Will There Be A Cure For Baldness In 3 Years Time?

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My expectation:

Histogen will cost $10,000, and improve hair for 1 or 2 norwoods lasting a few years, maybe a bit longer for someone like myself with moderately aggressive hair loss.

In Gail's interview with HairLossTalk.com she already stated the cost would be much less than $10k.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
In Gail's interview with hair loss talk she already stated the cost would be much less than $10k.
Perhaps in Mexico, where you'll instead pay for multiple airplane tickets and hotels to have three injections over six months.

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Byyeee byyeeee Nadjaaaaaaa :) And good luck with your breakouth-er and fabulous dermatos ( who is RESEARCHER, don't forget it )

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps in Mexico, where you'll instead pay for multiple airplane tickets and hotels to have three injections over six months.

IF Histogen ever gets released (big if)

They claimed it would cost $600-800 I think per injection. Some would need the full 3, others could get by with 2 and accept less growth?
Either way, for people not in the US, the plane tickets+accom will cost more than the injections.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As long as scientists continue to approach male pattern baldness as a disorder that exclusively affects the hair follicle,and as long as they continue to experiment on mice (who don't develop male pattern baldness),i don't see a cure ever hitting our door.Perhaps only by chance,like in the case of minoxidil.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
As long as scientists continue to approach male pattern baldness as a disorder that exclusively affects the hair follicle,and as long as they continue to experiment on mice (who don't develop male pattern baldness),i don't see a cure ever hitting our door.Perhaps only by chance,like in the case of minoxidil.

How fortunate for us then, that male pattern baldness is a problem that affects the hair follicle and they also test in humans.

Your free to your opinion, but it is absurd. Following your logic, there should be no solution to just about any disease ever, but that's not the case.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How fortunate for us then, that male pattern baldness is a problem that affects the hair follicle and they also test in humans.

Your free to your opinion, but it is absurd. Following your logic, there should be no solution to just about any disease ever, but that's not the case.
I didn't say that male pattern baldness doesn't affect the hair follicle,i said that it doesn't exclusively affect the hair follicle,it also affects the underlying connective tissues of the scalp.
And no,scientists don't experiment on people,they conduct clinical trials on them,there's a difference.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Following your logic, there should be no solution to just about any disease ever, but that's not the case.
Mice develop cancer,so it's reasonable to artificially create tumors on them and then experimenting on a cure.
But mice don't develop male pattern baldness,hair disorders in mice are not androgen related and don't develop the typical pattern of male pattern baldness.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Conventional hair transplants work = most arguments about skin changes caused by the balding process are irrelevant with healthy follicles.

As for the mice argument, researchers know it's a flawed model for baldness but there isn't a cost-effective better one. I don't blame them for using mice as long as they don't go around overstating what it proves. Some of them do this but the respectable ones don't.

Mainstream media press writers habitually take publicized discoveries and assume they represent more progress than they do. Everybody wants a juicy story.

FoucaultII

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mice develop cancer,so it's reasonable to artificially create tumors on them and then experimenting on a cure.
But mice don't develop male pattern baldness,hair disorders in mice are not androgen related and don't develop the typical pattern of male pattern baldness.
Μην τον συμμερίζεσαι αυτόν. Είναι ψυχοπαθής. Αγνόησέ τον!

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Humans develop male pattern baldness and they are experimented on. The development of finasteride directly comes from studying prostate disorders as far back as the 70s and it was discovered that in at least one family, men with low dht did not seem to develop male pattern baldness. Thus, finasteride was synthesized as a two birds, one stone medication first released as prostate meds.

Second, your mouse argument falls on its face because most of the current experiments on them are not for treating the underlying cause of male pattern baldness, but rather for creating entirely new follicles. This is also something that has been done in humans.

So I can't agree with your position that because the model in question doesn't develop the condition, that no discovery suitable for treatment could ever arise from it.

donsf448

My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a post on Hairloss talk that shows the progression of multiple new treatments that have reached Phase III. Consulting a few of my friends who work in pharmaceutical research (though not hair restoration), Phase III is pretty legitimate and once something has reached that stage its only a matter of 1-2 years before it can reach the market.

donsf448

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, Follica is looking like the first to market, but it's an open question if it works. They may not even need to prove efficacy for it to be released depending upon how it's regulated.
Isn't follica basically dermarolling/microneedling with minoxidil? Seems like they just took that study that came out of india and threw some dermatology heavyweights behind it.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not dermarolling, dermabrasion. It's a more severe injury to the skin.

Follica has done a lot of research into appropriate timing of administering meds in relation to the injury/aftermath. I'm hoping that perhaps they hit on something there.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Humans develop male pattern baldness and they are experimented on. The development of finasteride directly comes from studying prostate disorders as far back as the 70s and it was discovered that in at least one family, men with low dht did not seem to develop male pattern baldness. Thus, finasteride was synthesized as a two birds, one stone medication first released as prostate meds.

Second, your mouse argument falls on its face because most of the current experiments on them are not for treating the underlying cause of male pattern baldness, but rather for creating entirely new follicles. This is also something that has been done in humans.

So I can't agree with your position that because the model in question doesn't develop the condition, that no discovery suitable for treatment could ever arise from it.
I doubt you've even convinced yourself with these arguments,but anyway.