Wear system all the time or live a "double life"... what's your opinion?

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Hey all. I got my first system fitted around 3 weeks ago. I am still getting used to it. Anyway, there have been restrictions in my country due to Covid 19 but I will be going back to the office workplace soon (used to be work from home for the whole time). I wouldn't be working in the office every single day of the week I don't think. Anyway, I have not been there for months and this would be the ideal opportunity to wear my system and people to not even remember what my hair was like before. But, on the other hand, if somebody asks I'd have to come clean. Is it better to live a double life and only wear it in my personal time? I am down to 30 mins to remove it and 30 mins to attach it which I think is not bad at all, and I am fine to walk around with the samurai/Larry David haircut. I have always been Norwood 6 with buzzed down hair so people surely would notice I think. I wanted to be open and honest about it, saying that I am trying it temporarily while I consider a more permanent option of a hair transplant. But it seems like this is a bad idea.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey all. I got my first system fitted around 3 weeks ago. I am still getting used to it. Anyway, there have been restrictions in my country due to Covid 19 but I will be going back to the office workplace soon (used to be work from home for the whole time). I wouldn't be working in the office every single day of the week I don't think. Anyway, I have not been there for months and this would be the ideal opportunity to wear my system and people to not even remember what my hair was like before. But, on the other hand, if somebody asks I'd have to come clean. Is it better to live a double life and only wear it in my personal time? I am down to 30 mins to remove it and 30 mins to attach it which I think is not bad at all, and I am fine to walk around with the samurai/Larry David haircut. I have always been Norwood 6 with buzzed down hair so people surely would notice I think. I wanted to be open and honest about it, saying that I am trying it temporarily while I consider a more permanent option of a hair transplant. But it seems like this is a bad idea.
Wear it everyplace you go. Make it part of your "new" life. It looks really good on you. If I were in your shoes, I would be wearing it everywhere and not caring what people think. You can rock it well. And if somebody does ask, answer with doesn't it look good?

Znx

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you consider it a bad idea? For your explanation, it seemed very good to me, specially when you are Willing to come clean with ppl. Im down with doctor house

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Wear it everyplace you go. Make it part of your "new" life. It looks really good on you. If I were in your shoes, I would be wearing it everywhere and not caring what people think. You can rock it well. And if somebody does ask, answer with doesn't it look good?
It doesn't look that good. The hairline is detectable up close. I asked for exactly this style and it's what I got.
It looked perfect out of the salon. But if you try to do that style without a hairdryer or just move it a little, the hairline will show. This is a poly system with an exposed hairline. It must be styled delicately to not show the hairline.

Why do you consider it a bad idea? For your explanation, it seemed very good to me, specially when you are Willing to come clean with ppl. Im down with doctor house
This forum is full of people who hide it away. And there are stories of some ridicule too. When I go public I can't go back.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
It doesn't look that good. The hairline is detectable up close. I asked for exactly this style and it's what I got.
It looked perfect out of the salon. But if you try to do that style without a hairdryer or just move it a little, the hairline will show. This is a poly system with an exposed hairline. It must be styled delicately to not show the hairline.

This forum is full of people who hide it away. And there are stories of some ridicule too. When I go public I can't go back.
Then get one that you can work with. You are still new to it but I am sure someone like @Noah can give you better advice than I can.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
It depends what you are trying to accomplish, and why you have your system in the first place.

To me, a system is not practical if I had it only to increase my dating chances. It is still too socially stigmatized unfortunately.

If I had it because I thought my self image would improve a lot with it, well then I would wear it all the time. But, having buzzed my head down to a zero, I still recognize myself as long as I have a hairline and some frontal third. So, for me, a transplant can solve this problem as long as I have enough money to go to a top surgeon.

Eugenix, as an example clinic, has done wonders with high Norwoods even with bad donor areas, as they are able to incorporate beard grafts very successfully if the donor is weak.

If my profession required it, meaning if I was an actor, on TV, somewhere where my physical appearance mattered a lot, then a transplant would not suffice, and I would need a system to fulfill whatever role is needed.

So ultimately you must do some soul searching what it is your motivation for having it.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Keep in mind though, this has been my observation.

Most people are very bad at noticing hair loss. They categorize people as either bald, or not. Before I started losing my hair, I thought male pattern baldness was a bad haircut, I'm dead serious.

Even with my hair diffusing in a clear Norwood 6 pattern, I got away with a "full head of hair" with clever combover tricks and concealers. When anyone on this forum would clearly say this guy is a Norwood 6, but in public I never got that reaction.

This is why, largely, transplants work. They provide a sufficient illusion of density where people in public no longer perceive you in the bald category. Even though your density is still way lower than what true, native density is without hair loss.

So you sacrifice a substantial amount of money and recovery time, but you gain:

-No daily maintenance from the hair system, no glues, no worries about if anyone will notice, you can live carefree.
-You save time from shaving your head if you are that far gone that you feel you must shave daily or every other day.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
It depends what you are trying to accomplish, and why you have your system in the first place.

To me, a system is not practical if I had it only to increase my dating chances. It is still too socially stigmatized unfortunately.

