Why Doesnt Oral Spironolactone Get Mentioned As Muh Asother Anti-androgens?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't MtF people take a high dose of contraceptives, they usually regain hair not lose, I don't see how raising E and P and tanking Androgens could cause androgenic alopecia unless I'm missing something.
I know it’s weird, but being ON the pill is one of the leading causes of female hairloss. Tinkering with natural hormones will do that, especially if your hormones are healthy to begin with.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't even know Diane 35 raised Progesterone levels, that's some good news I guess. Yeah taking E long term is risky usually it gets prescribed at low doses for a short course so you'll have to see the risk vs benefit of it.

You take 35mg of what exactly, sorry if I misunderstood something but don't get what youre referring to here.

Its amazing how aggressive your hairloss seems to be, you seem to have a very complex case it seems, usually menstrual hairloss is combated by diane 35 so I don't get how it isn't working, probably adding more E should do the trick, youll have a E and P balance and low T.
35mg of ethyl estradiol. It’s a high dose. Honestly, I wonder if anything will help. I also have been taking 2mg oral minoxidil plus twice a day 5% topical. Hasn’t slowed hairloss. It did help to regrow my hairline, but I go throw cycles of regrowth and recession every 3 months. It’s so odd. It is extremely aggressive. I went from normal hair to NW2 within a year.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't even know Diane 35 raised Progesterone levels,

cypro is in Diane and it is a progestin, it activates progesterone receptor. so its synthetic progesterone. but it may not act exactly like the natural kind. The natural kind is a precursor to many other hormones. also the natural kind combines with 5ar and turns into something else.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
cypro is in Diane and it is a progestin, it activates progesterone receptor. so its synthetic progesterone. but it may not act exactly like the natural kind. The natural kind is a precursor to many other hormones. also the natural kind combines with 5ar and turns into something else.
The progesterone in diane35 is scary strong and has f**ked my uterean lining.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn I had no idea ethyl estradiol can be taken in those amounts, that's crazy high. And you still have a E deficiency but you P is high? You must be a biological anomaly, injecting E instead could maybe be better?
i think she meant 35mcg. thats 1 pill.
The progesterone in diane35 is scary strong and has f**ked my uterean lining.
have you considered bio identical progesterone instead?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn I had no idea ethyl estradiol can be taken in those amounts, that's crazy high. And you still have a E deficiency but you P is high? You must be a biological anomaly, injecting E instead could maybe be better?
No that would be dangerous. Yes I’m a biological freak. My sisters have other weird hormonal issues too that are virtually unheard of. :(
Fact is: I have hair miniaturisation. I need to address that. The pill doesn’t help, lowering androgens or T doesn’t help, minoxidil doesn’t stop it, so now onto dutas.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
i think she meant 35mcg. thats 1 pill.

have you considered bio identical progesterone instead?
That stuff builds up in subcutaneous fat and causes all sorts of issues. You can’t use it long term.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
That stuff builds up in subcutaneous fat and causes all sorts of issues. You can’t use it long term.
but normally the body makes it though. and its higher in young women

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
35mg of ethyl estradiol. It’s a high dose. Honestly, I wonder if anything will help. I also have been taking 2mg oral minoxidil plus twice a day 5% topical. Hasn’t slowed hairloss. It did help to regrow my hairline, but I go throw cycles of regrowth and recession every 3 months. It’s so odd. It is extremely aggressive. I went from normal hair to NW2 within a year.

Funny that you bring up every 3 months. I’ve talked to my doctor about how every 3 months I get extremely horny. And notice my hair sheds more around that time too. My doctor said it’s common for men go through a 3 month cycle of elevated male hormones and he called it a meriod. Don’t know if this helps answer anything for you. But figured I’d mention it. Would there be any way for you to get off your regimen and get your hormones corrected first then tackle your DHT issue you believe you have?! Btw anti depressants are known to cause hairloss which I’ve read you have tried some but were sensitive to them. And also suppressing your diet to constant calorie restriction can cause hairloss.
As long as Your follicles aren’t completely dead you’d be able to correct your hormones and maybe even regrow a lot of your hair then following.
I do believe my hairloss was induced because of going on an antidepressant and losing 20 pounds in 2 months because of not eating much and working out intensely. My hair miniatureized and receded and diffusely thinned but I managed to grow most of it back.
Just some food for thought.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Isnt biological progesterone completely metabolized immediately? I thought progesterone can only be taken as analogues.
not that i know of. But i know that there are people who take it. even if its analogue its fine as long as it gets metabolised into bio p in order to raise actual levels. synthetic versions do have a bad reputation for causing problems

