Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Tinkwetax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys (and girls)

Long time lurker here and I’ve been following this thread with particular interest. I honestly have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised over the last few months with seeing an emperical study being back up and delivering on a relatively large scale here.

I am a 23 year old diffuse thinner. I’d say I’m a NW1,5 +- but with a large decrease in density over the last two years.

Anyway, I had my first needling session 6 days ago and did 1,5mm with the Dr Pen. Hairline hurt a lot more than the crown and it remained red for a few days compared to the crown.
I plan to start min in a few weeks but just have graduation in a months time so want to avoid a shed before then (rather safe than sorry). I also plan to needle every two weeks at 1,5mm.

One question I have; over the last day or two I’ve had a large amount of dead skin with almost a waxy composition coming off my scalp where I’ve needled. I know flaking at this time is common but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this? (Scalp healing or getting rid of excuses sebum etc?)

I will keep you all updated over the next few months and would just like to say thank you to you all for the effort put in. Appreciate it.

I use a 1.25mm once a week and it looks like I got into a fight with a cat for about 3 days after use. But after the redness subsides and the scalp begins to recover, my hair does look noticeably thicker.

As for the flaking, I had the same issue for the first 3-4 sessions. It gradually got better with each session and now there's no more flaking.

NarWhal7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a 1.25mm once a week and it looks like I got into a fight with a cat for about 3 days after use. But after the redness subsides and the scalp begins to recover, my hair does look noticeably thicker.

As for the flaking, I had the same issue for the first 3-4 sessions. It gradually got better with each session and now there's no flaking.

I still get flaking on days 6-8, which to me is the skin healing and flaking off the old dead skin.

I wait for a good flake before needling again.

To me the flaking is a good sign of healing / shedding dead skin and growing new skin

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finally reached the 3 month mark myself a couple days ago having done 7 needling sessions in those 12 or so weeks. So averaging a session 1X every couple weeks roughly. I was aiming for every 7-10 days, but life gets in the way... vacation, work, etc. I usually do 1.5mm, though sometimes end with 1.75mm or 2.0mm if I'm feeling up to it.

Pitch/angle of my head is not the same in these photos, so it makes things look more favorable in the later photos (more hair appears on forehead due to angle, but there definitely isn't). None the less, there is regrowth on the crown!

21aT6iZ.jpg

AlwaysSouth

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone experiencing blurred vision?

I have been using Minoxidil from last 8-9 months. I didn't have any improvement and my balding got wrose earlier and I was not using regularly earlier. But from Dec 2018, I started derma rolling and using the Minoxidil regularly twice every day. From past few weeks, I have been experiencing blurred visition. Initially, I thought that I am experiencing eye sight due to age (39+). But today, after using the Minoxidil, I immediatly noticed effect. I just Googled to find out if its anything to do with Minoxdil and found this -
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5028441/

I don't want to stop the Minoxidil. I am noticing improvement with derma rolling and the Monixidil. Please suggest alternatives.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finally reached the 3 month mark myself a couple days ago having done 7 needling sessions in those 12 or so weeks. So averaging a session 1X every couple weeks roughly. I was aiming for every 7-10 days, but life gets in the way... vacation, work, etc. I usually do 1.5mm, though sometimes end with 1.75mm or 2.0mm if I'm feeling up to it.

Pitch/angle of my head is not the same in these photos, so it makes things look more favorable in the later photos (more hair appears on forehead due to angle, but there definitely isn't). None the less, there is regrowth on the crown!

View attachment 115383

Wow, that's a serious improvement for only 3 months, congratulations. Are you on any AA's or just minoxidil?

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hi, are you using minoxidil with the 1.5mm rolling?

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Derelict & @orange86 - Thanks! I started Finasteride/Minoxodil at the same time ~Dec. 10/18. Though I dropped Finasteride after 1 month - intending to do purely needling/minoxidil instead after seeing results from this thread. So my early results could certainly be influenced by the finasteride usage for a month. That said, the further away I get from that time, the less I believe it has influenced the results.

When I look at my hair from the front - looking at the mirror, I don't see a ton of difference honestly. I still see lots of scalp and fairly thin coverage. Hairline activity has been minimal. But these progress pics are from the top, where you can't really see well with your own eyes and there is for sure a difference.

Tinkwetax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My 4.5 results with dermarolling, finastride + minoxidil. I can't say for sure which one is working best but together they're doing wonders for my hair.

Attachments

• IMG_2019-02-28_15-28-22.JPG
    IMG_2019-02-28_15-28-22.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_2019-02-28_15-27-15.JPG
    IMG_2019-02-28_15-27-15.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,044

NarWhal7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results, both of you.

I made a post a few days ago about hitting 9 months and seeing some great strides recently since starting my Dr Pen A6 regimen (switched to pen from 1.5mm dermaroller and upped my frequency + intensity)

Was going to wait a few more months before posting, which I will do again, but wanted to share this little collage I put together.
In it is 1 month, 3 months, and 9 months progress.

https://imgur.com/QIZAaGq
QIZAaGq

nxpPUD3

AlwaysSouth

My Regimen
Reaction score

I made a post a few days ago about hitting 9 months and seeing some great strides recently since starting my Dr Pen A6 regimen (switched to pen from 1.5mm dermaroller and upped my frequency + intensity)

Was going to wait a few more months before posting, which I will do again, but wanted to share this little collage I put together.

QIZAaGq

nxpPUD3
Great results. How frequently are you rolling and whats is latest intensity and how long you do?

Tinkwetax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

QIZAaGq

nxpPUD3

Incredible results, congrats!

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@NarWhal7 - I was headed for your 1 month photo in the direction I was going! Ready to pack it in and buzz it. I still have a long way to go, but after 3 months - I'm enthused to continue.

Has your crown nearly recovered? Looks like lots of density from that front angle anyways.

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@orange86 - I wait until the next day. Sometimes that is less than 24hrs though. For instance I might needle in the afternoon, skip application of Minoxidil that evening, but still put Minoxidil on the following morning.

HowardWulkan

My Regimen
Reaction score
If microneedling on its own could just provide us with maintenance, that would be amazing imo.

I'm pretty surprised there's not wayyyyyyyyyy more studies on this stuff, considering the literal cure (or i guess effective treatment) for male pattern baldness could be hidden somewhere in all this..

NarWhal7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The crown is doing very well. My hair around it is pretty thick and the crown is not as thick as the rest yet, so you can still see that there is some thinning there. That gap is closing quickly though, especially as I can grow it out a bit longer.

I roll at 1.75mm on fastest speed setting, latest one was with 30 needle Dr Pen A6. I get a little pain but nothing I can't handle. Mostly redness with some blood on the front.

I roll immediately after showering and apply minoxidil immediately after rolling

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i derma rolled with 1mm and 12 hours later applied minoxidil. It stung a little. god knows how bad it will be with a depth of 1.5mm

@overpourgoodfortune, are you in the states? I live in England.

I'm looking to get a derma pen, which one should i get: Dr.pen A6, 12 pin, 36 pin or 42 pin ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-pen-A6-...UTF8&qid=1553117099&sr=8-3&keywords=dr+pen+a6

I live in Canada! The cold white north. We are balding brothers of the Commonwealth!

I actually purchased this cheaper pen from TBPHP that a few other folks on this forum use:
Though the Dr. Pen seems to be the more well known brand ... although that comes with a higher price tag too.