Women Who Have Totally Bald Fathers. What's Going On With Your Head

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When a bald father has a son, he will most likely follow the father's fate and will go bald just like his father. But what if this father has a daughter. Will she go bald just like his father but in female pattern if she is destined to? I know there is less activity in this section and I would like some attention, because I am curious. The question is for females who have Norwood 6/7 father who went bald at young age. Especially ones who have a maternal grandfather who went bald too or strong family history on both sides.
What would happen to woman if she has the genetic susceptibility to become Norwood 7 if she was a man. Will she experience advanced female pattern hair loss at young age.

Bluelilac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m a female and am balding in a Norwood plus diffuse pattern. I have balding receded temples and also lost my temple points. My hair is diffusely thinned all over too. My top was intact which is the exact opposite of Lugwig pattern, but now that appears to be thinning too. I’m only 31 and I started noticing the sides of my head thinning in my late 20s. It was all made worse thanks to a massive Telogen Effluvium shed I had from the flu and a bad fever.

My dad is bald, not totally bald but you know what I mean. I don’t know what Norwood he is, he has a unique pattern. His sides are actually thicker than mine, but he has a weird pattern where it’s not a horseshoe, it’s just like bald all across his forehead and he has very little hair on top...but it doesn’t look like a horseshoe either. My grandfather’s hair is the exact same way. Soooo I’m either going to end up like them or worse since my sides are all receded, temples and forehead receded, and my nape is too in addition to diffuse thinning everywhere.

I actually used to look at my mom’s hair and feel so thankful that she had nice hair that she has maintained into her older age and I always had nice healthy long hair and felt secure it would be just like hers as I aged. I even thought it was a good sign my dad wasn’t all THAT bald and that as a woman that was like extra protection against balding because in my mind (back before I knew anything about Androgenetic Alopecia) I thought my chances of ever ending up with thinning hair were so slim because my dad wasn’t even bald until he was older and he’s still not totally bald.

I have atypical “lean pcos” AKA the doctors don’t know what the hell is wrong with me as I have a ton of contradictory biochemical and clinical evidence in terms of a PCOS diagnosis. I also wasn’t diagnosed until I was 30. I personally don’t think it’s classic pcos as I don’t have the hallmark features and I have abnormal levels for two of the hormones that they check for to RULE OUT pcos. I think whatever is wrong with my endocrine system is what kicked on the Androgenetic Alopecia gene or the early expression of it. I don’t even have elevated androgens and my DHT doesn’t even register on the lab range it is so low. It’s clearly a genetic sensitivity. I gave up trying to figure it out at this point because I’ve tried everything and am in major medical debt from it all.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m a female and am balding in a Norwood plus diffuse pattern. I have balding receded temples and also lost my temple points. My hair is diffusely thinned all over too. My top was intact which is the exact opposite of Lugwig pattern, but now that appears to be thinning too. I’m only 31 and I started noticing the sides of my head thinning in my late 20s. It was all made worse thanks to a massive Telogen Effluvium shed I had from the flu and a bad fever.

My dad is bald, not totally bald but you know what I mean. I don’t know what Norwood he is, he has a unique pattern. His sides are actually thicker than mine, but he has a weird pattern where it’s not a horseshoe, it’s just like bald all across his forehead and he has very little hair on top...but it doesn’t look like a horseshoe either. My grandfather’s hair is the exact same way. Soooo I’m either going to end up like them or worse since my sides are all receded, temples and forehead receded, and my nape is too in addition to diffuse thinning everywhere.

I actually used to look at my mom’s hair and feel so thankful that she had nice hair that she has maintained into her older age and I always had nice healthy long hair and felt secure it would be just like hers as I aged. I even thought it was a good sign my dad wasn’t all THAT bald and that as a woman that was like extra protection against balding because in my mind (back before I knew anything about Androgenetic Alopecia) I thought my chances of ever ending up with thinning hair were so slim because my dad wasn’t even bald until he was older and he’s still not totally bald.