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do believe my hairloss was induced because of going on an antidepressant and losing 20 pounds in 2 months because of not eating much and working out intensely. My hair miniatureized and receded and diffusely thinned but I managed to grow most of it back.
I also believe my hair loss was induced by significant weight loss, because there is no history of genetic baldness in my family. I went from 63 kg to 50 kg (172 cm height) in a 2 months period, my diet was very restricted and I exercised 4-5 hours a day. Was constantly very tired and depressive. I have lost 50% of the density very fast, that's unusual for genetic hair loss. Fml.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny that you bring up every 3 months. I’ve talked to my doctor about how every 3 months I get extremely horny. And notice my hair sheds more around that time too. My doctor said it’s common for men go through a 3 month cycle of elevated male hormones and he called it a meriod. Don’t know if this helps answer anything for you. But figured I’d mention it. Would there be any way for you to get off your regimen and get your hormones corrected first then tackle your DHT issue you believe you have?! Btw anti depressants are known to cause hairloss which I’ve read you have tried some but were sensitive to them. And also suppressing your diet to constant calorie restriction can cause hairloss.
As long as Your follicles aren’t completely dead you’d be able to correct your hormones and maybe even regrow a lot of your hair then following.
I strongly agree having a decent amount of body fat is good for hair. I have always been skinny with a high metabolism and my temples turned to bare f*****g skin in no time at all when puberty hit. It is said that women have more aromatase in the temple regions and that bald men have less adipose fat in the temples than fullheads and body fat is one source of aromatase. Also many vitamins are fat soluble and without alot of fat we probably should eat more. defiency is not the same thing as AA but possibly telogen effluvium can happen in combination with AA and because of the AA much harder to get back if anything else causes a shed.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also believe my hair loss was induced by significant weight loss, because there is no history of genetic baldness in my family. I went from 63 kg to 50 kg (172 cm height) in a 2 months period, my diet was very restricted and I exercised 4-5 hours a day. Was constantly very tired and depressive. I have lost 50% of the density very fast, that's unusual for genetic hair loss. Fml.

Same here it wasn’t til shortly after all that had happened to me with in a short period of time my hair started suffering like crazy.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I strongly agree having a decent amount of body fat is good for hair. I have always been skinny with a high metabolism and my temples turned to bare f*****g skin in no time at all when puberty hit. It is said that women have more aromatase in the temple regions and that bald men have less adipose fat in the temples than fullheads and body fat is one source of aromatase. Also many vitamins are fat soluble and without alot of fat we probably should eat more. defiency is not the same thing as AA but possibly telogen effluvium can happen in combination with AA and because of the AA much harder to get back if anything else causes a shed.

I think you’re right. I was craving peanut butter all the time. My body was trying to tell me something and I refused to listen.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you got sides from spironolactone than you must have responded, lower libido and no erections are a sign of that. I cant understand how you were shedding on that. Are you sure you were shedding, you fullheads always exaggerate :p
Haha I wish I was a full head! Realistically I'm probably about a NW2.2
I am positive I was shedding, it was the worst hair fall I ever experienced in my life! Was easily over 200 hairs every single day and close to 100 in the shower. My recent shed is ending I think, the last few days have been better than the last few weeks so I'm hopeful I will regrow my regrowth. I'm not sure if my shed on spironolactone would have ended in eventual regrowth but after 6 months I was fed up with it and my girlfriend was bitching because I couldn't stay hard, so I saw no point in Continuing with treatment. I was optimistic at the start when I experienced the erectile dysfunction but shortly after that the shed began ='(

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I can give my piece of advice. Try dutasteride first, all studies show it is more effective. Sometimes we tend to focus too much on hair and we have the feeling we loose more. Also there are period of sheddings. But in the overall there is no reason dutasterde should work less than finsateride.

I might Jump the spironolactone wagon also! But i wait a bit to see how my hair are going and also what are the results of my friends here. I think there has never been so many straight "normal" (sorry for the word) guys on spironolactone at the moment.
There is so much doubt in my heart about treatments right now, but I do know oral minoxidil works as I initially had some decent regrowth with it ( it is disappearing right now though) so I will keep that indefinitely in my regimen. I don't know if you know my story but I will spare you the details, bottom line is my hair before finasteride was receding but I had thick strands at the hairline. then when I hopped on the stuff my hair strands growing from the root turned almost invisible and made a noticeable difference (to me) in 6 months. The hair grown before was thick and from the point of when I started finasteride the stands suddenly became extremely thin, it looked so weird and my head began itching badly which I still have now, I hope it subsides eventually. I may give dutasteride a chance when I don't have a hairline haha! Then there would be nothing to wreak ;)

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
well, hair is made of protein lol.
Anorexia causes hair loss. I’ve been there, though at the time is was Telogen Effluvium. You do need adequate body fat, believe me. When I started losing my hair for real in 2014 I’d come off th pill earlier that year, gone through a breakup and lost like 8kg. That’s when my hormones bottomed out. I dedicated that whole year to gaining weight and getting healthy. Beginning of 2015 I got a period back after gaining a healthy amount of weight. However, because of the hypothalamic and pituitary issues, the periods were anovulatory, ie, no egg production/release. In short, you have to have adequate body fat for estrogen and other sex hormones, but you also need to have a hypothalamus and pituitary gland that wants to work haha