lose hair.

Why? its not a health issue.

s.a.f

Reaction score
shineman921 said:
Well, I'm pretty damn sure it caused mine and I ain't changing my mind.

And some believe its caused by shampoo, some by lack of bloodflow, some by lack of vitamins, some by hard water, some by smoking .......

And they're all wrong aswell. :whistle:

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
shineman921 said:
Well, I'm pretty damn sure it caused mine and I ain't changing my mind.

And some believe its caused by shampoo, some by lack of bloodflow, some by lack of vitamins, some by hard water, some by smoking .......

And they're all wrong aswell. :whistle:

I'm pretty sure the Tories austerity measures are having a negative impact on UK male hairloss too!

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="blonde_john":2xmhxkrq] Two friends of mine are fat and disgusting and are both NW1s. You would think the further out of shape you are the more likely you would be to lose hair.

Why? its not a health issue.[/quote:2xmhxkrq]

I think he's just saying it seems more fair that the people who take terrible care of themselves should also lose hair.

However, it isn't a health issue, so it doesn't matter.

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been workout out of n on for the last few years and really up'd the notch in the last 5 months.. My results have been great but my shedding has also increased...damn:(

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I havent even started my cardio yet, just lifting heavier, eating a lot more protein... thankfully my shedding has stopped/slowed these days and its a shame to corned with the decision of "great boby/bad hair or avarage body/ avarage hair?

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
There could be many things attributing to thinning hair. Don't skip out on physical exercise just based on a hunch. People need to stop letting hair loss control their lives.

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
I couldnt agree with you more.
I held back for years in pushing my body to greater limits, afraid on what effect it may have had on my hair? But now i have no boundaries, achieving great results, furthermore feeling even better AND MORE CONFIDENT about myself as a result.

Scottzuh

Reaction score
should i should stop going to the gym?? Weight lifting facilitates hair loss?? and there i was thinking about all the benefits of excercise ... :mad::mad::mad:
Do i stopp working out now? ive gotten a decent body in 2 years

i want to know if the rumours are true.. do i need to stop working out to slow down my hair loss? Whats the facts here?

Last year, I stopped working out to see if it would help my hair. At first I just stopped lifting heavy weights. Then I stopped running and got lazy and I noticed more hair loss than when I was working out. Working out has it's benefits to the body and I think the change of suddenly not working out is just too much of a shock on the body.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I know the 'don't stop working out for your hair, it's so healthy and having a great body is even more important than hair' story, but does anyone have actual scientific proof in one or the other direction? That working out with weights doesn't increase hair loss or that it is in fact bad for your hair? I'd really like to know because these days I can't workout to the fullest extent, because I just stay worried about further hair loss..

The way I see it, it's like this: higher testosteron -> higher DHT -> faster hair loss to those who are prone to alopecia androgenetica.

E.g. T value of ~100 -> 10% is converted to DHT -> DHT value of ~10.
E.g. Someone who works out a lot: T value of ~140 -> 10% is converted to DHT -> DHT value of ~14 (that's almost 50% more DHT!)
E.g. Someone who uses finasteride: T value of ~100 -> 3% is converted to DHT -> DHT value of ~3
E.g. Some who works out and uses finasteride: T value of ~140 -> 3% is converted to DHT -> DHT value of ~4,2 (that more than 30% more DHT!)

If we look at it like this, working out does indeed a lot of damage. Although one could say the damage is far less when on finasteride (or dutasteride for that matter), it's still worse than not working out…

Maybe those who are on finasteride and work out, can tolerate more DHT reduction. Maybe they are less prone to suffer side effects? Or maybe they should get more DHT blocked by, for instance, adding dutasteride a few times per week.

Any thoughts?

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys just don't work out? Or you're not bothered by the potential havoc it's creating on your hair?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just because your T levels spike doesn't mean the DHT will to.
If you are really worried just whack it pre and post gym.....

also the T level boost you will get is incremental unless your pumping roids but then you deserve to lose the hair.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony Horton still has his hair. I think he's mid 50's.

That's a poor answer. Those who aren't prone to AA, won't lose their hair. Not even with the wordt steroids. I guess you didn't understand my post.

@swingline747: The amount of DHT in the blood is a percentage from your testosteron. So when your testosteron spikes, so does your DHT. In my example I used 40% test for someone that works out. That's a fairly realistic percentage if you look it up.

chemicalbrother

Established Member
Reaction score
So, in this theory, guys that lift heavy stuff for a living (let's say : movers) will lose their hair faster (when prone to AA) than someone sitting at a desk all day ?

Article from 2008 to support the correlation between weight lifting and hairloss (srsly: I wouldn't even call it 'research' ... just a statement by some practice specializing in hair transplants: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2008...k-baldness-weight-lifting/UPI-84821209238584/
This is a reaction published in Medical News Today (in 2010) on the article from 2008: http://www.livestrong.com/article/322817-lifting-weights-hair-loss/