VR system installed - thoughts and pictures.

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Hello All,
I got my virtual reality system on 4/20. My side hair is super short and I barely had enough hair growth on the back to make it blend. However – its done. Give me your thoughts I am posting some pictures. Here are my thoughts and experiences.
1. I had a lapband about 6 years ago and am down to 200, was about 450. I also battle plaque psoriasis so I am self-conscience guys – so go easy on me.
2. I think the color match is good and seeing my scalp is neat.
3. This is expensive, I paid about 1600 down and pay about 200 a month.
4. I can come and go anytime and they will fit you in no matter what – more on that later. They also email you back and call you directly – I have had two checkup calls from the owner of the business and its just 5 days later.
5. They are open about many things at my salon but would not let my girlfriend go back with me – I did not push it, but it was a little weird.
6. I was totally amazed when I got the system. I asked them to cover the mirror (mistake) but I went in bald and came out looking super sexy I think. I think I look years younger – I turned 33 on 4/20.
7. I was told to wash it with their shampoo and conditioner – about 7 bucks a piece (good size bottle) but they gave me a complete kit and said they would do so each year, plus they gave me some Paul Mitchell product because it was my birthday. They say to use a spray in conditioner, their product, twice a day to keep the hair moist and protected, it almost has a hairspray hold and smells like nothing at all – very misty.
8. I have not been made yet. I went in to have my license renewed, just lucky timing, and the lady said, “Why did you shave your head before, you have beautiful hair.” I responded – “I was being a rebel.” Did not know what else to say.
9. I have noticed both men and women look at me VERY differently now (sexy looks from both, and I have been given numbers from different women, strange for me) – maybe because my head looks less pointy with hair on.
10. The system can itch, I asked a lady at work about it and she said just to tap it or pat it, she has a weave.
11. No one, and I mean no one at work has said a word to me about it. I have been growing my hair out for about a month and have looked kind of crazy – not my usual slick head, but come on people. Maybe this is just not something that comes up in polite conversation.
12. When I was first bonded that night it was hard to sleep on my back, I could feel the system pushing my scalp forward – slept on my side, and the next night just slight pressure and I could sleep fine.
13. I have noticed my hairline has a little white tint to it in places where it was cut I suppose. I asked about this and they said - since I was not wearing it up, being my first bond, and because of the thinness of the system due to my thin side hair that it is normal. My base is thicker, the stylist commented on that and said, “some of these are so fragile, this is nice.” I assume they went with the thicker base because I am new to this. I see them in about a week and I am going to demand they do something about it for the money I paid.

14. My goal is to have a big side part and a brush back, like Ryan Gosling sorta. They said they will do whatever it takes to meet my goal of this, I just need to let my side hair grow so it can blend well. They said we can experiment with different densities, lengths, and hairlines as my side hair grows out.
15. I found out I have grey in my hair! LOL They put gray in the system as well to match and I think it looks nice.
16. I can feel the system when I run my hand along the scalp at the edges. They used tape and glue – they said the tape was to ensure it holds since this is my first time and that a total glue could work maybe, but that they do not believe in “hard bonding,” and really don’t want to do that – not sure what that means.
17. I did have small disaster. After I had the system attached, they told me no heavy sweating, no serious activity for 24 hours including not to shower. I went to my tailor and tried on 5 pairs of pants and sweated like a dog…my system came up at the hairline at the edges…had to drive back up, and they put some tape on it and its strong now. I broke the rules so I am sure this is my fault.
Thought his might help others. While I have only had a system for a few days…I have a new bounce in my step, I feel “normal,” I am talking to people and using eye contact, I feel like a new man. I am scared to death it will come off, I am super careful with it, but I think that it will be fine…I hope.

Even though my system is not meant to be pushed back at this point, my girlfriend tried the gosling look on it and its not bad all considering.

20160421_220235_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20160420_073959_resized.jpg
    20160420_073959_resized.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 713
  • 20160420_074008_resized.jpg
    20160420_074008_resized.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 696
  • 20160420_103332_resized.jpg
    20160420_103332_resized.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 20160420_170046(0)_resized.jpg
    20160420_170046(0)_resized.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 760
  • 20160420_184601_resized.jpg
    20160420_184601_resized.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 698
  • 20160420_184615_resized.jpg
    20160420_184615_resized.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 698
  • 20160421_220230_resized.jpg
    20160421_220230_resized.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 714

chipper82

Reaction score
That looks great mate well done and thanks for taking the time to share your experience, I am hoping my system will arrive at the salon next week so I can have it fitted and I honestly can't wait! Reading this has given me more confidence about getting the system and what to expect

shookwun

Reaction score
are you doing it yourself the re, and de-attachment or relying on the salon?

