Why Are There Almost No Bald Chess Players?

IvanXproject

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you name a bald chess player? It seems like the only chess players who go bald are those who take a break for several years, or those who become chess writers, chess judges, etc. Is this a coincidence? I also know of very few bald soccer players. This could of course be because they care a lot about their looks, so they get hair transplants, etc, but with chess I am not so sure that is the case. Any thoughts on this?

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are many bald soccer players.
Bayern-Munich-Carlo-Ancelotti-Arjen-Robben-1082924.jpg

Here is Arjen Robben who was norwood 5 since he was 22 beside his manager Carlo Ancelotti who is 59 and has full head of hair. Life is f*****g unfair.

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you name a bald chess player? It seems like the only chess players who go bald are those who take a break for several years, or those who become chess writers, chess judges, etc. Is this a coincidence? I also know of very few bald soccer players. This could of course be because they care a lot about their looks, so they get hair transplants, etc, but with chess I am not so sure that is the case. Any thoughts on this?
I also can t name a chess player with hair?

dark souls

My Regimen
Reaction score

Topalov,Ragger,Mamedyarov,Bassem. Most top chess player are under 30 so you dont see a lot of them bald.
Also there is the legendary combover from Tal
phpSwFAlK.jpg

Erensar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topalov,Ragger,Mamedyarov,Bassem. Most top chess player are under 30 so you dont see a lot of them bald.
Also there is the legendary combover from Tal
View attachment 105491

Tal is a legend. He was so ahead of his time. His sacrificies were considered unjust back then and now today's supercomputers confirm they were the correct moves. My favorite photo of Tal:

270px-Mikhail_Tal_1982.jpg

klerik

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
None of the people you mentioned are bald though (except from Tal)? They are like norwood 3’s at most. I am talking about norwood 5 +

Because most of them are still young enough. Unlike what people here think not a very high percentage of people go totally bald before 40. NW7 before 40 are not highly common. If you look at photos of fisher when he got old he is also almost slick bald and so is botvinik. There is no connection to chess and balding, or soccer for that matter.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro they use their brain so much the natural reason is nutrients get sent to the head a lot

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sometimes their brain overheat and thus keeps the follicles nice and toasty

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
As for soccer players, most people don't know but soccer is very similar to chess there are as many pieces on a chess board as players on the field and most players tend to move in a certain direction so there's basically just as much thinking involved there as well.
Playing soccer you are one piece but you must predict all the pieces when you play chess.
If I had to guess why soccer plays go bald, it could the high levels of cortisol (stress hormone) from such excessive exercise.

max310

Established Member
Reaction score
Bald guys are mostly tough. Chess is too calm for them. That's why a ton of body builders and wrestlers are bald.