Why Doesnt Oral Spironolactone Get Mentioned As Muh Asother Anti-androgens?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anorexia causes hair loss. I’ve been there, though at the time is was Telogen Effluvium. You do need adequate body fat, believe me. When I started losing my hair for real in 2014 I’d come off th pill earlier that year, gone through a breakup and lost like 8kg. That’s when my hormones bottomed out. I dedicated that whole year to gaining weight and getting healthy. Beginning of 2015 I got a period back after gaining a healthy amount of weight. However, because of the hypothalamic and pituitary issues, the periods were anovulatory, ie, no egg production/release. In short, you have to have adequate body fat for estrogen and other sex hormones, but you also need to have a hypothalamus and pituitary gland that wants to work haha
so being underweight literally stopped you from bleeding?! holy sh*t.

I think my extreme regimen has slowed my metabolism. I don't feel as hungry all the time and I gained a few pounds and Ive never been able to gain past a certain weight my whole life no matter how much I ate.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think my extreme regimen has slowed my metabolism. I don't feel as hungry all the time and I gained a few pounds and Ive never been able to gain past a certain weight my whole life no matter how much I ate.
Yes. It’s the bodies response to a sick “environment”. No fat or food, no baby. You get below a BMI of about 17 and that’s it. No period.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score

I went from the ages of 15-21 without getting a period normally. Probably why I’m so fucked up, but I can tell you 100% for sure that whenever I got above a BMI of 17-20 it came back

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn 17 days in spironolactone and I'm getting 'horny' again, thankfully its not to the extent were I have to masturbate so its not as bad as when I was before I started dutasteride and spironolactone but its still there.

I was hoping spironolactone would remove that. I'm starting Diane 35 soon maybe that can kill my libido.
I would give spironolactone a chance to work first bud, you may find that it is effective enough to not use the diane 35. Also... Where the heck are you getting all this money from if you are only 19? Affording finasteride and oral minoxidil was cutting my budget tight haha

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I lost the most hair when I was 75kg. I am now 60kg and am seeing less shedding. I don't see how losing weight is correlated to androgen but I may be wrong.

What I meant was losing a lot of weight rapidly and not eating pretty much at all and working out everyday intensely. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months and had started taking an anti depressant a couple months before this and right after I had started to lose my hair like crazy. I assume I was dealing with telogen effluvium when I started to lose my hair but aggravated some AA.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been working since 15 and started another job so I can keep up, plus I spend nothing except on meds, school and an occasional xbox game now and then. I don't go out or travel, live with my parents and with 2 jobs I have saved up quite a lot of money.
Do you have xbox one?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, been playing Paladins recently but Ive been looking at starting Destiny 1, do you also have one (no pun intended)?
I used to be PS4 but that crashed and burned (literally). I got Halo 5, Dark Souls 3 and Roblox, I will Pm you my gamer tag, anyone else is welcome to add me if you guys enjoy some gaming so just ask:D

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
First few days on oral spironolactone at 200mg a day every 12 hours. How soon was it when starting when you guys started to see results? I did insane doses of enzalutmide with zero anti androgen effects so I have doubts this will work for me.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Awesome! I started popping them duta pills 25 days ago and also noted a big reduction in itching and shedding in the last 3 weeks.. Nevertheless I will add spironolactone very soon, because I doubt duta will regrow what I've lost on finasteride these last 10 months, specially at the front..
Another reason is that since my density loss is less than a year old I think the duta+spironolactone combo will do the trick or at least are my best bet right now for some regrowth at the front.. Just hope my follicles didn't go from producing thick hairs to "dead" in 10 months.. :(

If that doesn't work or get MAJOR sides i'm done treating male pattern baldness.. Rather save money for hair systems and hair transplant's :rolleyes:

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone is not popular for a lot of reasons.

Primarily, it is the agent most likely to produce gynecomastia, as it is a SARM.

Roughly, the rates of gyno are as follows:

1) finasteride 1 mg - <1% (case reports only) ref, ref
2) Finasteride 5 mg - 0.3-4.5% ref
3) Dutasteride 0.5 mg - 1.8-2.3% ref
4) Darolutamide 100-900 mg twice daily - 2.4% ref
5) Spironolactone 25-50 mg - 7% ref, ref
6) Spironolactone 75-100 mg - 17% ref, ref
7) Cyproterone - up to 18% ref, ref
8) Flutamide - up to 19% ref
9) Enzalutamide - 49% ref
10) Spironolactone ≥ 150 mg - 52% ref, ref
11) Bicalutamide - 60% ref

Of interest, darolutamide is the strongest antiandrogenic agent on the list yet has the 3rd lowest rate of gyno after finasteride and dutasteride, and that's for daro in massive oral doses.

This has to do primarily with the fact that daro doesn't cross the blood brain barrier and thus doesn't f*** up hormone levels.

spironolactone is also no fun because it makes you piss constantly and it's exhausting. Plus your dick will go mostly limp if you're anything like me.

I really hated spironolactone.
Hey @IdealForehead. I think gyno rate for bicalutamide is little misleading. 60% is the rate for 150mg taken by old man over several years. You don't need 150mg for hairloss. That'd high even for castration.

And on 50mg bicalutamide, chances of gyno drop down drastically.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I respond quickly. It took about 3-4months for it to thicken up regrow and fill in. If you stay on the medication and it works for you I’d say you’d have some thick hair in 6-7months. I mean using a blow dryer and hairspray to tame it. No kidding at all. I really hope this works well for you.
And please keep me updated. I’m definitely curious.
how you even got prescribed spironolactone for purely male pattern baldness from a doctor is totally beyond me.