Very Confused Whether Abstinence Actually Decreases Hair Loss Or Increases It?

Alex95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey bro's I was scrolling feed on reddit and came up with this thread which says abstinence or nofap actually accelerates hairloss and I am very confused since then because I usually don't masturbate, much like once or twice a month only. I avoid it because it causes me to become a p**rn addict more or less and also due to spiritual reasons. Is this reddit thread really legit or just a load of some random assumptions? Kindly share your knowledge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoFap/comments/3r353n/heres_the_reason_why_nofap_can_increase_hair_loss/

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It most likely has different effects in different people... endocrinopathies can be quite strange (and I classify Androgenetic Alopecia as an endocrinoapthy)

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see how it could since ejaculation mildly increases DHT for a while.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just f***

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya but it seems to accelerate it
I think what's happeneing is that when male pattern baldness is occuring it is 'masked' by the hypothyroidism hair loss. When the thyroid issues are under control and hair grows back the hairs that were dying from DHT don't grow back. That would explain why some people say it made their hair worse.

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think what's happeneing is that when male pattern baldness is occuring it is 'masked' by the hypothyroidism hair loss. When the thyroid issues are under control and hair grows back the hairs that were dying from DHT don't grow back. That would explain why some people say it made their hair worse.

Honestly doubt it. It’s a known and scientifically proven association. Simplest explaination would be increased prolactin, prolactin=bad for hair. But it likely is much deeper and more complex than that both hormonally and likely reaching all the way down to a mitochonadrial level

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey bro's I was scrolling feed on reddit and came up with this thread which says abstinence or nofap actually accelerates hairloss and I am very confused since then because I usually don't masturbate, much like once or twice a month only. I avoid it because it causes me to become a p*rn addict more or less and also due to spiritual reasons. Is this reddit thread really legit or just a load of some random assumptions? Kindly share your knowledge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoFap/comments/3r353n/heres_the_reason_why_nofap_can_increase_hair_loss/
No fap could.possibly work along the same pathway as finasteride both lower dht levels with finasteride being the more aggressive obviously. Having said that with finasteride hairloss usually always gets worse first before it gets better . possibly the same with no fap. Would.take.a.while to see results. If u see your scalp clearing up and feeling healthy. Then ur on the right path my belief is its ok to fap as long as.its in light moderation. And for.that as with any meds everyone will react differently. U have to really monitor your self

Alex95

My Regimen
Reaction score
No fap could.possibly work along the same pathway as finasteride both lower dht levels with finasteride being the more aggressive obviously. Having said that with finasteride hairloss usually always gets worse first before it gets better . possibly the same with no fap. Would.take.a.while to see results. If u see your scalp clearing up and feeling healthy. Then ur on the right path my belief is its ok to fap as long as.its in light moderation. And for.that as with any meds everyone will react differently. U have to really monitor your self
I'm already on 1 mg finasteride ED but was opting for more healthy life style as the nofappers suggest fapping could accelerate the hair loss process by converting more testosterone to dht but I've also read that abstinence can cause high levels of testosterone on average and high androgen receptors as well so that has got me worried big time.

Alex95

My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I've definitely noticed is that after finasteride my random boner occurrences have probably gone to none before that I used to have this crazy sexual appetite all the time. Even on nofap for more than a month now I still don't get any random boners or morning erections but can get super hard upon looking a hot woman but never anything random.

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Show me a study demonstrating ejaculation causes hair loss to accelerate.

Even if it raised DHT levels temporarily after release, it's not long enough to have an effect on hair loss; it's back to baseline before it could acccelerate hair loss.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Show me a study demonstrating ejaculation causes hair loss to accelerate.

Even if it raised DHT levels temporarily after release, it's not long enough to have an effect on hair loss; it's back to baseline before it could acccelerate hair loss.
Their wont be any long term studies. There is no money to be made off of it

Endmymisery

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I've definitely noticed is that after finasteride my random boner occurrences have probably gone to none before that I used to have this crazy sexual appetite all the time. Even on nofap for more than a month now I still don't get any random boners or morning erections but can get super hard upon looking a hot woman but never anything random.
How long have you been taking it?

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it’s a placebo effect.

If you have male pattern baldness masturbating or not masturbating isn’t going to make a noticeable effect. I think the whole thing is bs IMO.

abcdefg

Reaction score
well if someone is confused by this, than I wouldnt suggest researching into the things involved with male pattern baldness because male pattern baldness is actually complicated. This is very easy abstinence makes no difference.

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well if someone is confused by this, than I wouldnt suggest researching into the things involved with male pattern baldness because male pattern baldness is actually complicated. This is very easy abstinence makes no difference.
Very true. male pattern baldness is very complex and inconsistent. Also, NoFap is a cult. Not jerking off will not make you superman. If anything, regular ejaculation actually helps your prostate.