Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any long term needling only guys remaining? I'm about 7 months in with no success and continue diffuse thinning. Might just call it quits soon. Needling day just sucks now
In a couple of days I'll get to the 6 month mark and post pictures for you guys to assess whether it's working or not. Regardless, I will continue needling for over a year.
It's sad to say this, but yes, apparently every success case here are people who are also on minoxidil. If I eventually get no results in the picture test, I am going to try the everyday approach in one temple. Seems to have worked in at least 3 out of 4 instances of the ones who have tried it.

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In a couple of days I'll get to the 6 month mark and post pictures for you guys to assess whether it's working or not. Regardless, I will continue needling for over a year.
It's sad to say this, but yes, apparently every success case here are people who are also on minoxidil. If I eventually get no results in the picture test, I am going to try the everyday approach in one temple. Seems to have worked in at least 3 out of 4 instances of the ones who have tried it.

Do you mean by 'every day approach' light needling to increase absorption of topicals presumably minoxidil?

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 117999
This is from the recent Follica news update.

I'm startin to think if you are only needling that 1x/2weeks (at 2mm) is too much, although the wounding they did here was probably deeper than 2mm.

I respectfully disagree. There isn't any indication, any evidence that the issue is longer healing periods. It hasn't been tested in any way. On the contrary, we have somewhat modest (anecdotal) evidence to support that increasing frequency either improves, or at least doesn't negatively affect regrowth. Four individuals have tried the everyday approach, 3 of them have got results, 1 didnt get any. This is far from a solid statement given that frequency hasn't been properly tested in controlled conditions, and a sample of four is absurdly small, but those anecdotal accounts al least make that approach worth trying it and suggest that the longer healing thing may not be a thing.

Last edited:

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you mean by 'every day approach' light needling to increase absorption of topicals presumably minoxidil?
Yes, light needling (about 1mm with roller) everyday.
If that works, I am not sure if it is due to increased absorbtion of tropicals or due to increasing the intensity of the allegued mechanism of action of needling per se, regardless of topical. I am a bit skeptical of the absorbtion thing, although it's completely plausible.

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. There isn't any indication, any evidence that the issue is longer healing periods. Hasn't been tested in any way. On the contrary, we have somewhat modest (anecdotal) evidence to support that increasing frequency either improves, or at least doesn't negatively affect regrowth. Four individuals have tried the everyday approach, 3 of them have got results, 1 didnt get any. This is far from a solid statement given that frequency hasn't been properly tested in controlled conditions, but those anecdotal accounts make that approach worth trying it and suggest that the longer healing thing may not be a thing.

But what about people who reported deterioration? From memory, they had a rather high frequency. On the other hand, there were also good responders.
I sort of can recall that Chen does it daily but for absorption. I feel that must be clearly specified by high frequency needlers.
But then, some people that perform light rolling for absorption may think that they achieve only the required 0.3mm but actually go 0.75mm deep what is actually wounding. Not a problem for Derminator people as they simply set the depth as required.
Thats why I have a 0.25 and a 1mm roller and press hard at all times. At least that reduces uncertainty.

Damn..not to lose oversight here is definitely a hard task.
It would be a good idea if all participants specify under 'My Regimen' all details ie. depth, frequency, minoxidil use, AA use etc.

That way, one can look up details of participants at any time without asking. That would make it easier not to get lost so quickly in this thread.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Been watching for a while. First post. Never had results from minoxidil alone and the finasteride side effects were so bad I had to stop it.Eventually I got to almost a NW5 and thought there was no hope. Ended up trying a dermeroller (wounding) with iodine on the wound days once a week and minoxidil twice a day otherwise.

I was blown away with the results so far. I know I need to wait a year or so but so far what I have is awesome. Maybe I have regrown miniturised hair, I’m 42 so i figured most was gone but if I did have any I’m extactic as I have never seen it before(for a long time).

I haven’t had a shed yet and if I do I’d be surprised. Everything is looking great so far. Will keep you all posted as to how it goes.

Pics are in reverse order:
-Almost baseline (Starting to see dark hair follicles)
-6 weeks in. (freckle in the top right corner for guide.
- almost three month in. Hair a lot thicker and lots of miniature hair showing amongst the new terminal hairs. Hoping they turn full terminal as well.

I really think iodine is a very important part. They used it in the study and I read from some people with really great results, that they are using it. I added it 1 month ago myself.

NilesCrane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, it was quite disappointing, I had high hope for this. I've had literally zero cosmetic effect from 1.5 weekly

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So, at this day, we don't really know the depth and frequence to use...in order to avoid creating scars...1.5mm each week ? 2mm every 3 weeks ? I used minoxidil during 2 years without any effects ( i'm on dutasteride too). I bought a dermapen but don't really know what depth/frequence using...

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, at this day, we don't really know the depth and frequence to use...in order to avoid creating scars...1.5mm each week ? 2mm every 3 weeks ? I used minoxidil during 2 years without any effects ( i'm on dutasteride too). I bought a dermapen but don't really know what depth/frequence using...
For now, I'd say stick to the parameters set in the studies, which are 1.5-2mm, once a week or once every 2 weeks. Although we have no idea what could be the optimal depth, some users here are starting to experiment with frequency (including myself), so perhaps at the end of the year we might have some more knowledge regarding frequency.

