Why is BALDNESS perceived as UGLINESS by so many?

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Enough is enough! People are so f*kin shallow that it's not even funny. No matter where I look people are associating baldness with being ugly. Sure, there are some who accept it but subconsciously even they might feel that hair is asthetically important.

Today a teammate commented about how an old worker we woked with now looked really intimidating since he had gone bald...how disrespectful can you get? The other day a friend commented on the new Daughtry video by saying the singer would look so much better if he grew out his hair.

The whole media circus makes hairloss sound like an aesthetic disease/nightmare, something that an individual should not have to live with. It's ok to lose hair all over your body, in fact men should SHAVE their faces , chests, etc and perhaps look more appealing BUT they *need* to have hair.

Even my parents, especially my mom view hair as a "must have". I hate it when I see them after several months and they point out how bald I am getting and should try to get married sooner rather than later. I know that their intentions are good and they are great parents, but they just don't understand it's my fu*in DNA's fault not mine. I hate the way they look at my hairline with dismay.

Why can society not acclimate to baldness? Why can't people *truly* begin to see bald as beautiful? Why the hell does the media project baldness as being an ugly, torturous disease?

Sorry to ramble guys, just venting!

KiLLuMiNaTi

Established Member
Reaction score
Its seen as being ugly to others because it is ugly.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Why is being fat ugly?, Why is having acne ugly? Because its undesirable thats just the facts it may not be fair but thats how it is.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
^Exactly. You can't blame other people for being naturally put off by baldness. Most men are turned off by saggy breasts and wrinkles (things that women have no control over either), does that make us shallow too?

G

I don't know, man... not everyone thinks baldness is ugly. I think it's more of a problem in the States than for example here in Finland. Balding is so common in here that I don't think most people view it as ugly. But I've often thought that why the hell are men supposed to shave all other hair except head hair?! What the f*** is up with that?

G

Baldness is ugly, just face it. But at least there are ways how you can stop hairloss or fake real hair with wigs. If you are born with an ugly face like some of us are it is just hopeless.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The site has become really depressing... Is it just me or does anyone else think so? Seriously reading post after post about how woman wont get attracted to a bald man is really depressing. Before I ever knew I was losing my hair, I used to think the bald look was really cool on some people and even wanted to try it myself. But now, I just have this really bad idea of baldness in my head and its come from reading so much of these types of threads.

G

haunted-ballroom said:
The site has become really depressing... Is it just me or does anyone else think so? Seriously reading post after post about how woman wont get attracted to a bald man is really depressing. Before I ever knew I was losing my hair, I used to think the bald look was really cool on some people and even wanted to try it myself. But now, I just have this really bad idea of baldness in my head and its come from reading so much of these types of threads.

When you have a good face there will still be women attracted to you, but you will have to lower your standards. You might also try to compensate your baldness, for example by working out and getting a good body. But the fact remains: You would always be better looking if you still had all your hair.

jackstraw419

Reaction score
Being bald or old is beautiful only when you have money. If you make decent amount of money, then you need to have a look of Vin Diesel.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:
Well it's not like women won't ever be attracted to bald men, it's just that bald men will have a harder time attracting women.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
I don't know, man... not everyone thinks baldness is ugly. I think it's more of a problem in the States than for example here in Finland. Balding is so common in here that I don't think most people view it as ugly. But I've often thought that why the hell are men supposed to shave all other hair except head hair?! What the f*** is up with that?

o rly? since its not a bad idea in finland what prompted you to go online and search for this forum...lol

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
[quote="GrowHairGrow!":3db61]I don't know, man... not everyone thinks baldness is ugly. I think it's more of a problem in the States than for example here in Finland. Balding is so common in here that I don't think most people view it as ugly. But I've often thought that why the hell are men supposed to shave all other hair except head hair?! What the f*** is up with that?

o rly? since its not a bid idea in finland what prompted you to go online and search for this forum...lol[/quote:3db61]

Because it bothers me personally, I like heavy metal so having hair was part of my image. But I see a lot of bald young men here and not a lot of them seem that troubled about it. Lot of BBC'ers also. You're a negative person btw, always looking for trouble even on a hairloss forum. I bet you ain't all that in real life.

