Why is BALDNESS perceived as UGLINESS by so many?

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
..no im not wrong.

men look for phsyical attractiveness more than women do because the younger they are the better they are at having babies. women like social status and so on more so they get looked after.

it doesnt mean women dont like good looks too.

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Remember there are guys out there who had old style plugs in the 70's and they are still growing strong.

oh didnt know that. I was just curious. Its not for me though

No your missing the point I'm talking about the way that you are seen which is the initial way that you are accesssed in the eyes of the general public, obviously talking to people comes afterwards.

I did kind of jump the gun. But back to the initial perception I think its more important about your confidence than any amount of hair. You could have hair like Cousin It and people wouldnt have a good perception of you because of the way you carry yourself

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes woman look for guys who have strong healthy genes for the potential father of their children. Security etc is a secondary choice. (women want the best of both worlds)

barcafan

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Yes woman look for guys who have strong healthy genes for the potential father of their children. Security etc is a secondary choice. (women want the best of both worlds)

or MAYBE they're just shallow greedy b****s?

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
MSFB said:
..no im not wrong.

men look for phsyical attractiveness more than women do because the younger they are the better they are at having babies. women like social status and so on more so they get looked after.

it doesnt mean women dont like good looks too.

I'm sure they do, but they place much less importance on it than men do. Trust me. I'll agree with you that if you had Man A and Man B who were equal in social stature, wealth, prospects, personality, charisma, etc then looks will start to come into it. But I'm sure there is one item in there that you can alter to give yourself the edge.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

What's that got to do with hairloss? Being bald is not weakness.

It's worth reading this Wikpedia article. Now I know Wiki is hardly the most reliable source, but I can't be bothered to look for another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractiveness

Women really don't place anywhere near as much emphasis on looks as we think, and from an evolutionary perspective a good provider was the main thing they were(are) looking for.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To the two guys rebutting me earlier in the thread, most of the folks are on here to discuss and learn about how battle and beat balding. Some guys are just on here to be neurotic and complain. I'm in the former camp, which are you in? My point, just to re-clarify, is that most folks on here want to try stuff and want things to happen. Heck you see in the various posts by folks like Taug that he has some profound self esteem issues and hairloss is most likely one of the many things he obesses about.

For some, vanity around hair loss does not go away, look at some of the 40-45 year old guys like me on here who are still doing stuff.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I was'nt specifying balding I was specifiying looks. You said women put social standing and the ability to provide above looks. But a given the choice between a successsful businessman with terrible genetic qualities and an average guy with the appeance of good healthy genetics most women would prefer the best physical specimen to be the father of their children.
The wikipedia link shows that women have different opinions on what is important during diiferent stages of the menstrual cycle so in a way we're both right! (as is my comment about them wanting the best of both worlds!)

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I asked some women that work for me, and some said they prefer a good head of hair. So there you go.

But I met the last five women I have been involved with, while I was thinning and balding, and they did not really care.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, the problem is that most guys who are balding and worry about it, have a strange head shape.. or just have a big face or maybe a huge head... or also a very small head or thin stupid face...

I mean, most guys who are balding, are worried, cause the "bald look" would look really ugly on their heads/faces... Speccialy in white palid people like most of us... In most black guys, it looks fine.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I was'nt specifying balding I was specifiying looks. You said women put social standing and the ability to provide above looks. But a given the choice between a successsful businessman with terrible genetic qualities and an average guy with the appeance of good healthy genetics most women would prefer the best physical specimen to be the father of their children.
The wikipedia link shows that women have different opinions on what is important during diiferent stages of the menstrual cycle so in a way we're both right! (as is my comment about them wanting the best of both worlds!)

I think one thing we can agree on is that women don't put as much emphasis on looks as men do, and less than most men think they do.

I guess the problem is that men who are less than perfect in looks have lower self-esteem and self-confidance than their better looking counterparts. The biggest put-off from a womans point of(I would of thought) is a lack of confidence. It's understandable when going through balding or getting fat or whatever, but being comftable and confident around women will be far more effective than a full head of hair.

I'm not saying it's easy of course... that's why I'm here.

HairLessGR

Reaction score
It is purely a matter of culture.
Imagine someone who grew up in a country, a lost forest tribe, a planet.. whatever, where people have no hair at all and then get him to see our world.
I bet he wouldn't stop commenting on how ugly this strange thing people carry on their heads, looks!

Now, has it ever crossed your minds that hair is actually a sign of early evolution stage. I don't think that future generations will have it.
It's more an animal quality i guess.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes HLGR but none of that helps us does it. Eg what if you come from a planet where everyone has 4 legs :D

s.a.f

Reaction score
The Dangerman said:
I think one thing we can agree on is that women don't put as much emphasis on looks as men do, and less than most men think they do.

I guess the problem is that men who are less than perfect in looks have lower self-esteem and self-confidance than their better looking counterparts. The biggest put-off from a womans point of(I would of thought) is a lack of confidence. It's understandable when going through balding or getting fat or whatever, but being comftable and confident around women will be far more effective than a full head of hair.

I'm not saying it's easy of course... that's why I'm here.

I'll agree on that. Its interesting that the wikepedia link also mentions how attractive people are more likely to be percieved as having positive traits eg intelligence, honesty etc.

HairLessGR

Reaction score
i actually think it helps.
it's all in the mind.
it's all in the point of view.

G

I have got no idea why this discussion goes on and on. It is just a fact that baldness makes one less attractive and most women prefer hairy men over bald men. It is just like being overweight. Think for yourself, how many of us are into overweight "girls". Yes, there are a few perverts such as Jayman who are into fat women, but most of us have normal tastes and we prefer slim women. It is the same with baldness. Get used to it, guys!

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
I have got no idea why this discussion goes on and on. It is just a fact that baldness makes one less attractive and most women prefer hairy men over bald men. It is just like being overweight. Think for yourself, how many of us are into overweight "girls". Yes, there are a few perverts such as Jayman who are into fat women, but most of us have normal tastes and we prefer slim women. It is the same with baldness. Get used to it, guys!

f*** off calling people "perverts" just because they like a particular shape of woman :evil:

YOU are the one with perverted, warped thought patterns and wild theories about something you've no experience of!!! :evil: