What kind of guns do you wish you owned?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
guns dont kill people people kill people

Guns don't kill people, BULLETS kill people!

HughJass

Reaction score
and judging by the ammo shortage you guys are having you might be in for a bit of forced bullet control

I take it the shortage is due to the wars?

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
ClayShaw said:
Dblbass128 said:
well one way to start

stop the drug war

Wow.
You and I agree 110% on that.
Drugs legal=No market for illegal drugs=no killings over drug territory. Makes sense to me.
One last question. How do you feel about warrantless wiretapping?

Dood

Thats like the worst thing ever! Huge violation!

Sometimes I cant believe we let them do that...

Check out project Echalon looks like its been going on for a while

If you feel that way about this Im sure youll think differently about gun control

All right, so we disagree on guns (to some extent) but we agree that the warrantless wiretapping was among the worst things to ever happen in America. I would go so far as to say that its at least as bad as Watergate, and probably worse.
What pisses me off is that cheating on your wife with a consenting adult is an impeachable offense (apparently), but clear violations of the constitution and FISA law are not. WTF?

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
and judging by the ammo shortage you guys are having you might be in for a bit of forced bullet control

I take it the shortage is due to the wars?

The shortage is due to the fact that people are afraid Obama will ban guns.
I don't know a whole lot about weapons, but I imagine the ammunition the military uses is a little different than what civilians get. Although OldBaldy or Dblbass would know better than I would.

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
The M-16 (5.56) and AR-15 (.223) ammunitions aren't compatible. I forget exactly how it goes but I think it's that you can fire .223 rounds through a 5.56 barrel but you can't fire 5.56 through a .223 barrel.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that an AR15 is just a really bad *** looking .22?

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't believe you... no need to look it up.

The military does not use the .223... they use the 5.56x45mm NATO round. There's a difference and you can't say that they are the same because they are not.

And there is no such thing as the .223 NATO.

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
IM pretty positive they are the same exact rounds

meaning my .223 will fire from an M16 full auto Bushmaster

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
actually im worng didnt know what i was talking baout

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
chore boy said:
The M-16 (5.56) and AR-15 (.223) ammunitions aren't compatible. I forget exactly how it goes but I think it's that you can fire .223 rounds through a 5.56 barrel but you can't fire 5.56 through a .223 barrel.

only with a different barrel

It is like the same thing depends on tournament

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Chore boy is essentially correct but asking the manufacturer is the way to go.

Barrels made for the standard "sporting" .223 cartridge have shorter leades in the chamber (and I think these barrels have a tighter chamber to begn with).

The 5.56 Nato round has a longer leade which, when fired in a "standard" .223 cartridge barrel can raise pressures to sometimes dangerous levels.

Plus, IIRC, the 5.56 Nato round is listed as having a little more powerful powder charge in the first place (i.e., regardless of the difference in leades). Nato specifications allow for a little more powerful powder charge IIRC.

Therefore, a barrel made for the 5.56 Nato round can also fire the regular "sporting" .223 round but it is not recommended that a barrel made for the "sporting" .223 round fire the 5.56 Nato round.

They are the same circumference and the brass casing is the same length IIRC but the leade on the 5.56 Nato cartridge is longer and mates properly with the 5.56 Nato barrels.

You just have to check with the manufacturer in order to determine if a rifle built for the "sporting" .223 round can handle the 5.56 Nato round.

When that info. is not available it is not recommended that you shoot a 5.56 Nato round in a .223 "sporter" barrel (i.e., pressures from firing the 5.56 Nato round in the "sporting" .223 barrel can get too high for safe shooting).

The VAST majority of your civilian AR-15 rifles/uppers are built to chamber the 5.56 Nato round. Same for separate barrels made for the civilian AR-15 rifle.

So, as chore boy stated, the VAST majority of AR-15 civilian rifles can also shoot the "sporting" .223 round.

Edited to add - Read this: (Note "SAAMI" used in the link below refers to the "sporting" .223 round.)

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

Old Baldy

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that an AR15 is just a really bad *** looking .22?

Somewhat but the .223 bullet is wider a little bit and quite a bit longer. And, the brass casing is MUCH larger.

But they do make uppers that handle the regular .22lr. They are alot of fun to shoot and ammo is much cheaper.

In fact, they make .22lr bolt conversion kits to shoot .22lr cartridges in a standard 5.56 (.223 sized) barrel. So, you have a point ClayShaw.

