Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another week, another jack sh*t to show for it other than a sore head. Maybe i need to just butcher my scalp lol

I have a feeling these cheap dr pens don't work as well over a long time from the motors wearing down. I notice it has a harder time going existing hair now

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something not often discussed is the depth at which one forces the needles down the scalp. It's an often left out information by those getting results. The amount of needles, the amount of passes and the amount of Minoxidil one applies is also valuable to know.

Success has been held by some through needling just once a week with a 1.5mm dermaroller but also by dermarolling with a 1.5mm dermaroller everyday. When needling once a week with a 1.5mm dermaroller it's more common that the needling is done heavily, with more passes and at a greater depth which draws blood. When needling everyday, regardless of needle length, focus is most commonly layed on just reddenning the skin.

There's plenty of evidence already that applying Minoxidil straight after needling is more effective. Minoxidil is put to more use with this method because of the increased absorption. However, more Minoxidil means more side effects such as an even greater amount of body hair being grown and lowered blood pressure. High doses of Minoxidil are easily held with oral pills and has the potential to promote extreme hair growth all over the body but might at the same time result dangerous.
Yeah it's more effective because you're pouring minoxidil directly into your blood stream where it doesn't need the enzyme to be effective. Might as well just take oral min if you're going to do this regularly,

EMILIO CHESSA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it's more effective because you're pouring minoxidil directly into your blood stream where it doesn't need the enzyme to be effective. Might as well just take oral min if you're going to do this regularly,
is 2.5 mg of oral minoxidil per day okay?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s the general consensus here on oral minoxidil? Anyone had results using it? Is it more effective?

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. But microneedling also upregulates the enzymatic activity in the scalp.

0.5mg of dutasteride and 10mg of oral Minoxidil made some guy grow so much hair that his temples started connecting with his eyebrows. He would be on the Norwood minus scale. I would say the regimen isn't entirely safe though. Some also seem to be poor responders to Minoxidil, which I'll have to read up more on for an explanation.
Eh Everyone's different. I've been on dutasteride 0.5 Eod + microneedling follica regime + topical minoxidil/tret and it hasn't even slowed it down

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
I had improvements using a common roller, with 1.5 needles. Once a week, strong until bleeding. Minoxidil once a day and waiting 24 hours after the roller session. I was also taking 1mg of finasteride, but from years ago. I stopped because it was quite painful, possibly I will return to it.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find that it gets increasingly harder to needle as effectively as when they started? I used to draw blood easily at 1.75 mm, now I can't get anything more than some reddening of the skin even though I'm pressing harder and doing more passes at the same depth (I needle once a week).
Does the skin adapt and grow more resilient or is it just my dermapen breaking down?

Intrigued77777777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay so just bought a dermaroller. Got a few questions:

1) How long should I roll for?
2) How long after dermarolling/micro-needling do we apply Minoxidil (5%)?
3) Are people getting results on the front hairline?

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay so just bought a dermaroller. Got a few questions:

-How long should I roll for?
-Do we use Minoxidil immediately after, or 24 hours later? I read Minoxidil straight after is pointless because it will counter-act and you should wait some time.
Where do these myths come from? Roll until you get mild erythema to do the Dhurat protocol. Roll until you have 1600 wounds per cm² to do the Follica protocol. Up to you. The reason for not applying minoxidil immediately afterwards is to avoid systemic absorbtion, but Follica's study showed there is little systemic absorption when applied immediately afterwards so most people do it anyways.

Intrigued77777777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where do these myths come from? Roll until you get mild erythema to do the Dhurat protocol. Roll until you have 1600 wounds per cm² to do the Follica protocol. Up to you. The reason for not applying minoxidil immediately afterwards is to avoid systemic absorbtion, but Follica's study showed there is little systemic absorption when applied immediately afterwards so most people do it anyways.

So is the current consensus have a hot bath/shower (opens the skin), apply Minoxidil first (according to Rassman) and then dermaroll?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you need to "open the skin" to dermaroll? Doesn't dermarolling do that? You get more drug to the follicle if you apply it before you needle, but that also might increase the pain level.

Intrigued77777777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Should I use derma roller before or after applying Minoxidil? (realself.com)
How To Use Derma Roller and Minoxidil to Regrow Hair! (mattdominance.com)

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What does "Eod" and "tret" stand for? Also, is it 5% Minoxidil that you're on? If so, how much are you applying and for how long? Have you considered adding oral Minoxidil? From what I've read, some respond very poorly even on standard doses of oral Minoxidil, but when they increase the dosage up to a certain amount they get a great response.
Sorry I meant to say every day instead of Eod (every other day). I've done oral dutasteride for 1.5 years, did finasteride for 1.5 years before that. Topical 5% min for 3 years, just added tretinoin a few months ago.

Not willing to do oral min due to heart concerns even if they're unlikely.

I say it didn't do anything but I'd probably be nw4 right now if I hadn't immediately started an aggressive regimen as soon as i noticed minor temple recession.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Amazing results for 41 years old, and only five months.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Amazing results for 41 years old, and only five months.
One in a million chance of results like that unless you are Asian