It would be a good idea to learn how to do this yourself because the bonds don't last very long, and require touch ups.

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
That looks great mate well done and thanks for taking the time to share your experience, I am hoping my system will arrive at the salon next week so I can have it fitted and I honestly can't wait! Reading this has given me more confidence about getting the system and what to expect

Hello!

I am very pleased my posted helped someone in someway. It also helps me to hear from you guys and I appreciate the feedback greatly! At this point I am analyzing every experience and watching my new hair VERY close - so I will probably do updates as well. I think you will really like it - I was soooo bald before and this really does make me feel like a new me. I will saw it is not without some sacrifice and this is called virtual reality...in my mind because its almost real - not quite - I am sure there will be quirks along the way - but for now - this is better for my soul than running around pretending I am okay with being slick headed...this may change, but again, I am loving this so much. Also, I am getting to know myself and what I expect out of others from this experience - I am starting to grow and learn to demand the best when you spend your hard earned cash. I am being brutally honest about the system - I know I am new, and my system will grow as my hair does and evolve - I cannot wait to share it all with you!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

are you doing it yourself the re, and de-attachment or relying on the salon?

It would be a good idea to learn how to do this yourself because the bonds don't last very long, and require touch ups.

Excellent question. This was a huge decidingfactor for me. My salon is 1.5 hours away and I live in a bigish city. To me it’sworth the drive because when I inquired around town no one could seem to helpor wanted money upfront without talking to me and setting expectations.

I wastold that from time to time the front may lift a bit at the hairline - tosimply push down on it and it will go back, I have found this to be the case.It lifted up a bit on one side maybe three hairs worth, no one would even seeit, and I just pushed it back down and it stayed.

To answeryour question, the salon is doing all the work. They are very open to walkingin and doing touchups...wish they were closer. They did show me how to reattachit if it came up and gave me plenty of extra tape and a little glue if need be.They have been doing this for many many years and they put me in touch with clientswho quit a "system" and those that wear one currently. I talked toone man who quit because he said he was tired of being afraid it would comeoff, it never did in the 5 years he had it, but he said it didn't like havingto feel careful. The other wearers told me about swimming in the ocean andbeing fine, another side he had a slight lift in the front, put a little glueto it, and it was right as rain.

At thispoint I can barely style my own hair. My long term plan is to do it all myself.I am in the process of reading all the forums and watching videos on how to doit yourself. The hardest part for me is finding someone to cut it in, mostsalons around me won't even touch that - so I am going to have to learn how tocut my own hair if I DIY. For now, I can afford to let them do this - and whileit may not be perfect, as I outlined above, I can take a little imperfectionhere and there to have my hair back. All the while I will be learning from yourguys and one day switch to DIY, save money, and probably look even better.However, that time is a ways off for me. I will see what this year brings andif I am happy, I will probably stick with it for another year - I would thinkbuy then you good folks could help me find a good supplier and answer an questionseither directly or from reading past posts to give me the ability to do thismyself.

For now,I am happy and satisfied - let’s see how it goes. I promise to keep you guysupdated and I WILL be totally, brutally honest about my experience because Iknow I am paying a small fortune to feel good. I appreciate you guys beingkind, as I stated above - I am very sensitive about my body and hair, I lost myhair at 14 and was super hefty - I am still healing over this - and this newhair and my lapband have literally saved my life. I see your posts all over andI would like to thank you for all you do for this community.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me add that the owner told me that summer is rough on the bond and would want to see me more to ensure that the bond stays nice and tight. He said about every 3 weeks or so, but when it get colder he has some clients who go out to 6 weeks - he said its up to me and I am the driver. So with all that said, I am optimistic.

Thanks!

shookwun

Reaction score
Getting it cut in, and colored is one thing. idealy this is best approach to get a great style, but like anything the sides, and back will routinely need be touched up also. Which shouldn't be a problem if you go to this clinic twice a month.

As for the hair system, it will lift, and the bond will inevitably loosen and lift all over. You pretty much have no choice but to learn, and in the long run will save you lot's of money, and be a relief off your shoulder.