The bolt conversion kit addresses the smaller overall cartridge size of the .22lr in the chamber area as well. (The chamber area is where the cartridge "sits" prior to firing.)

Specially made magazines for the .22lr are readily available and not expensive btw. (That way you can use the standard AR-15 lower receiver in a .22lr AR-15.)

The AR-15 platform is a wonderful rifle for changing calibers, etc. There are MANY, MANY different cartridges that can be easily adapted (i.e., without serious or no modifications) to be used in the standard AR-15 lower receiver.

Essentially, you can buy one AR-15 lower receiver, install the standard or upgraded lower receiver parts easily yourself, and use that same receiver in a multitude of different AR-15 uppers (i.e., uppers sized for different types of cartridges).

You just slide out the two pins holding the upper to the lower receiver and install the new upper and push the two pins back into the lower receiver to mate the two parts together. Easy and ingenious.

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to get to play with some new toys here shortly. Earlier today, I guess boss man picked up a S&W 500 and a SW99 .40 cal. Anyone here ever shot either one of those guns?

I was looking at the SW99 and it's esentially the same design as the Walther P99. too bad they had to add that hideous trigger guard. It appears they've also modified the mag release... the old P99 mag release was about the most worthless thing ever. Only recently did I notice the button on the slide to de-c*** the weapon... not sure I've seen something like that before. Apparently the pistol was like $700... I bet if I tried hard enough, I could land an HK USP somewhere in that price range.

Here's the original Wather P99 design... definitely a sexier trigger guard:

And here's the SW99:

File:Sw99_small.jpg

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
chore boy said:
Looks like I'm going to get to play with some new toys here shortly. Earlier today, I guess boss man picked up a S&W 500 and a SW99 .40 cal. Anyone here ever shot either one of those guns?

I was looking at the SW99 and it's esentially the same design as the Walther P99. too bad they had to add that hideous trigger guard. It appears they've also modified the mag release... the old P99 mag release was about the most worthless thing ever. Only recently did I notice the button on the slide to de-c*** the weapon... not sure I've seen something like that before. Apparently the pistol was like $700... I bet if I tried hard enough, I could land an HK USP somewhere in that price range.

And here's the SW99:

what do you need guns for they are dangerous get rid of them

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
chore boy said:

And here's the SW99:

kidding

GeminiX

Reaction score
Without going into the politics of gun ownership, isn't the idea that it's somehow "cool" to own a gun similar to the concept that it's cool to smoke 40 camels a day?

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Without going into the politics of gun ownership, isn't the idea that it's somehow "cool" to own a gun similar to the concept that it's cool to smoke 40 camels a day?

no

fail

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thanks for the condescending and elitist comparison/opinion Gemini.

Have a nice life in sheepdom!

Do you drink wine with your quiche, or is that also illegal in the UK? :)

BTW, I like straight whiskey with my cigars.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
chore boy said:

And here's the SW99:

Yes chore boy, an HK could be had for about that price and they are GREAT guns IMHO.

Also, you could buy this handgun for a little more:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q51 ... STOLS.aspx

Or this one:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7- ... TOLS.aspx#

Ain't nothing wrong with a Colt! :punk:

GeminiX

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Thanks for the condescending and elitist comparison/opinion Gemini.

Have a nice life in sheepdom!

Do you drink wine with your quiche, or is that also illegal in the UK? :)

BTW, I like straight whiskey with my cigars.

I think some of you guys mis-understand me, or maybe you're being a little sensitive ;)

I'm a pretty good shot myself, though prefer archery. My point is not that there is anything wrong in having an interest in firearms and particpating in gunnery clubs etc. (heck, the episode of Mythbusters where the guys get up to mischief with a M134 and a tree is one of my fave episodes). My point is how some people consider them to be "cool", and not as deadly weapons which should be treated with respect.

*edit*
A little anecdote; while I was in school there was boy in the class who was a bit, well, nuts. One day he had to write something on the blackboard (I forget why). He wrote his sentence in a wavy line, a bit like a snake, and not with a more traditional straight line.

When he was asked why he wrote that way, his reply was "Because it's like my favourite missile, the Sidewinder".

*another edit*
Guns were quite "cool" in Matrix I suppose.

*edit and possibly a backtrack*
"AK-47... The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherf****r in the room, accept no substitutes" is actually quite a cool quote, and it's about a gun.