Which Shampoo Do You Use For Your Hair Loss?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Regenepure DR as my main Ketoconazole shampoo. Then right after, I use Toppik Hair Building Shampoo to add volume to my hair during my daily shower. I think it's a great combo.

kreuzer

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Taoist Soap Bar? The only place that sells it is a company in Great Britain and it isn't cheap. There's a lot of talk on the web praising it's merits of maintaining what hair one has left and new growth. The advertisement compares it to Alpecin (sp?) which has caffeine and it' supposed to be much better than it. Is it scam or is there rally merit to it?

SRDooley

Reaction score
I've tried so many different shampoos and conditioners but the best in my opinion is L'Oreal Elvive Fibrology. Leaves my hair feeling really clean and much thicker and is very reasonably priced here in the UK.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use nizoral three times week. And this the other days..

image.jpg

ben760

Established Member
Reaction score
do you guys wash your hair first before using nizoral?

ive read somewhere that it is necessary for nizoral to work.

resu

Reaction score
Stieprox 1,5%, I can't use supermarket shampoos because they increase the itch and make even more dandruff.

malegroomings

Reaction score
Agadir

Thickening shampoo with argan oil works very well. It can help thicken the hair temporarily if that is what you are going for. Couple that with a nizoral for a couple days a week and you have a great mix.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
On the days I use Nizoral 2% I'll use one of these beforehand to clean out the day's buildup and one of these alone on the non-Nizoral days:

-Tresemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Shampoo which is silicone-free and low in sulphates (although I could care less about SLS content to be fair, it's all fear mongering)
-By Vilain Skyline Breeze Shampoo (silicone-free as well)

Of course I'll always use a conditioner afterwards, making sure to leave it on for 2-3 minutes especially after using Nizoral because it's not exactly a moisturising shampoo ;)
Conditioners I use:

-Tresemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner (which is also silicone-free and low in sulphates)
-By Vilain Skyline Breeze Conditioner (also silicone-free)

himynameisj

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Regenepure but it looks like I recede more than when I was using ****ty shampoos. :(

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Captain Hook, and do you shampoo everyday?

Absolutely. I have had seborrhoeic dermatitis in the past and even now if I skip a day of shampooing for whatever reason my hair ends up looking greasy and limp.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with shampoos a bit recently. Have used Regenepure DR for several months as my keto shampoo. I find Nizoral 2% makes my hair very thin and dry, looks awful. I've started using thickening/moisturising shampoo after using any keto shampoo now and find it makes a world of difference to the appearance of my hair. Kiehl's Thickening Shampoo is my flavour of the month right now.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Captain Hook, i also have scalp seborrhoeic dermatitis. I was diagnosed in 2009 with that **it!

I've read somewhere that you also use Stieprox, am i correct? If so, between that and Nizoral, which one you think it's best at control it?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Captain Hook, i also have scalp seborrhoeic dermatitis. I was diagnosed in 2009 with that **it!

I've read somewhere that you also use Stieprox, am i correct? If so, between that and Nizoral, which one you think it's best at control it?

Absolutely, when I was first diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis back in November 2014 my dermatologist prescribed Stieprox which is a 1.5% ciclopirox olamine shampoo. After the treatment phase I never followed up with the maintenance treatment of one shampoo per week and hence relapsed in March 2015, I used 2% Nizoral for a treatment phase and then alternated between the Nizoral and Stieprox for the once weekly maintenance phase from then until August 2015, when I discontinued Stieprox indefinitely and now I use solely Nizoral twice weekly, for both antiandrogenic and growth stimulant benefits in addition to its original indication of seborrhoeic dermatitis prophylaxis.

When comparing the two shampoos, I'd say they are equipotent. I noticed no difference between the two in terms of itch relief, reduction of flaking and scaling and sebum control. They both cleared up my seborrhoeic dermatitis perfectly and would recommend both of them, just see which one you personally prefer as Stieprox does contain a conditioner whereas with Nizoral you need to use a moisturising conditioner afterwards and leave it on for 2-3 minutes otherwise it can dry your hair out.

You're probably wondering why I discontinued the use of Stieprox indefinitely yet still recommend it. Reason being is it is an amazing treatment for seborrhoeic dermatitis but in my opinion it shouldn't be used if you have Androgenetic Alopecia. This is because it inhibits PGE2 release as a result of its ability to inhibit cyclooxygenase (COX). This is great because it has added anti-inflammatory action through COX inhibition but as a side effect of inhibiting PGE2 it is thought that it would blunt hair growth as well, since PGE2 is beneficial for hair growth.

Says so right in the Loprox package insert, another brand of ciclopirox: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2003/20519slr005_loprox_lbl.pdf

While this finding may not be conclusive, I figure since we have two choices in terms of extremely effective seborrhoeic dermatitis treatments, why not choose the one that is beneficial to Androgenetic Alopecia as opposed to the one that *may* be detrimental? Food for thought.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Captain Hook!

I was thinking about buy some Stieprox but after reading that, i will just continue with my Nizoral 2% routine EOD.

Thanks for the info.