If I had it because I thought my self image would improve a lot with it, well then I would wear it all the time. But, having buzzed my head down to a zero, I still recognize myself as long as I have a hairline and some frontal third. So, for me, a transplant can solve this problem as long as I have enough money to go to a top surgeon.

Eugenix, as an example clinic, has done wonders with high Norwoods even with bad donor areas, as they are able to incorporate beard grafts very successfully if the donor is weak.

If my profession required it, meaning if I was an actor, on TV, somewhere where my physical appearance mattered a lot, then a transplant would not suffice, and I would need a system to fulfill whatever role is needed.

So ultimately you must do some soul searching what it is your motivation for having it.
Eugenix does truly incredible work, especially on the crown and hairline. And their proprietary methodology means that the results grow in more quickly after the surgery. But I am still on the fence about going on meds for 10+ years. That's why I tried the temporary solution of a system.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Most people are very bad at noticing hair loss. They categorize people as either bald, or not. Before I started losing my hair, I thought male pattern baldness was a bad haircut, I'm dead serious.

Even with my hair diffusing in a clear Norwood 6 pattern, I got away with a "full head of hair" with clever combover tricks and concealers. When anyone on this forum would clearly say this guy is a Norwood 6, but in public I never got that reaction.

This is why, largely, transplants work. They provide a sufficient illusion of density where people in public no longer perceive you in the bald category. Even though your density is still way lower than what true, native density is without hair loss.
Nobody cares more about hair than this forum.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Eugenix does truly incredible work, especially on the crown and hairline. And their proprietary methodology means that the results grow in more quickly after the surgery. But I am still on the fence about going on meds for 10+ years. That's why I tried the temporary solution of a system.
There is an older guy who was Norwood 6 or 7 with a bad donor who is effectively restored to close to a full head of hair after multiple surgeries at Eugenix. You can search the other forum where he details his journey, I believe his name is zoomster.

There are also topical finasteride formulas from hasson and wong I believe, maybe Eugenix has their own as well I am not certain.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Of course the system is a good idea to try and see, no harm no foul a little bit of $ but better to have the question answered than to have lingering doubts.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
There is an older guy who was Norwood 6 or 7 with a bad donor who is effectively restored to close to a full head of hair after multiple surgeries at Eugenix. You can search the other forum where he details his journey, I believe his name is zoomster.

There are also topical finasteride formulas from hasson and wong I believe, maybe Eugenix has their own as well I am not certain.
But then again aren't we back where I already am? Before taking the plunge to pay all that money and go on meds for 10+ years, I should get a system and be sure that I want to have hair?

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score

So you sacrifice a substantial amount of money and recovery time, but you gain:

-No daily maintenance from the hair system, no glues, no worries about if anyone will notice, you can live carefree.
-You save time from shaving your head if you are that far gone that you feel you must shave daily or every other day.
I heard that you got a transplant recently, how has that been going?

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been going well still in the early ugly duckling stages as it's been just over two months so almost all the grafts have shed, just trying to stay patient and let the process play out.
How many grafts did you get and what Norwood did you get transplanted to? Hopefully you'll be out of the duckling phase soon and have a good head of hair. I've been thinking about getting a transplant at some point, man it would be nice to have good hair again.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
But then again aren't we back where I already am? Before taking the plunge to pay all that money and go on meds for 10+ years, I should get a system and be sure that I want to have hair?
I don't think there is any doubt you want to have hair, as if I'm not mistaken you have lamented for a while that baldness has substantially impacted your life in a negative manner.

So, you have tried life as a bald guy for a while and I think you've concluded you aren't happy with it. That is understandable, in my opinion life is a lot better with hair, that is why I got a transplant recently.

I may be wrong though, clearly there are a lot of happy bald guys out there. I just think having hair makes social interactions easier, and I prefer to have a more youthful appearance, so that's why I did it.

However, are you not happy with it because of other people's perceptions or due to your own self image?

Your question should be not the binary one of should I have hair or not, but how much hair do you think you need to make your life better?

In my opinion, even with a worse donor, I believe your beard is quite strong, and a clinic like Eugenix could do a great enough job to get you out of the bald guy category in social situations.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
How many grafts did you get and what Norwood did you get transplanted to? Hopefully you'll be out of the duckling phase soon and have a good head of hair. I've been thinking about getting a transplant at some point, man it would be nice to have good hair again.
I had a large session, 4,300 grafts in the entire Norwood 6 area. Recovery was tough for that large of a session but the surgeon had confidence I could obtain a good result. Probably half in the crown and half in the frontal third.

I waited over a year to go to the surgeon I went to, I can pm you more details.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a large session, 4,300 grafts in the entire Norwood 6 area. Recovery was tough for that large of a session but the surgeon had confidence I could obtain a good result. Probably half in the crown and half in the frontal third.

I waited over a year to go to the surgeon I went to, I can pm you more details.
I'd love to hear more, you can pm the details

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't you just go for an unexposed hairline? It will make life a lot easier

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Why don't you just go for an unexposed hairline? It will make life a lot easier
I can't find a style that I like. Can you recommend one? I think that the shape of my face is like Ryan Reynolds. I put my photo on some online assessment.