What Minoxidil Did To My Face (age 24)

LegalTechnology

My Regimen
Reaction score
Before is 3 years ago (age 20), before I used minoxidil at all, after is 3 months ago (age 23).

I've used minoxidil on and off through the years, and during that time it has taken away all my baby fat and made my skin look old and wrinkled. These effects came on slowly at first, I didn't notice them, but as I went back on minoxidil after a years break, it wreaked complete havoc, I went from having nice full cheeks aged 20 to looking like a drug addict aged 23, even though I weigh more in the after photo.

I was also using a quarter of the recommended dose, 0.5ml per day, and used a shower cap so it wouldn't get on my pillow at night, still ruined my face.

I'm at a loss; I don't recognise myself in the mirror. Surely the manufacturer should be held accountable?

I am 100% sure that it was the minoxidil that caused it as I have more photos of the progression during the last stint I used minoxidil, I didn't know it was the minoxidil causing it beforehand as it is not listed as a side effect and I dropped finasteride as people claim it causes facial fat loss, but nope it was the minoxidil as I've found out the hard way.

Should I go to the doctor/dermatologist/plastic surgeon? Who can help me repair the damage? and should I seek legal advice? I honestly don't know what to do and it's absolutely depressing.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,944
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,063

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No offence dude, but it looks like you just practice bad hygiene. Besides that, those aren't good comparison pics.

Important edit:

You don't look prematurely aged in my opinion. My first comment wasn't meant to antagonize you.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take oral minoxidil and have noticed some fine lines under my eye area that weren't there a few months ago, dunno if it's just natural aging or the minoxidil. I will be using a dermapen to get rid of them though, worked great on my forehead lines a few years back. Im still not 100% convinced minoxidil ages your face, if it does inhibit collagen and produces aging face then things like vitamin c serum, retinoids, collagen supplements and derma rolling should be able to counteract any negative effects.

Last edited:

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can't reproduce pics in similar lighting with the same quality, you have no case

el_duterino

Reaction score
minoxidil, oral or topical at higher dosage will definitely make your skin more dry and lose elasticity as it reduces collagen production by a large factor

But the effect is reversible, if you stop for a week it should improve a lot as collagen production goes back to normal

The other solution is to use a good collagen face cream, I am using one now and it pretty much fixed the minoxidil "old face" issue.

LegalTechnology

My Regimen
Reaction score
No offence dude, but it looks like you just practice bad hygiene. Besides that, those aren't good comparison pics.

Important edit:

You don't look prematurely aged in my opinion. My first comment wasn't meant to antagonize you.
Hahaha I laughed at that first comment. My skin is acne prone especially when I’m doing heavy physical exercise.

The main focus point of those two pics (which I know aren’t great) is the cheekbones. If you look at the left side of the first pic and compare it to the second pic. There is a lot more volume in the cheeks. I’m not exactly a model but I liked the fresh face I had, now it looks haggard and aged. People have also made comments about me “looking about 45” and “had a hard newspaper round” whereas 3 years ago before minoxidil I looked younger than my age

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I love how you covered your hairline in the before pic;)

Jokes aside, how do you rule out finasteride? The damage to fat deposition could be permanent or at least long lasting. Did you just take a break from finasteride, or quit for good?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I laughed at that first comment. My skin is acne prone especially when I’m doing heavy physical exercise.

The main focus point of those two pics (which I know aren’t great) is the cheekbones. If you look at the left side of the first pic and compare it to the second pic. There is a lot more volume in the cheeks. I’m not exactly a model but I liked the fresh face I had, now it looks haggard and aged. People have also made comments about me “looking about 45” and “had a hard newspaper round” whereas 3 years ago before minoxidil I looked younger than my age

Hey brother... when i was doing topical minoxidil i noticed more volume in the cheecks. In my case it was due an allergic reaction which cause parotid gland swelling.

LegalTechnology

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil, oral or topical at higher dosage will definitely make your skin more dry and lose elasticity as it reduces collagen production by a large factor

But the effect is reversible, if you stop for a week it should improve a lot as collagen production goes back to normal

The other solution is to use a good collagen face cream, I am using one now and it pretty much fixed the minoxidil "old face" issue.
I've been off minoxidil for over 3 months, it has improved but still nowhere near looking fresh again. What collagen cream is it that you're using?

I love how you covered your hairline in the before pic;)

Jokes aside, how do you rule out finasteride? The damage to fat deposition could be permanent or at least long lasting. Did you just take a break from finasteride, or quit for good?
That's true, I've got fat loss around my eyes which could have been the finasteride. But I quit it for good about 18 months ago as my penis didn't work a few times I was in bed with girls, and I got a bit of gyno which I didn't want to risk getting worse.

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

What cream do you use?

minoxidil fucks up some peoples faces, I used it when I was somewhere between 19-21 and it gave me dark eye patches and wrinkles around the eye area. I'm trying it again with microneedling face treatment and retinol.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
collagen cream is a joke btw

No cream can increase collagen production lol

You need to consume a lot of vitamin C, one of the only things proven in studies to boost collagen

also..... minoxidil has no effect on collagen in vivo across multiple studies.

el_duterino

Reaction score
This is the cream I use
I was sceptic at first but it does its job my skin looks much better and less dry

Search on Amazon

Dr Ci Labo Aqua Collagen

There is a white pot and a yellow pot both work fine - 3 sizes priced accordingly but if you do around the eyes only even the small 50g pot should last a while

I really didnt want to stop oral minoxidil because it's cheap, convenient and very effective on my hair.
For the face puffiness & water retention issue, sleeping at an angle or with the head elevated has totally solved this, and using minoxidil first thing in the morning as well

Last edited:

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the cream I use
I was sceptic at first but it does its job my skin looks much better and less dry

Search on Amazon

Dr Ci Labo Aqua Collagen

There is a white pot and a yellow pot both work fine - 3 sizes priced accordingly but if you do around the eyes only even the small 50g pot should last a while

Dude, you're literally just moisturizing your face. That's the difference

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the cream I use

Search on Amazon

Dr Ci Labo Aqua Collagen

I really didnt want to stop oral minoxidil because it's cheap, convenient and very effective on my hair.
For the face puffiness & water retention issue, sleeping at an angle or with the head elevated has totally solved this, and using minoxidil first thing in the morning as well

How much oral minoxidil were you taking? I know that people hold your views in high regard around here.

Thanks.

el_duterino

Reaction score
I am taking 5 mg oral minoxidil a day
Started a Month ago

Before that I had a Fue so had to stop foam for 2 weeks

Used foam or liquid for 8 years