Why things take so long?

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think that calculator is a bit too generous? Hitting all seven areas at 35 grafts per cm[SUP]2[/SUP] would require "only" 6260 grafts.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else think that calculator is a bit too generous? Hitting all seven areas at 35 grafts per cm[SUP]2[/SUP] would require "only" 6260 grafts.

Yes the calculator is wrong once you get past the first 2 zones. Very inaccurate. To cover a NW6 plus area I would guess you're looking at around 16-17000 grafts and even then I think the hair would still feel very thin and may even show scalp under harsh sunlight.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes the calculator is wrong once you get past the first 2 zones. Very inaccurate. To cover a NW6 plus area I would guess you're looking at around 16-17000 grafts and even then I think the hair would still feel very thin and may even show scalp under harsh sunlight.

Average area of NW6 is around 175cm/2. To fill that at a normal density of about 60 grafts per cm/2 is 175 * 60 = 10,500. You could play it safe and assume it's 200cm/2 and then it's still 12,000.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Around 25000€/US $. Almost half of that if you fly to Belgium or Turkey.

That's about half a year's savings for me. Think instead I will "maintain" and wait for news and developments with Replicel/Shiseido and Histogen between now and 2018. It sounds very exciting and could well prove to be more cost efficient than hair transplant and-or in combination. I know what they say about living for the moment and stuff, but two years isn't that long from now.

MickChong

Established Member
Reaction score
That's about half a year's savings for me. Think instead I will "maintain" and wait for news and developments with Replicel/Shiseido and Histogen between now and 2018. It sounds very exciting and could well prove to be more cost efficient than hair transplant and-or in combination. I know what they say about living for the moment and stuff, but two years isn't that long from now.

I understand your logic, but if you go back 15 years ago on these forums, you will see people having the same discussions as we are today. A thread was bumped the other day and it was 2010, they were discussing Histogen etc. There's no guarantee these things will be released and we don't really know if they'll work for everyone. Furthermore, we have no idea about side effects and won't do for decades. Our option is finasteride, even after 20 years of action, we don't know why this drug gives side effects to some and not to others. We have no idea what damage it does to our liver, we have no idea if it cause infertility in some people and more side effects that we're not aware of. This is after 20 years on the market. So even if a new treatment comes out, how will we know that it is safe? Based on trials? Don't trials show finasteride to be safe? The reality seems different.

The only serious option in my eyes is a hair transplant. I could be wrong, I must admit, I am certainly no expert, but I haven't seen anything else that can give you some hair.

The fact that they can transplant hair, it remains and grows is a massive positive. The only issue now is improvement of this technique (which is happening) to make sure scars are less eliminated and donors can be regenerated.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only way I might consider hair transplant is if something like Histogen could give me a result close to or almost as good as Craig Ziering's test patient, the one depicted in the Histogen thread photo. Those before and after photos blew me away.

Yes it's entirely possible that neither Histogen nor Replicel/Shiseido will be on the market by 2018, although I can't recall a time when we had at least two North American companies claiming they will bring cell therapy procedures for hair loss to market in 18 to 24 months. Histogen and Replicel have made announcements about milestones to be achieved leading up to commercial procedures between now and then. It's not like we'll be in the dark about progress, like everyone was 15 years ago.

This is somewhat exciting I think. And so what if...? What if we receive a steady stream of good news from those companies between now and 2017/18? I think it wouldn't hurt to hold off on hair transplant for at least a little while longer. We might end up only needing half or a third or a quarter as many FUTs, FUEs or whatever the case is. Who knows, really, but I think this next year to year and half could be interesting.

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
IF i was Bill Gates i would give money even it i had full head of hair. Peapole are scums. If i was that rich i would try help in all aspekt in this world. We live in hell guys this world is so ****ed upp

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
With the due respect,
"If I was Bill Gates, I would money to fight hunger and poverty, before than hair loss treatment"

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If only someone were to perfect hair cloning....
I wouldn't have to take a pill everyday

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no cure and there won't be one in our lifetimes. Deal with it.

Will you stop mocking Fred.. I get it, it's kinda funny. But, this is lame and probably offensive to him. Give the guy a break.

Dar

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had my life almost completely destroyed by experiencing severe hair loss by the age of 16.

I've seen other people's lives being affected by hair loss, and the stigma is so high that even they will convince themselves it's not the hair loss.

My cousin suffered from alopecia areata for 1 year at the age of 21, one year he spent locked up in his room, but he didn't dare to say it was because of the hair loss.

He said it was because he liked staying at home (please). My family repeated the same BS, because there's no way hair loss can do that to a human being.

