Whether,oral administration is safe.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a lot of evidence on the net that tretinoid causes hair loss.Thats what makes it so confusing
Actually, not, not a single study . Only Isotretinoin at high dose and cause it can deplete biotin ( and also in small % ) . Actually, isotretinoin at normal dose ( 10 to 40 mg daily ) inhibit DHT by 5-alpha-reductase inhibition . most probable, tretinoin also inhibit it ( but have no study to prove it, just a theory ) .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think of min15%?
More minoxidil if you don't have more enzyme to convert it , will not do anything. If the problem is on your enzyme levels, put more minoxidil into your scalp will not do anything. So, if the 5 % without tretinoin don't work for you, the 15 % will not work either .

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, not, not a single study . Only Isotretinoin at high dose and cause it can deplete biotin ( and also in small % ) . Actually, isotretinoin at normal dose ( 10 to 40 mg daily ) inhibit DHT by 5-alpha-reductase inhibition . most probable, tretinoin also inhibit it ( but have no study to prove it, just a theory ) .
damn that's ineresting i'm suposed to go on the standard dose of accutane for my rynophyma i'm doing 40mg per day for 8 onths so if i suplement with biotine you think i can manage the damage on hair? thanks

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a lot of evidence on the net that tretinoid causes hair loss.Thats what makes it so confusing
Just like how using Ketoconazole 2% can also cause hair loss. I had tons of shedding and diffuse hair loss once I started using Ketoconazole Shampoo.

In conclusion, not everything works for everyone and also, some things can actually be counter-productive for some people.

Therefore if ever you are trying something, try it at the lowest dose that can grant some efficacy and half as frequently as is usually recommended. Then progressively increase the frequency, then the dose if you show no negative side effects.

Most people are impatient and we tend to go for the recommended dose, or the frequency everyone tells us we should go for, which is often far too frequent to start off with for many people.

Last edited:

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More minoxidil if you don't have more enzyme to convert it , will not do anything. If the problem is on your enzyme levels, put more minoxidil into your scalp will not do anything. So, if the 5 % without tretinoin don't work for you, the 15 % will not work either .
thanks

lotnagiv

My Regimen
Reaction score

How serious is your hairloss or what was your baseline? How was your experience with minoxidil over the years? I see that you are big advocate for min + tret.

I'm just curious because few years ago when i first started I had amazing regrow on topical minoxidil so it seems that enzyme level was fine and I was good responder, but it lasted only few months and then without modifying anything over next few months, slow but overall huge regress occurred that did not recover over next few years.

Next at some point due to random circumstances I was forced to stop treatment for few weeks, which caused huge shed that destroy my whole density, devastating, however lucky enough when I returned to topical minoxidil and restarted treatment I once again experience excellent regrow, just like the first time, without any further shedding, density improve amazingly. However once again, it lasted only for few months, and then the same scenario with slowly loosing everything without recovering for next several months, up to today, occurred.

I saw the diagram from the study that topical minoxidil may loose effectiveness after few years, but in my case it was always just few months, peak effect around month 3 and then maybe two months of stable situation and then bum slow continuous regress with huge shedding that did not recover.
And I'm wondering how is that possible if theoretically minoxidil initially works that well?

btw in both cases I was always blocking dht, it was not only minoxidil.

And I do not know if oral minoxidil could help in my case if topical minoxidil works so weirdly.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How serious is your hairloss or what was your baseline? How was your experience with minoxidil over the years? I see that you are big advocate for min + tret.

I'm just curious because few years ago when i first started I had amazing regrow on topical minoxidil so it seems that enzyme level was fine and I was good responder, but it lasted only few months and then without modifying anything over next few months, slow but overall huge regress occurred that did not recover over next few years.

Next at some point due to random circumstances I was forced to stop treatment for few weeks, which caused huge shed that destroy my whole density, devastating, however lucky enough when I returned to topical minoxidil and restarted treatment I once again experience excellent regrow, just like the first time, without any further shedding, density improve amazingly. However once again, it lasted only for few months, and then the same scenario with slowly loosing everything without recovering for next several months, up to today, occurred.