Showering, sweating, and sebum oils from the scalp will break the bond down. it may be good for the first 5 days seeing as your bald, but it will require touch ups.

Watch a lot of videos, and buy your products over at hair direct. All the adhesives, removers, and cleaners.

I hifgly suggest purchasing everything as soon as possible, because it can be very stressful when you have nothing to work with, and relying on a salons lies, and deceits. They all say the same bogus, the bonds will last 2-3 weeks.. NO PROBLEM! just like the bottles of adhesive say, but your own body chemistry will say otherwise. Most people re-and de-attach once a week. Especially for lace, if you dont the glue, and adhesive will break through the lace and get on the hair. it gets mushy.

Noah

Reaction score
First class job, Nemesis; congratulations on a great new look. Also a pretty easy-care look.

It sounds like you gave found an excellent salon to support you, which is nice to have when you are learning the ropes. Ultimately, though, I agree with Shookwun, albeit I would prefer to put it in less apocalyptic terms. You should aim to be able to do maintenance yourself, even if sometimes you prefer to let someone else do it for you: your confidence will increase when you know you are in control of your own system. When you get to that point, you will find that weekly maintenance is better for your unit and your scalp.

Meantime, enjoy what you have created, and congratulations again! And thanks for documenting your experience so fully; that will surely help people who are thinking about this step.

Noah

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I will be going down this path and will eventually DIY – but for now, I am at a comfortable spot. I also look forward to hearing back from those that are awaiting systems and seeing your new looks! I will keep you guys posted as I go along. Today, I was asked – how in the heck did you get your hair to grow in so quickly - oh and it rained and I did not have an umbrella - I pleased to report my new hair did not melt, come off, and fly away :)

shookwun

Reaction score
Make sure you protect your hair with some sort of UV agent.

Especially if it's color treated, it fades very fast.

shookwun

Reaction score
I unno. I had Hair directs leave in conditioner spray thats UV concentrated and it didn't do **** all.

I believe the quality of hair treatment is to be taken in consideration. my first hair piece didn't fade t all, and was re-dyed.

THis second one, I'm not sure what product was used but within 3 weeks it went from brown to dirty blonde.

Total disaster, left my sides and back completely obvious.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Man, take my advice and dont show your face on the internet like that and especially not with tape and glue on your head before attachment. Anyway congrats on wearing and I hope it will make your life better.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I unno. I had Hair directs leave in conditioner spray thats UV concentrated and it didn't do **** all.

I believe the quality of hair treatment is to be taken in consideration. my first hair piece didn't fade t all, and was re-dyed.

THis second one, I'm not sure what product was used but within 3 weeks it went from brown to dirty blonde.

should i be using a special shampoo, special rinse out conditioner, special leave in conditioner daily and a random uv protector daily? and of course a knot sealer. that should give the most length of life to a wig?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! The color match from what I can see, is phenomenal.
Might I suggest when you go DIY to try Got2beGlued Gel and Freezing Spray for attaching?! I have had tremendous luck using those products instead of glue or tape, and they are a simple way of practicing DIY.

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Make sure you protect your hair with some sort of UV agent.

Especially if it's color treated, it fades very fast.

Could you recommend a good UV agent for me to use? I am not sure about the color treatment - I am sure it is though. I have blonde hair as you can see, they mixed a little grey in too. They took 30 minutes or more matching my hair to their samples, and even sent a cutting off to ensure a "perfect blend." I would hate to lose that. I have been using the products they gave me Jorgen - but I also use another spray in conditioner from time to time - "John Frieda Frizz Ease Daily Nourishment Leave-In Conditioning Spray by John Frieda for Unisex Hair Spray." I got a two pack from amazon fairly cheap - around 11 dollars shipped and it works well. But, I would love to know about UV rated products - please let me know guys.
Thanks so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Man, take my advice and dont show your face on the internet like that and especially not with tape and glue on your head before attachment. Anyway congrats on wearing and I hope it will make your life better.

