Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my 4 month update, really not sure if i have anything positive to report so far. In fact things could be worst, really struggling to get same position and lighting for photos. Also does anyone else sneeze when dermapening?!? Its getting a little overwhelming!
what other treatments do you take?
are you on minoxidil and finasteride as well?
If you cannot regrow with minoxidil/finasteride/derma then idk what to tell you.
fortunately your donor looks very thick, so why not go for a crown transplant?

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my scalp feels WAY better after a dermaROLLER session than with the Derminator

Derminator does not take away the scalp itch...

but the dermaroller completely removes it.

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my 4 month update, really not sure if i have anything positive to report so far. In fact things could be worst, really struggling to get same position and lighting for photos. Also does anyone else sneeze when dermapening?!? Its getting a little overwhelming!

Idk, looks like quite a bit of improvement to me... The edges of the bald spots are more filled, the center part is more filled, the bald parts are smaller in circumference.

And thats exactly how regrowth is to be expected...

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, seems there is no cosmetic progress in the crown yet. How is your frontal area doing? Are you seeing an improvement there? Seems like your crown has been gone for a long time, and that would partially explain the lack of early response.
Please keep needling for a year at least. Just remember PrettyFly.
Honestly, it is sad to see so many non-responders in this thread, but I have to be reminded that it is still early to have a definite conclusion given that most of us have sworn to stick to it for a full year.
What is somewhat disappointing for me is that at this point we don't seem to have replicated the first Indian study of Dhurat et alm (2013),in terms of proportion of responders. I mean, in that study, apparently EVERY subject improved at the 3 month mark. This doesn't seem to be the case here..... But we'll, that is what a trial is done for, to test or re-test stuff. Let's see what keeps happening for the rest of the year.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, seems there is no cosmetic progress in the crown yet. How is your frontal area doing? Are you seeing an improvement there? Seems like your crown has been gone for a long time, and that would partially explain the lack of early response.
Honestly, it is sad to see so many non-responders in this thread, but I have to be reminded that it is still early to have a definite conclusion given that most of us have sworn to stick to it for a full year.
What is somewhat disappointing for me is that at this point we don't seem to have replicated the first Indian study of Dhurat et alm (2013),in terms of proportion of responders. I mean, in that study, apparently EVERY subject improved at the 3 month mark. This doesn't seem to be the case here..... But we'll, that is what a trial is done for, to test or re-test stuff. Let's see what keeps happening for the rest of the year.

I mean, come on, man, how is that disheartening.. even PROVEN treatments Finasteride/Dutasteride/Cypro/minoxidil often yield very little results for slick bald areas. There are users on here who take full tranny regimens with cypro/dutasteride/estrogen/oral minoxidil and still do not see any improvement

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

more than half of non responders in this thread are not even using minoxidil

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, come on, man, how is that disheartening.. even PROVEN treatments Finasteride/Dutasteride/Cypro/minoxidil often yield very little results for slick bald areas. There are users on here who take full tranny regimens with cypro/dutasteride/estrogen/oral minoxidil and still do not see any improvement

Agreed here.

Been reading since the beggining of the thread and I’d def say you have more guys responding than not. Obviously we have our super responders.... but patience is what’s required.

Again it’s still early. Especially if people aren’t using minoxidil. And especially in slick bald areas. It’s going to take longer.

To me this needling thing needs to be done indefinitely. (even once per month long term). I think it’s power lies in being consistent. Compounding on results and maintaining them long term. Something other treatments don’t provide.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw guys I think I will get a crew cut tomorrow with the sides faded, my sides grow faster than the top of my head so I look silly currently lol

I will make sure he does not touch a single hair on the front or the crown

ZidaneBaldGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys... at first i thought it was just my hair growing longer. But...

My hair feels A TINY BIT THICKER!

If i actually got some improvement, it would be incredible.

In the past, no matter what i tried, i never got any sign of improvement.

Minoxidil for 6 months? Zero effect. It didn't improve my hair, nor cause a shed. Didn't even mantain on it!
Nizoral? Removed sebum, but had zero effect on hair loss, not even mantainance.
Anti DHT? Nothing.

My hairloss is sloooow as f***, but before this moment, i had never managed to even halt it.

If my suspicion is right, and needling is ACTUALLY doing something...

Then this is the first treatment that is actually working for me!

Once i finish my second month of needling, i'll post some photos so you can help me tell if my hair has actually improved.

I'm not sure if i have actually improved,

Last edited:

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
my scalp feels WAY better after a dermaROLLER session than with the Derminator

Derminator does not take away the scalp itch...

but the dermaroller completely removes it.
And what about redness...or soreness. More after a dermapen session? I am afraid I am somehow not doing it properly, I hardly get sore, maybe 24h max. But I do bleed quite significantly. I (still) only use a roller, once a week. Probably a light session tonight to help minoxidil absorbtion but no wounding.

paul1988

Established Member
Reaction score
What's your theory on hair getting thinner at the beginning of needling?
I'd say my hair looks worse than when I started it, however, I'm not going through a shed like I went before every improvement with finas/minoxidil.
As a matter of fact, I'm shedding less than ever before..

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know what you mean and I agree with most of what you said, but I must remind you the central point of my disappointment: Proportions.

