why does oral min work better than the topical version?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Legit question:
Is it just beccause of the sulfotransferase?
If you apply a lot of topical on a clean scalp, it might target the follicle better?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
so even low dosage like 0.25 mg will result in better result than topical?
I find it weird, maybe this is just more unwanted hair with the oral ( because it target the whole body)

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find it weird, maybe this is just more unwanted hair with the oral ( because it target the whole body)
Maybe 0.25mg is too low for males.
Ive been on it for around 18months. Started with 1mg - 1.25mg daily to 2.5mg then 5mg. It helped a bit, but my face seemed like I was aging fast, so ive come off it. Im on maxogen-x soon to change to dulagen 15 plus no pg and just started ru 5% with 50mg sinifidil. Also dropping the oral finasteride

OnePunch

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is because of 2 facts.

1. Because there's more sulfotransferase in your liver.

2. Because the typical oral dose for men(5mg here in spain at least) is a much higher amount of Minoxidil than the 2ml of Minoxidil recommended daily.

I remember watching a study comparing the efficacy of only 1mg of oral Minoxidil against an application of 1ml each 12 hours(2ml daily) of topical Minoxidil and 1mg of oral Minoxidil daily was more efficient at growing and making hair thicker than 2ml of Minoxidil daily

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is because of 2 facts.

1. Because there's more sulfotransferase in your liver.

2. Because the typical oral dose for men(5mg here in spain at least) is a much higher amount of Minoxidil than the 2ml of Minoxidil recommended daily.

I remember watching a study comparing the efficacy of only 1mg of oral Minoxidil against an application of 1ml each 12 hours(2ml daily) of topical Minoxidil and 1mg of oral Minoxidil daily was more efficient at growing and making hair thicker than 2ml of Minoxidil daily
will it cause just more unwanted hair all over the body? and not scalp hair result?( the topical target directly the scalp right)

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe 0.25mg is too low for males.
Ive been on it for around 18months. Started with 1mg - 1.25mg daily to 2.5mg then 5mg. It helped a bit, but my face seemed like I was aging fast, so ive come off it. Im on maxogen-x soon to change to dulagen 15 plus no pg and just started ru 5% with 50mg sinifidil. Also dropping the oral finasteride
what do you mean by aging fast? more wrinkles / uffier face or an overall aged skin texture? thanks

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
what do you mean by aging fast? more wrinkles / uffier face or an overall aged skin texture? thanks
Puffiness , overall skin color. Puffy eyes. Fatigued face, Even family members commenting on puffy eyes etc. Maybe it was the water retention, my face just didn't look right in pictures.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Puffiness , overall skin color. Puffy eyes. Fatigued face, Even family members commenting on puffy eyes etc. Maybe it was the water retention, my face just didn't look right in pictures.
thanks for the answer so no additional wrinkles? btw did you recover ? i'm trying to get permanent eyelashes and eebrow growth at least before to stop as i'm noticing the same dreaded facial bloating

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for the answer so no additional wrinkles? btw did you recover ? i'm trying to get permanent eyelashes and eebrow growth at least before to stop as i'm noticing the same dreaded facial bloating
Yeah recovered, I did have a massive increase in body hair, i.e chest, back, back of hands. Seem to have got less than when I started oral. Maybe its the finasteride.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
really i dont get the oral minoxidil efficacy ( apart from body hair). targetin the scalp hair should be better

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another proposal why oral minoxidil works better or seems to be the consensus of late:

effect of nitric oxide on gut microbiome. Remember, 60% had some effects with even .25 mg.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another proposal why oral minoxidil works better or seems to be the consensus of late:

effect of nitric oxide on gut microbiome. Remember, 60% had some effects with even .25 mg.
0.25 mg is better than the traditional topical?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, if you are a good topical responder , is a none sense using it oral . Even more, if you are not responder, you should first try it to add tretinoin topical .

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0.25 mg is better than the traditional topical?

60% response rate with 0.25 mg and only 4% chance of serious side effects. I had the chart posted somewhere already.

I will find the study also on the chemo patient who supposedly was permanently bald and topical minoxidil didn't work while oral did.

Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, if you are a good topical responder , is a none sense using it oral . Even more, if you are not responder, you should first try it to add tretinoin topical .
so rubbing tretinoin cream to the scalp would help? i thought tretinoin caused hair thinning bro

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so rubbing tretinoin cream to the scalp would help? i thought tretinoin caused hair thinning bro

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I think oral minoxidil and topical minoxidil could have an additive effect as they would be working on different parts of the body.