Taugenichts said:
When you have a good face there will still be women attracted to you, but you will have to lower your standards. You might also try to compensate your baldness, for example by working out and getting a good body. But the fact remains: You would always be better looking if you still had all your hair.

It's funny how you and CCS should come up with these facts from time to time. You measure everything in percentages, like people are robots or something.

G

Taugenichts said:
haunted-ballroom said:

what are you a CCS clone? at least try to come up with original stuff

G

GrowHairGrow! said:
It's funny how you and CCS should come up with these facts from time to time. You measure everything in percentages, like people are robots or something.

haha i didn't even see your post before making my response

it's funny that i mentioned ccs as well

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:

I am starting to think that Taugenichts is just making fun here otherwise it is simply not possible. Sure it is better to have hair, but believe or not most of the girls don't care if you are Norwood 1 or 2 (OK Norwood 6 is little problematic :lol: )

Anyone who says that your standards will have to be lower according to number of hair lost is ridiculous and I have found that this forum is full of ridiculous and hopeless people. If you spend your time on studying all hormones and mechanismus involved in male pattern baldness, you would already had cure and will by by 2 Norwoods back :lol:

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm shaking my head in disbelief at somepeople in this forum. Some of you really need to get a grip on reality before you become bitter and twisted and ruin the best years of your lives.

Sure, it is desirable to have hair. I'm not denying that. But it's also desirable to be 6 ft tall with a chiselled jaw and 6 pack with a great sense of humour and razorsharp wit. What I'm getting at is nobody is perfect and so the sooner you try and make the best of what you have the better and more fulfilled your lives will be. I shudder to think how some of you would deal with a really bad genetic defect.

There are load of attractive bald men, charismatic, funny, good company etc. Moping around and cursing your bad luck though is an excellent idea to keep the women away.

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
But the fact remains: You would always be better looking if you still had all your hair.

Not necesarily. I for one think that I have a good face for being slick bald but havent plucked up the courage to do it completley yet, Im just buzzing it instead. Took my parents a week or 2 to start liking it. My friends all say I look good with a buzzed head and most say I would look with a shaved head.
But then again this is my personal opinion and people on here will not believe me as you are all fixated on having hair.

Ill give you an example does Billy Zane look better with or without hair?
Does Patrick Stewart look better with or without hair?

These are merely examples to prove that not everyone needs to have hair.

Personally I think its all about confidence.

I think the main problem with baldness/balding is what the media depicts as attractive, they have tried to label balding as something bad and ugly(even though its natural) whereas it isnt a bad thing if your confidence remains intact.
BUT
I can see the forummers points as most of the people on here are late teens/early 20s and they want to be magazine attractive and little do they realise that the women and men shown in glossy magaizine, on films are airbrushed to hell and wear lots of makeup so these looks are not achievable in the first place and they will attract alot more females if they are confident and content with themselves as a whole

G

The Dangerman said:
I'm shaking my head in disbelief at somepeople in this forum. Some of you really need to get a grip on reality before you become bitter and twisted and ruin the best years of your lives.

Sure, it is desirable to have hair. I'm not denying that. But it's also desirable to be 6 ft tall with a chiselled jaw and 6 pack with a great sense of humour and razorsharp wit. What I'm getting at is nobody is perfect and so the sooner you try and make the best of what you have the better and more fulfilled your lives will be. I shudder to think how some of you would deal with a really bad genetic defect.

There are load of attractive bald men, charismatic, funny, good company etc. Moping around and cursing your bad luck though is an excellent idea to keep the women away.

Amen to that.

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
The Dangerman-finally somebody else with sense I thought I was the only one left on this forum since Blondeguy doesnt seem to be posting anymore