I know that even conventional, overly tested and approved drugs such as finasteride and dutasteride have no effect on some subjects, but again that is expected. Why? Because in the studies, it has been reported again and again that around 50% of people get regrowth, while the others either just maintain or keep losing.
Given this, being a non-responder to finas/dutas is of no surprise given the numbers we have been aware of from the studies.
But needling is different. Note that in the needling studies, 100% of patients showed an improvement. I mean, every subject reports at least a very mild one, but the proportion of non-responders was freaking 0!!! I think that was the detail that got this thread super hyped. I don't think it was numberman's overly good response to the treatment alone, but the studies claiming that EVERYONE will respond.
At this point, we know it is not the case. I mean, I knew there was going to be non-responders, but I thought it was going to be like 1% of people, or something more in accordance with the studies, not the large proportions we are seeing here. This is what is disheartening to me.
I'm not saying this doesn't work, I'm not trying to take away motivation, no! I will still do this for a year, and I will still insist everyone to keep needling and not to give up based on PrettyFly and the other old needlers' stories, I'm just disappointed by the lack of congruence between the results reported in the studies and the ones we are seeing here in this trial, at the same time mark.

About your claim of half non-responders not being on minoxidil, I don't know man. Seems like the ones not using minoxidil in this thread are less that 4 individuals. To me, many non-responders here are also on min, but a proper count has to be made.

Do you understand my point now?

Last edited:

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Chris-lee09 & @sportsguy97 - Everyone may be different in terms of healing. If your scalp no longer feels tender, or isn't red or isn't flaking/peeling - you're probably good to go. I'm 7 days off my session from last week now - and I'm still peeling on my temples a little and elsewhere. Scalp feels fine though. Until I get rid of the peeling - I am holding off. That might be 10 days for me, or 14.

I'm sure there's a much more scientific understanding of what's going on with the scalp healing during this time. Until we have some of that data - go with your gut in the interim.

I do somewhat equate this to the gym whether it makes sense or not. Destroying your muscles constantly with little healing time won't do any good. Rest/recoup is really important in the healing process.
Wound healing has phases/stages. The microneedling studies took this into account. I like your example about muscle recuperation. There are different factors that vary from person to person that will dictate how fast or slow that they will heal.

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know what you mean and I agree with most of what you said, but I must remind you the central point of my disappointment: Proportions.

I know that even conventional, overly tested and approved drugs such as finasteride and dutasteride have no effect on some subjects, but again that is expected. Why? Because in the studies, it has been reported again and again that around 50% of people get regrowth, while the others either just maintain or keep losing.
Given this, being a non-responder to finas/dutas is of no surprise given the numbers we have been aware of from the studies.
But needling is different. Note that in the studies, 100% of patient show an improvement. I mean, every subject reports at least a very mild one, but the proportion of non-responders was freaking 0!!! I think that was the detail that got this thread super hyped. I don't think it was numberman's overly good response to the treatment alone, but the studies claiming that EVERYONE will respond.
At this point, we know it is not the case. I mean, I knew there was going to be non-responders, but I thought it was going to be like 1% of people, or something more in accordance with the studies, not the large proportions we are seeing here. This is what is disheartening to me.
I'm not saying this doesn't work, I'm not trying to take away motivation, no! I will still do this for a year, and I will still insist everyone to keep needling and not to give up based on PrettyFly and the other old needlers' stories, I'm just disappointed by the lack of congruence between the results reported in the studies and the ones we are seeing here in this trial, at the same time mark.

About your claim of half non-responders not being on minoxidil, I don't know man. Seems like the ones not using minoxidil in this thread are less that 4 individuals. To me, many non-responders here are also on min, but a proper count has to be made.

Do you understand my point now?
I feel this. I'm not responding too well either, at least not as i pictured i would in 4 months. Still, Im seeing very slight improvements but its soooo slooooow... What's prettyfly's strory?

Buchwald

Reaction score
After use of my derma pen, I got this white stuff. Is it dandruff or what is it? And do you peeps also get this?

Attachments

• IMG_3439.png
    IMG_3439.png
    493.8 KB · Views: 380

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After use of my derma pen, I got this white stuff. Is it dandruff or what is it? And do you peeps also get this?
A mixture of dead skin and leftover minxodil thats dried onto your scalp if you use it. I get it too.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel this. I'm not responding too well either, at least not as i pictured i would in 4 months. Still, Im seeing very slight improvements but its soooo slooooow... What's prettyfly's strory?
PrettyFly was a user in the other forum (BTT) taking part of the trial back in 2013-2014. As far as I know, he was the only dude who didn't respond to needling in the months in which those trials were conducted, but eventually kept needling despite not seeing improvements. He eventually got most of his regrowth after a year of consistent needling.
Note that he was mostly slick bald, way worse than most of us here.

Also, about your progress, I am exactly in the same boat as you. My progress, if any, has just been barely noticeable at this time. If we go by the studies, at 3 months we should have at least got something more. Again, it doesn't mean needling doesn't work, but I am starting to think that the Dhurat study was trying to exaggerate the positive effects of needling. How on earth is it possible that there are 0 non-responders there?
Anyway, we should keep this up and keep testing it. Let's see what we got by 2020

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my opinion, but reading from the beginning of the thread i think your seeing 70-80% of people seeing something. Which is somewhat consistent with the studies. Again and its still early.

I'm not going to deny with needling some people's response could be super slow. However i truly believe with needling we'll be able to maintain all the hair we gain because we are attacking part of the root problem. If i told you you'd be able to gain half a norwood a year through needling, yes the progress would be painstakingly slow. However if i was able to maintain that regrowth it'd be a home run.

And again at the very least even in extreme non responders..... why not continue to needle at least once a month for a couple of years. The purpose of needling is to push growth factors. To push the follice to make a hair. To me even small regrowth at 3-4 months is impressive.....again if we can keep the hair we gain.