Ardarus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I started doing this on 24 april, I was on nothing from 2016 and my hair was getting super bad so I jumped on RU and minoxidil a month ago, in this month my hair went from greasy sh*t to semi good condition, I've got a lot of new strong black hairs on my head and few on my hairline and temples (which is weird because I have almost white hair :p)

It's been only 5 days from first needling so I can call it a starter point.
You can see there new black hairs on my hairline and a lot of small white hairs (thanks to RU&Mino)
(WITH LAMP)
Right temple
https://i.imgur.com/qLqZNFB.jpg
Close up
https://i.imgur.com/HZlm7VO.jpg

There is interesting thing going on when I'm doing a photo without lamp
I've never seen this before when I was doing close up photos of my temples, a lot of black dots underskin with small hairs sprouting out
https://i.imgur.com/lqczaNJ.jpg
I'm not having high hopes but please tell me you should not have these on bald temples where there were no hairs for 8 years.

I will post next photos in next month.
Cheers.

Last edited:

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
guys, i want to buy a electric micro needling pen. shall i get the derma pen or what other option is there?

Headdy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, it was quite disappointing, I had high hope for this. I've had literally zero cosmetic effect from 1.5 weekly
I think you should try lowering the frequency.
Something like a nice moderate 1.5mm once every 3-4 weeks.
Especially if you're not needling for the absorption purpose, you are looking for the healing which takes longer than a week

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 117999
This is from the recent Follica news update.

I'm startin to think if you are only needling that 1x/2weeks (at 2mm) is too much, although the wounding they did here was probably deeper than 2mm.

Been saying this as well. I've been experimenting with needling with more intensity and giving more time between. My last session before last Saturday was 3 weeks prior.

What i mean by intense needling. I take my DR pen on 1.75 and i go over the same areas literally 15-20 times. After a while it becomes painful to go over them more and more. There are blood spots all over, but nothing insane at all. However i'm of the mindset of causing damage and letting things heal. I'm still seeing results month to month and gradual thickening. I'll be curious as to where i am come August as that will be around 6-7 months for me. Honestly it doesn't even hurt as much anymore, and i do it less frequently.

Again to me, cause damage = get response by letting body do its thing. We will see. Guess follica has similar ideas in controlled studies.

Almost 7 months into it.. I am calling it quits on derma. I maintained fine on big 3 but whatever hair I shed after derma never regrew. I diffused significantly during past 7 months. Good luck to all those trying and hope they have better response than I did. Going through this thread, there seem two sets of people, ones who have recently started big two with derma and have great response and others like me who had been on other treatments for quite a bit of time and end up having no or worse response.

I'm sorry, but i think to generalize the people seeing results as "who have started the big two + derma" isn't accurate at all. I have read every single page in this thread since the beginning. There have been people with all different types of regimens trying this. I for one have been on minoxidil for 7 years and all it did was maintain hair. Now with needling my hair is thicker than ever. Everyone is different.

Bitless

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but i think to generalize the people seeing results as "who have started the big two + derma" isn't accurate at all. I have read every single page in this thread since the beginning. There have been people with all different types of regimens trying this. I for one have been on minoxidil for 7 years and all it did was maintain hair. Now with needling my hair is thicker than ever. Everyone is different.

This is so true, even with finasteride,min, or duta, every single person who takes them have different results. You can’t just generalize by few bad results. It just not happening to you that’s it.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been saying this as well. I've been experimenting with needling with more intensity and giving more time between. My last session before last Saturday was 3 weeks prior.

What i mean by intense needling. I take my DR pen on 1.75 and i go over the same areas literally 15-20 times. After a while it becomes painful to go over them more and more. There are blood spots all over, but nothing insane at all. However i'm of the mindset of causing damage and letting things heal. I'm still seeing results month to month and gradual thickening. I'll be curious as to where i am come August as that will be around 6-7 months for me. Honestly it doesn't even hurt as much anymore, and i do it less frequently.

Again to me, cause damage = get response by letting body do its thing. We will see. Guess follica has similar ideas in controlled studies.

Well, I have also been reading this thread since it was created in October, and my impression is the same as baldco: MOST responders here, especially those who have supported their progress with pics, have also started minoxidil at the same time. After that, there is a small minority of responders who are on minoxidil but started years prior to needling (you fall into that category). I can't recall more than 4 individuals who are getting results and fall within this group. I suppose these are the "True" needling responders, but still a minority. After that, there are those who are only needling, without applying any topical or taking any anti androgen. That group, as far as I am aware of, has zero responders. At least in this trial. So yes, I think that even though the obvious "everyone is different" phrase, we can generalize and identify trends.
I should recall that this is my impression, which matches the impression of some other dudes here.

Again, this would be much easier if we summarize everything reported here in a single chart or table, so we could unambiguously make more accurate inferences on what is going on here.

Bitless

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finally, even the most delusional people have come to their senses and accepted reality
Idk why you so mad about this, are you mad about not getting results from just microneedling or with big 3 with microneedling ?