whats your guys opinion about the lasercomb?

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
d_umberly said:
...It appears they are affected more than I thought by the distance to the target. Seems the inverse square laws does apply to a laser but to a lesser degree than other forms of radiation....

Off the top of my head (no pun intended)

You could bring the multiple lazers close to the scalp and lens from there, or you could vibtate or spin the lazers (vibration being the more viable option) to spread the beam ?

Yes, vibrations which caused minor oscillation of the beams may just work if that did not make the device too complex. I subscribe to the KISS principle in all designs.

The reading I did would suggest that you need direct contact with the skin/scalp. So how about multiple prongs of larger diameter each with a laser emitting source, perhaps conducted by fiber as you suggested.

Which might look like a sharpened pencil that has been blunted.

I fear that the Low Level Laser just doesn't have the penetration I once thought it did. However I am still not certain what I have is insufficent.

More reading is in order.

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
Does the lazercombâ„¢ employ direct contact?

No it does not. It stands off about the same distance my design does. I should ask one of the guys here who owns one to measure it for us.

As has been mentioned previously they state that theirs is better than the hood type because they move back the hair with the comb's teeth exposing the scalp.

If exposing the scalp to the laser is important, then perhaps direct contact is the better method. Why they did not design for direct contact is known only to them, maybe it is indeed not necessary or just too expensive.

I doubt asking them would yield an answer. The question remains, is bio-stimulation occuring in this type of design. They assert that it is. I am not convinced, yet.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bio-stimulation...I'd like to see more on this thread about what you mentioned here d_umberly. Thanks.

Greg

G

d_umberly said:
.....Why they did not design for direct contact is known only to them....

presumably direct contact would introduce problems in spreading the beam.

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
d_umberly said:
.....Why they did not design for direct contact is known only to them....

True but according to my reading LLLT therapy for wounds is best applied by direct contact thereby getting better penetration into the dermis.

So that would mean that Lexington's engineer and doctor deemed it not necessary to obtain that much penetration to induce bio-stimulation for hair growth. Add to that a comment on the Lexington forum that using the device too often can have a retarding effect on hair growth.

More on this later.

viperfish

Reaction score
d_umberly said:
tynanW said:
[quote="d_umberly":e2510].....Why they did not design for direct contact is known only to them....

True but according to my reading LLLT therapy for wounds is best applied by direct contact thereby getting better penetration into the dermis.

So that would mean that Lexington's engineer and doctor deemed it not necessary to obtain that much penetration to induce bio-stimulation for hair growth. Add to that a comment on the Lexington forum that using the device too often can have a retarding effect on hair growth.

More on this later.[/quote:e2510]

Retarding effect on hair growth?? Hmm......never heard that before and in fact they told me I should use it 3x per week, but I could use it as much as I like (not over using it makes sense). However, I'm sticking with 3x per week and then going down to 2x per week.

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
viperfish said:
d_umberly said:
tynanW said:
[quote="d_umberly":c6cb3].....Why they did not design for direct contact is known only to them....

More on this later.

Retarding effect on hair growth?? Hmm......never heard that before and in fact they told me I should use it 3x per week, but I could use it as much as I like (not over using it makes sense). However, I'm sticking with 3x per week and then going down to 2x per week.[/quote:c6cb3]

Read just yesterday on their forum in a reply by Sonia, 'retarding' was the term I used here are her exact words.

Dear Jac,

Hello and thank you for your post. In our studies optimum results achieved using the HairMax LaserComb 3 times a week maximum. Using the HairMax LaserComb more frequently, for longer periods of time will not speed up results, in fact may delay them. The key to using the HairMax LaserComb is to use it as instructed.

Lexington Int'l

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is an update on the consturction of the LaserBrush and it use.

1. It has come to light that the LaserComb(tm) is stood off of the head at a distance of 9/16" (14-15mm) by the comb's teeth. I found my brush due to the height of the bristles had a gap of 11/16" so I have adjusted mine to 9/16" (14-15mm). I am not too sure how important this is, but to be on the safe side I made the adjustment in height.

2. There is a post in Lexington forum that asks about frequency of use, the answer was 3 x a week and that more often than that may over stimulate. Use the link below if you want to read the entire thread.

http://www.hairmaxforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Very good stuff going on here! Fascinating d_umberly! Viperfish, I'm pretty sure that what Lexington meant by overuse is using it three or more times a week after a year or two of treatment. I use mine now about two times a week as I've been using it for over two years.

Greg

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
Greg1 said:
Very good stuff going on here! Fascinating d_umberly! Viperfish, I'm pretty sure that what Lexington meant by overuse is using it three or more times a week after a year or two of treatment. I use mine now about two times a week as I've been using it for over two years.

Greg

Well if it has held up for two years then you have made twice the one year warranty and it will probably make it a lot longer. Electronics suffer from what is called 'infant mortality' meaning if they make it past the intial burn in time they should give the design life. Strange term, kind of caught my attention when I first heard it used years ago.

Still reading up on laser diodes in LLLT, I think the fog is lifting, time will tell.

G

d_umberly, are you worried that Lexington may put a 'hit' out on you, you know try and have you 'whacked' if you get too close?

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
d_umberly, are you worried that Lexington may put a 'hit' out on you, you know try and have you 'whacked' if you get too close?

You know I am to some extent in the legal sense. Surely that is what you mean :freaked:

On the other hand, I am not infringing on their patent for two reasons, first I have no intention to sell a competitive product, second mine while it uses a laser diode is not like theirs except that is portable. Kind of like Ford coming after me for making a new Auto. They could do it for harrasment but then that might bring some really bad press for them. You never know which way folks will jump in any given situation.

Later.

G

I was more thinking a shadowy figure at your window, the sound of a single bullet fired through a silencer, and Columbo turning up the following morning.

:shock:

Ty

oh, and one more thing...

viperfish

Reaction score
tynanW said:
I was more thinking a shadowy figure at your window, the sound of a single bullet fired through a silencer, and Columbo turning up the following morning.

:shock:

Ty

oh, and one more thing...

Yeah, if they have the money to seek FDA approval imagine who they could hire................................................ :shock: :snipersmilie:

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
Ty and Viperfish,

This doesn't scare me at all, excuse me ( honey just poor the naptha all over the plastic part of the brush, stand back and throw a lit match at it) sorry my wife had a question.

Hah, I not worried :shock:

wide_awake

Reaction score
Hi d_umberly,

I was wondering how your make-shift lasercomb was working out for you ... would you recommend others following in your footsteps?

Thanks!

d_umberly

Established Member
Reaction score
wide_awake said:
Hi d_umberly,

I was wondering how your make-shift lasercomb was working out for you ... would you recommend others following in your footsteps?

Thanks!

It is sitting in the corner gathering dust. I find I don't have the time to devote to it. After 4 months of use I saw no tangible results. As the saying goes "Your mileage may vary"..

It could work for you, I have read many posts where it was stated that finasteride didn't do anything for a person, but I have had good results with it and without sides. I guess we are all experimenting in the end.

Good luck.