"It can only do that to you Fred! You were so obsessed! You see, your cousin just liked to stay inside when he had bald patches all over his head!"

Same with other men I've seen go bald young: they became less and less social, or never posted a Facebook picture of themselves again for example.

If you ask them, even they will tell you it had nothing to do with their hair loss. While also adding that you're being paranoid of course.

Come on man! You start diffusing and all of a sudden, you don't even dare to put one picture on Facebook. Complete coincidence!

They just cannot possibly admit what hair loss can do that a human being, especially in the years that are supposed to be the best of their life.

No one among your family will admit it, no one among your friends, no member of this society, so of course, the people giving the green light for funding think the same.

Even bald men who have suffered a lot from hair loss won't admit it's been a problem for them. They won't even hesitate to take a shot at other bald men, and call them weak.

That's how most men react to hardship unfortunately, we have been taught to suck it up, to never show any sign of weakness.

For one bald man like hellouser or me who will publicly admit we have suffered because of our hair loss, there will be a hundred who will pretend not to care, while they do.

The other problem that hellouser has already mentioned many times:

Even if millions of bald men came forward and pushed for a baldness cure, an army of angry feminists and their white knights would hysterically laugh at us, call us crybabies and tell us to man up.

If someone has ideas on how to solve this problem, he should come forward. We definitely could start a grassroots movement. But I won't lie, I would be afraid to go that way.

Who wants to put their *** on the line and get a tattoo on their forehead that says "crybaby" for the rest of their life? So we would get back to square one: no one cares about men's issues.

Even the male suicide epidemic doesn't make the general public raise an eyebrow. If only men could unite and work together for their common interest.

But men are wired to care about women first, that's why we have countless awareness campaigns about the tiniest issue women may suffer from, but nearly nothing for men.

I don't think men who say suck it up don't care care about their hairloss....they probably did at one point....but came to accept it and not dwell on it every waking moment....

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had my life almost completely destroyed by experiencing severe hair loss by the age of 16.

I've seen other people's lives being affected by hair loss, and the stigma is so high that even they will convince themselves it's not the hair loss.

My cousin suffered from alopecia areata for 1 year at the age of 21, one year he spent locked up in his room, but he didn't dare to say it was because of the hair loss.

He said it was because he liked staying at home (please). My family repeated the same BS, because there's no way hair loss can do that to a human being.

"It can only do that to you Fred! You were so obsessed! You see, your cousin just liked to stay inside when he had bald patches all over his head!"

Same with other men I've seen go bald young: they became less and less social, or never posted a Facebook picture of themselves again for example.

If you ask them, even they will tell you it had nothing to do with their hair loss. While also adding that you're being paranoid of course.

Come on man! You start diffusing and all of a sudden, you don't even dare to put one picture on Facebook. Complete coincidence!

They just cannot possibly admit what hair loss can do that a human being, especially in the years that are supposed to be the best of their life.

No one among your family will admit it, no one among your friends, no member of this society, so of course, the people giving the green light for funding think the same.

Even bald men who have suffered a lot from hair loss won't admit it's been a problem for them. They won't even hesitate to take a shot at other bald men, and call them weak.

That's how most men react to hardship unfortunately, we have been taught to suck it up, to never show any sign of weakness.

For one bald man like hellouser or me who will publicly admit we have suffered because of our hair loss, there will be a hundred who will pretend not to care, while they do.

The other problem that hellouser has already mentioned many times:

Even if millions of bald men came forward and pushed for a baldness cure, an army of angry feminists and their white knights would hysterically laugh at us, call us crybabies and tell us to man up.

If someone has ideas on how to solve this problem, he should come forward. We definitely could start a grassroots movement. But I won't lie, I would be afraid to go that way.

Who wants to put their *** on the line and get a tattoo on their forehead that says "crybaby" for the rest of their life? So we would get back to square one: no one cares about men's issues.

Even the male suicide epidemic doesn't make the general public raise an eyebrow. If only men could unite and work together for their common interest.

But men are wired to care about women first, that's why we have countless awareness campaigns about the tiniest issue women may suffer from, but nearly nothing for men.

Agreed with it for the most part. Btw, I did openly admit that it was extremely depressing for me to lose hair. Fortunately for me, people didn't react that way, though. They did understand the problem and did say that they would "go paranoid" if it ever happened to them. They did sympathise. Not that that made me feel any better, but at least it did not make me feel worse either.

The only thing I noticed was that doctors are extremely reserved and hesitant to prescribe anything for hair loss as one should accept baldness according to most of them (yup the Doctor was a NW1), even if you're a teenager. Of course, only a moron thinks like that.