Which concealer should I try?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
O.K.. so I'm just about to place an order for a concealer, I've never tried them before so it's mainly to experiment at the moment. If it looks great and is foolproof I'll definately start using them for social situations, the frontal area of my hair has started looking worse as I've been letting it grow out. I am a diffuse thinner and my main problem my fringe, especially the temples.. I need something that will not run in a sweaty enviroment as I'm often drenched through to the skin after a nights work.. I love the idea of Toppik but dont like the fact that the fibres fall off, I'm also told that it doesn't work so well around the front of the hair. A powder like Couvre or Dermatch would possibly do the trick but I don't know which is the most reliable.. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You've just got to try them all, master how to use them, find the right colour and NEVER use too much. I'd suggest you tryToppic and Dermatch and see which looks best.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the advisability of wearing a concealer to a job interview. I find it difficult to concentrate at the best of times, and I don't want to face answering a lot of stupid questions when the only thing I can think is 'have they noticed, can they tell?'

Do you think it would seriously impair performance at an interview?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Depends on wether you are used to wearing it or not.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
You've just got to try them all, master how to use them, find the right colour and NEVER use too much. I'd suggest you tryToppic and Dermatch and see which looks best.

Thanks S.A.F, due to limited funds I'll probably only get a chance to try one for now so will probably go for Dermatch or Couvre, have you tried both? Which do you think was least messy or are they both very similar? Also.. Do you use Toppik on the front of your hair? Sorry for all the questions.. :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
I use dermatch but have to mix 2 colours to get the right shade. It thickens the hair by coating them. (a bit like mascara for hair!) This is why I even use a mascara brush to apply it! Comb your hair through after you have applied it and check that no particles have dropped onto your forhead and that it is all dry before you go out. You should'nt need hardly any and a small tub of it lasts many months. Remember you only want a vey slight improvement. I've never used courve but I've heard its good.

NedFlanders

Established Member
Reaction score
Search for info and especially pics on both. All the searching I have done I have seen some great improvement pictures with Dermatch. I am going to probably order and try it myself as soon as I get some funds.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I use dermatch but have to mix 2 colours to get the right shade. It thickens the hair by coating them. (a bit like mascara for hair!)

O.K, Dermatch it is, I will probably die my hair black to make sure that I get a good match, does this mascara effect mean that it comes off easily? does it go on the scalp aswell as the hair? Thanks for the info.

s.a.f

Reaction score
UK78 said:
O.K, Dermatch it is, I will probably die my hair black to make sure that I get a good match, does this mascara effect mean that it comes off easily? does it go on the scalp aswell as the hair? Thanks for the info.

I just coat the hairs this gives your hair more 'body' and a thicker look. Once dried it stays on pretty well in normal conditions. You have to shampoo to remove it. It wont come off when you put your hand through your hair, but if you sleep on a white pillow it will stain it. I believe that spraying on hairspray prevents it from rubbing off a little.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's good news, thanks mate, I will keep you updated regarding my success with it. :)

G

what i dont like about dermmatch is that it colors the scalp if you dont do it right. then you have some color on your scalp. thats pretty bad in my opinion especially on the front.

saf, does it work with this mascara that you dont get it on the scalp when you are used to it?

thx for the info.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I ended up going for Couvre as I couldn't find Dermatch on ebay.. since ordering I have read several bad reviews on it which is frustrating and typical.. anyway.. at least it's a starting point for me to begin experimentation.

s.a.f

Reaction score
helpme007 said:
what i dont like about dermmatch is that it colors the scalp if you dont do it right. then you have some color on your scalp. thats pretty bad in my opinion especially on the front.

saf, does it work with this mascara that you dont get it on the scalp when you are used to it?

thx for the info.
I just use the mascara brush instead of the applicators provided. And I coat the hairs in the same way as mascara would coat eyelashes. I dont get it on my scalp. Just coat the hairs and you will have a thicker looking head of hair that should help to conceal the scalp without eliminating it completly, after all who has 100% density everyones scalp is visible to some degree when you get close up. Putting it actually onto the scalp looks unnatural and obvious and could irritate the scalp.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I finally got my 'Couvre' just after christmas, it is just a black paint.. :? nothing more, nothing less.. It says that you shouldn't get it onto the hair or it will rub off, only the scalp, this is impossible as I have no patches, just diffuse thinning.. I can see how it could be of slight benefit if you had a certain kind of balding pattern but at this stage it seems that it's just not suitable for me at all.. I'm pretty dissapointed but should've known better really. The before and after picture in the leaflet is clearly not real, in fact.. it's ridiculous..

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
I finally got my 'Couvre' just after christmas, it is just a black paint.. :? nothing more, nothing less.. It says that you shouldn't get it onto the hair or it will rub off, only the scalp, this is impossible as I have no patches, just diffuse thinning.. I can see how it could be of slight benefit if you had a certain kind of balding pattern but at this stage it seems that it's just not suitable for me at all.. I'm pretty dissapointed but should've known better really. The before and after picture in the leaflet is clearly not real, in fact.. it's ridiculous..

Not True!! Been using on entire scalp for 15 years and I have lost 80% of my hair due to diffuse thinning. You would not believe what I do everyday. You need to go to dark brown, not black, is what I use. Use a light amount in front and heavier on back but you need a decent amount of hair (grow it longer in back to cover). This stuff is s Godsend lifesaver!!!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Uk78 try http://www.hairthickener.co.uk 08452-26-26-23 for dermatch. Dark brown is virtually black.
Thinning sucks can you post some before/after pics?

almo181

Reaction score
i use courve daily, and to me its was a godsend, im only 17 and i gotta goto highschool everyday. I also goto wrestling practice after school and it holds and looks awesome, i also have no absoulete bald spots just bad thinning. after using there before and after is amazin. I however dong have long hair my hair is only bout 2 - 3 inches long... but one thing to try make shure your hair is kinda wet when u put it in and use osme hairspray after... I love the stuff

s.a.f

Reaction score
How about some before/after pics?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thinning Sucks said:
UK78 said:

Not True!! Been using on entire scalp for 15 years and I have lost 80% of my hair due to diffuse thinning. You would not believe what I do everyday. You need to go to dark brown, not black, is what I use. Use a light amount in front and heavier on back but you need a decent amount of hair (grow it longer in back to cover). This stuff is s Godsend lifesaver!!!

Which bit isn't true? It IS just a black paint that you paint on your scalp..? It IS almost impossible not to get it on your hair also..? It DOES rub off the hair..? I'm glad you're having success with it but it's pretty primal as far as modern concealers go dont you think? Maybe not..
Thanks for the link s.a.f, I will no doubt try Dermatch next although I'll probably experiment with the Couvre I bought 1 more time just in case I'm missing something. I dye my hair black so the black is best for me I think.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
UK78, read my post in the topic called "Best concleaer. Period!". I posted a reply with a total review on the second page about covre along with good tricks to using it. The best way is to use a rubber glove. Using concealers is all about trial and error, sometimes the smallest simplest trick could take a mediocre or awful hair concealing product into the best thing ever that you could never live without. Don't expect to get it right the first time no matter what product you try.

If you are difuse thinning mostly on the front I strongly suggest toppik with the spray, read my post I'm sure you should find it helpful, maybe I will put it on a seperate thread. Don't give up hope.