White Substance Covering Hair Root?

JaxTeller

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been seeing a white substance on my hair roots lately. I just don't know what it could be. I can easily remove it with my fingers, it slides off. It's been like this for 2 months. I have a full head of hair and am currently suffering from mild dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis. Could it be related to that? Already tried Selsun shampoo for 4 weeks, but did not help with these balls. See photo below, it's not my photo but it's exactly like this.

28lcj9x.jpg

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its seb derm.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How can I get rid of it? Already tried Selsun Shampoo like I mentioned.
Use Nizoral 2% shampoo you can get it from any local pharmacy. It is prescription required but cashier should be able to write one for you.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I do think male pattern baldness can cause this too. When the hair miniaturizes the oil glands keep producing the normal amount of sebum so you end up with blobs of the white oil since there is no hair to lubricate anymore. I notice this in spots where male pattern baldness is occurring, and no shampoo for dandruff really removes or fixes it. It also itches mostly just at these certain spots, and not really anywhere else.
Its probably dandruff or seb derm a lot of times, but I think male pattern baldness could also partly cause it in balding spots. Seb derm and dandruff are much more common in men than women which also lends itself to male hormones causing male pattern baldness. I think seb derm/dandruff, the itch, and male pattern baldness have some unknown relation

JaxTeller

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man sebum plug. nizoral should help.

I hope so! fingers crossed. Did you have them?

I do think male pattern baldness can cause this too. When the hair miniaturizes the oil glands keep producing the normal amount of sebum so you end up with blobs of the white oil since there is no hair to lubricate anymore. I notice this in spots where male pattern baldness is occurring, and no shampoo for dandruff really removes or fixes it. It also itches mostly just at these certain spots, and not really anywhere else.
Its probably dandruff or seb derm a lot of times, but I think male pattern baldness could also partly cause it in balding spots. Seb derm and dandruff are much more common in men than women which also lends itself to male hormones causing male pattern baldness. I think seb derm/dandruff, the itch, and male pattern baldness have some unknown relation

I have them on non male pattern baldness areas as well. Basically it can pop up from anywhere on my scalp. I just hope these things don't suffocate the growth of hair/new hairs (haven't noticed an increase in shed or decrease in density of my hair since it started 2 months ago). I really hope the ketoconazol shampoo/nizoral shampoo is going to help.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope so! fingers crossed. Did you have them?

I have them on non male pattern baldness areas as well. Basically it can pop up from anywhere on my scalp. I just hope these things don't suffocate the growth of hair/new hairs (haven't noticed an increase in shed or decrease in density of my hair since it started 2 months ago). I really hope the ketoconazol shampoo/nizoral shampoo is going to help.
I get them in the areas where I have the worst miniturisation but that makes sense I guess. Have you seen a derm? Is your scalp itchy, red, flaky?

JaxTeller

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get them in the areas where I have the worst miniturisation but that makes sense I guess. Have you seen a derm? Is your scalp itchy, red, flaky?
It was flaky before, but I used selsun and it got rid of it. And yes it's itchy sometimes but not all the time. I spoke to my doctor on the phone and she prescribed a ketoconazole shampoo. I have yet to pick it up though. She said that if that doesn't work I have to come for an inspection.

Last edited:

JaxTeller

My Regimen
Reaction score
Please, mantain us informed of this experiment
Update: Ketoconazole shampoo did not work. Been using it for two weeks, and has not reduced even slightly. Those damn waxy balls are still there. Going to try salicylic acid shampoo soon, if that doesn't work I'll go to the Doctor, but most likely they won't have a solution either because it's quite rare and doesn't have an official name. Last option is to go back to a short hairstyle, That could maaaybe help. Happy that it hasn't affected my hair density. Hope it won't affect it all.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to go to your doctors asap. It could be a fungal infection which is more serious and normally will take a month to clear up.

JaxTeller

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to go to your doctors asap. It could be a fungal infection which is more serious and normally will take a month to clear up.
What could they prescribe me if ketoconazole shampoo did not work? My problem seems like it's sebum plugs and that it could be internal. So shampoos might just not work.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Terbinafine, Fluconazole, Griseofulvin are the common ones. Normally a 6 week course but it depends on what you are diagnosed with. I got in ringworm my late 20s its a b&stard to get rid of. Although it doesn't look like ringworm in could be athletes foot or something else.

JaxTeller

My Regimen
Reaction score
Terbinafine, Fluconazole, Griseofulvin are the common ones. Normally a 6 week course but it depends on what you are diagnosed with. I got in ringworm my late 20s its a b&stard to get rid of. Although it doesn't look like ringworm in could be athletes foot or something else.
I see,hope they can diagnose it since my scalp looks pretty healthy, you can see some grains here and there (mostly second/third day after a wash). Other than that you can notice the grains attached to a hair like the photo I posted. I think it's best to show my Doctor a photo and see where he goes from there. Thanks for the input.

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JaxTeller please do keep us updated on your situation because im having the same issue and since i live in shitty country my doctors dont know sh*t about it

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, but not even close as i should have to since this started almost three years ago.

Also i loose hair from all over my scalo and eyebrows as well