I have atypical “lean pcos” AKA the doctors don’t know what the hell is wrong with me as I have a ton of contradictory biochemical and clinical evidence in terms of a PCOS diagnosis. I also wasn’t diagnosed until I was 30. I personally don’t think it’s classic pcos as I don’t have the hallmark features and I have abnormal levels for two of the hormones that they check for to RULE OUT pcos. I think whatever is wrong with my endocrine system is what kicked on the Androgenetic Alopecia gene or the early expression of it. I don’t even have elevated androgens and my DHT doesn’t even register on the lab range it is so low. It’s clearly a genetic sensitivity. I gave up trying to figure it out at this point because I’ve tried everything and am in major medical debt from it all.
By the sounds we have the same pattern. Mine started when I was 19, mostly likely due to having basically no female hormones after years of anorexia. Likely just kickstarted my genetic sensitivity as you said. My dad is bald diffusely with receded sides and 0 temple point left. Like big scoops taken out of his hairline. He and my grandmother also have lost brows and lashes with age, and have super fine body hair. It’s a weird part of our families Androgenetic Alopecia that brow and lash thinning and loss goes with it. I first noticed my nape was keeping up, then I realised my hairline was receding all the way around like a shrinking puddle. Everywhere was thinning. Where my hairline used to be was left completely bare. Then my eyebrows and lashes started to go. Everything oh my body turned into downy, fine hair that was thinner than normal hair and much shorter. Finally I got a scalp biopsy which told me I have Androgenetic Alopecia and i started using oral and topical Minoxidil mid 2015. It regrew my hairline and then some, and really helped my body hair, but also made me shed buckets constantly and came with waves of growth and recession. I’m still using these because I’ve tried every hormonal drug under the sun, and these just don’t seem to do a single thing for me. My hair is not is good shape. I feel that cortisol and prolactin probably plays larger roles in female Androgenetic Alopecia than we think. For how I have nothing.

Bluelilac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By the sounds we have the same pattern. Mine started when I was 19, mostly likely due to having basically no female hormones after years of anorexia. Likely just kickstarted my genetic sensitivity as you said. My dad is bald diffusely with receded sides and 0 temple point left. Like big scoops taken out of his hairline. He and my grandmother also have lost brows and lashes with age, and have super fine body hair. It’s a weird part of our families Androgenetic Alopecia that brow and lash thinning and loss goes with it. I first noticed my nape was keeping up, then I realised my hairline was receding all the way around like a shrinking puddle. Everywhere was thinning. Where my hairline used to be was left completely bare. Then my eyebrows and lashes started to go. Everything oh my body turned into downy, fine hair that was thinner than normal hair and much shorter. Finally I got a scalp biopsy which told me I have Androgenetic Alopecia and i started using oral and topical Minoxidil mid 2015. It regrew my hairline and then some, and really helped my body hair, but also made me shed buckets constantly and came with waves of growth and recession. I’m still using these because I’ve tried every hormonal drug under the sun, and these just don’t seem to do a single thing for me. My hair is not is good shape. I feel that cortisol and prolactin probably plays larger roles in female Androgenetic Alopecia than we think. For how I have nothing.

Yep. Sounds like the same pattern. I haven’t tried meds to lower prolactin despite having on and off elevated levels, but no endo offered them after my clear MRI. Same goes for cortisol, but no doctor will give you keto or korlym unless you have a tumor. I have a prescription for oral minoxidil but I’m scared to start it. I’ve used topical for over a year with zero results, so who knows if it’ll even help if I’m unresponsive to topical, but if it does has an effect, I’m so worried about a dread shed because I don’t have enough left for that. It’ll put me in a wig. I also have acquired progressive Kinking, did you experience this? I’m pretty sure that’s why my loss is so rapid and aggressive. Def. more is at play then just DHT.

Bluelilac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Would you recommend oral minoxidil? Should I start it?