Wow, I did not even think about it. Have you had a bad experience? Everyone I know pretty much understands its a system except for those that I don't see that often. I explained it because I have been bald for years, and then showed up with a full head of hair. Any reason I should not show this? I was hoping to help others, but if it does more harm than good I will be glad to take it down.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Vincent777 - I am loving it! :)

- - - Updated - - -

You look incredible man! 10 years younger, easily.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it! My grandmother raved about it and I was sitting on the backdeck with my my girlfriend, sorta in the shadows and she said, "come into the light, You look like a teen sitting back there, creeps me out! " hahah. Seriously though, I was shocked when I saw my new hair, I was flooded with emotions, I felt younger and felt like I looked so much better. I have gotten ID'd everytime I have been out and I am 33 years old. I am trying to take better care of my skin, cleaning twice a day, lotions with UV in them, and eye creams. I don't want to crack all to pieces. I know I have done damage to my skin, but I think I can help it age better and even retain some youth for a while:) I am trying so hard to be the best me I can be.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks pretty good! The color match from what I can see, is phenomenal.
Might I suggest when you go DIY to try Got2beGlued Gel and Freezing Spray for attaching?! I have had tremendous luck using those products instead of glue or tape, and they are a simple way of practicing DIY.

Thank you! I will look into these for sure. I think they did great on the color match, the owner seems to be really invested in each piece he puts on. I am very happy with it so far. I did a slicked back look the other day and I really enjoyed combing my hair back, it was so cool!

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE 5/9/2016:

I have been wearing for almost three weeks now. I go in this Wednesday for my check-up so to speak. No attachment issues so far. It seems to be staying put and is holding up well. I have followed the directions of leave conditioner twice a day and have use many different products in it. So far, I have zero complaints. I will be getting a new one probably 4-5 weeks from now. I am growing my side hair out longer to accommodate a longer, maybe thicker piece. I am so excited. I know there will be bumps along the way and I have outlined the downsides before, but so far - great results. I will keep you guys posted!

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Update: 5/18/2016

I went in for my first checkup and cleaning. Super cool time. They took off my system, put a headband thing around my head so they could clean the top and not get stuff in my face. They washed my head, cleaned it, dried it, then applied a mask like material to it. After it set up and dried they washed my head again. All the while my system was gone being cleaned and looked over. It was weird guys…I have gotten used to having hair and seeing myself without it…was…disturbing! I don’t know if I can go back to being bald and beautiful.
After they washed the mask material off they said since my bond was so solid that they would only apply a little tape on the sides up towards the front since it is coming up on hot weather, but I could of course opt out. I went with the tape just in case. They also applied glue and let it set up. The owner sat and talked to me about my Allen Edmonds and Elon Musk’s new transportation system.

They brought my system back in, reattached it and did a basic styling. They also did a little color blending on the back where my hair has grown out more. I also found out I have some grey and white hair coming in at my temples…at 33. I guess being bald wasn’t enough. I have embraced it though. The owner is of the impression that it’s the little things, a little grey here, and a little color there, imperfections that help it blend it. Again, he told me that if I wanted a total blonde color blend - dye job – they would do that no problem. I said, no, I wanted to get the imperfection is perfection look. A little grey and silver I my system and my hair never hurt anyone and make it look so realistic.

I have also been using a product called beach head (or something like that), it adds volume and really helps the hair style the way I want it to.
I took a long weekend and went hiking. I slept in tents, sweated like a pig, and I did not even notice my hair. I am loving it so far guys – I have been in hair since the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] of April – I know not long but so far, so good. I am thinking about going with a lace front on my next piece so I can have the most natural hairline possible, also exploring DIY.
Downsides:

I wish I would have gotten my system years ago…my quality of life would have been much better – hope I am still saying this 6 months from now.
About once, maybe twice a day my head will itch a little (like in a 1x1 spot or smaller), I pat it a couple of times and it stops. My “hair,” itches less now that when I had “real” hair!

If I don’t use leave in conditioner after using a bunch of product before a shower I have noticed my hair will tangle – spray a little in though, and it untangles…might have been using a cheap shampoo as well…so probably my fault – and my girlfriend is like…you hair is packed with stuff, you have to clean it and condition it right or it WILL tangle.

I guess the biggest one is: I know it’s not “real.” People just assume it is and love my hair, but I know that this is costing me money, time, and it is just a rug, perhaps a nice rug, but a rug nevertheless glued to my head. For now, it will do – but I hope one day they do find a cure for baldness…by that time I may not even care anymore.
I have had many people say great things. One dude did kinda catch me off guard by saying, “what did you do, get a fancy wig!” “It looks real, but there is no way you regrew yo’ hair!” Yes I know…it’s a wig…not a system per se…the guy is crude but he did cut through the $h*t quick lol.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

my hair salon told me that uv protection won't stop it from losing color. they say it just happens as quickly anyway.
mine still looks perfect luckily. 2,5 months now.