I saw the diagram from the study that topical minoxidil may loose effectiveness after few years, but in my case it was always just few months, peak effect around month 3 and then maybe two months of stable situation and then bum slow continuous regress with huge shedding that did not recover.
And I'm wondering how is that possible if theoretically minoxidil initially works that well?

And I do not know if oral minoxidil could help in my case if topical minoxidil works so weirdly.
How old are you?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

I started to receding around 15, didn't pay much atention but at 17th , a couple of month before m 18th ,was imposible to hide. I should be a NW7 by the age of 25 or sooner, that bad was. However, I always was an really good responder to the hair loss treatment. And by good responding I mean, I do did stop the receding hairline and massive thick where I do have hair. The lost hair line, the death zone of the temple, between a NW2-3 to a Norwood 1-0 , I never was available to growing back .
For me, it have never lost effectivenes and I just wished to started sooner. In fact, was cause that same stupid thing that " it lost effectiveness with time " that I did stoped the first time ( back in 1997 , cause a Stupid dermatology ) and I went from a big Norwood 1 to a Nw2 -3 within a year . Then I re-started, never stopped, every single night, and keep the same hair line from the last 24 years and counting.
During all this years, Minoxidil plus tretinoin is the only treatment I have never stopped or changed. And I was a lot of time with just that.
There are a couple of interesting things to add, like ketoconazole shampoo 2 % , cetirizine lotion 1 % , latanoprost, etc .

I do think that tretinoin also inhibit DHT, since isotretinoin do it . In fact, I had a very similar result, when I was using oral isotretinoin for acne and Minoxidil ( alone ) for hair loss, back in 1996 than the what I got/get with minoxidil plus tretinoin . I do think that, like tretinoin, isotretinoin active the sulphatase enzyme that convert minoxidil into active minoxidil.

Before try it oral minoxidil, I shouled recommend you tretinoin plus minoxidil. Search online, it have being use it for top doctors since early 90s , there is tons of reviews. In fact , the vestion version of the popular Xandrox , back in the 90s ( the real one, the one made by Dr Lee ) was just minoxidil plus tretinoin .

I don't think that oral minoxidil will works better than tretinoin plus minoxidil. I have tried it both things . Again, oral minoxidil was really popular back in early 2000s . You can search for old post on the hairsite.com forum .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what I am talking :
hairsite.com/baldness-encyclopedia/loniten-oral-minoxidil-and-hair-growth/
This article was original published on December 2001 . "Loniten comes in 2.5mg, 5mg and 10 mg. Some of our forum members commented that for Loniten to be effective, people have to ask their doctors to put them on 10 mg daily dose"
So, we were trying 10, even 20mg daily without seeing such expectacular regrowth . And that ( myself include it ) who where good responder, even without tretinoin , didn't even so better results than with oral .
Now, if for one second you will think that with 1mg daily, or 2.5mg daily will have better hair growth results, that what was already tried 20 years ago with 10mg, I am telling you , you are so wrong . May be less side effects , could be , but not better regrowth . And we was taking it with oral spironolactone ! that it is a diuretic ( besides an antiandrogen , a potent one ) and we was not getting full regrowth but, of course, less side effects cause there was no edema ( minoxidil is a water retention sh*t ) .

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 54 in two weeks so I was told that minoxidil takes away collagen and we naturally start losing it after 30-35. Amazon sells product called Organic enhanced collagen & protein. Try it, I noticed less baggy eyes after just one week
I've been taking the Organic Collagen every day for about a month and I think it does work. Face is a lot less puffy than when I started the Minoxidil.

Are you continuing to get more hair growth on your hands and legs? I am. I will keep up the Minoxidil for as long as it takes to get as much hair as I want.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking the Organic Collagen every day for about a month and I think it does work. Face is a lot less puffy than when I started the Minoxidil.

Are you continuing to get more hair growth on your hands and legs? I am. I will keep up the Minoxidil for as long as it takes to get as much hair as I want.
when do you take it ? thanks and how much

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take it 1-2 times a day, two scoops each time which yields 10g of collagen.