Treatment of male pattern baldness.... results from 1988!

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Topical would be better than internal, IMO.

Thought to use flax oil, but it really seems topical fish oil would be better since the body inefficiently converts alpha linoleic acid to EPA & DHA. That maine-omega one posted above seems like a decent candidate. The flavoring additive should work against the fish smell. At the end of the day who gives a sh*t about the smell. Just put on a shower cap and eventually youd grow to ignore it. Put it at night, wash it out in the morning. The very long chain fatty acids, aside from being anti-inflammatory also promote growth of adipose tissue which degrades in balding scalps, so they attack numerous angles. So: fish oil or flax oil, some source of gamma linoleic acid, and a fatty acid which promotes the absorption of these, such as the oleic acid as found in olive oil and I believe emu oil, and you should have a decent topical. Olive oil is the cheaper of the two, and is high enough in oleic acid, should make a fine carrier oil. Maybe some essential oil of lavender and tea tree, for the antiandrogen side of things.

Jacob

Reaction score
Topical..reminds me of something I posted years ago about such oils being absorbed(and used by the body...not just the skin) when applied topically.

And it also reminds me of Elsom's krill-based nanosomes:

QuantumLipoâ„¢ is a quantum leap forward in topical innovation and nano-formulation. It is made with Krillosomesâ„¢, which is our trademark name for Nanosomesâ„¢ made with oil-free high-purity phosphatidylcholine (PC) derived from krill and purified and de-odorized by our proprietary process. Unlike other natural PC, krill PC is extremely high in EPA and DHA fatty acids which are part of the phospholipid and are not in the form of tri-glycerides (oil) as are normal EPA and DHA fatty acids. Being part of a phospholipid makes these fatty acids extremely potent for topical penetration. Being formulated into Nanosomesâ„¢ makes these phospholipids most potent and powerful topicals in their penetration and activity. Some of the raw material's natural athaxanthine (red-orange carotenoid) is included in the Krillosomesâ„¢ for extra support in anti-oxidative preservation. The saturated triglycerides (krill oil), commonly present in oral krill-oil products, are excluded.

So thanks for reminding me of that. Now if I could just win some $.....

Here they talk about Echium oil being used topically: http://www.bioriginal.com/services/files/echium_skin_health.pdf

http://www.dweckdata.com/Published_papers/Echium.pdf

Cranberry seed oil would be another...contains tocos...phospholipids..etc

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The Natural said:
LOL! Dude, I know exactly where I am :) .

Know where you are too: about 5-6 years behind me, if you think that anything other than this Primrose oil variable will result in sustained hair regrowth. The other oils have been tried (including the sesamin) unsuccessfully, unfortunately.

LOL cool. The Natural.. I am 5-6 years behind you ok LOL you have no idea!! this stack is just an add on.. not really a cure.. Like everybody here is looking for.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
f*** GLA. Just stick with alot of omega 3 fish oils...

GLA is too widely disputed about any benefits provided at all.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jacob, my pleasure.

I believe topical is the way to go, whether it's antiandrogen, oils, laser therapy, dermarolling / wounding, growth boosting formulations, formulations support adipose tissue, etc. How much of whatever supplements you eat or oil you take are making it to the therapeutic target site in your scalp? Where systemic approaches are superior the side effects are often unbearable. Eg: minoxidil is superior for hair taken orally but the sides are not so good.

^ Even omega threes have contraindications. Omega 3 lowers Sex Hormone Binding Globulin for example. Omega 3 definitely important, but I've seen results on those who focused on a source of GLA as well in conjunction with w3. The study in the OP used pure evening primrose and obtained some result. Of course they don't state the level of results, but if it is inhibiting beard growth it should have at least some effect on the hair on your head. Could be the sources they were using were imbalanced with the wrong omega 6's that had pro inflammitory interactions which is why we are getting contradictory reports. You don't want too much linoleic acid for example. Maybe they suspended their evening oil in the wrong carrier oil.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
To the Editor:

The abuse of androgenic steroids persists in spite of their known toxic effects. The reported risks of such abuse have not been deemed serious enough by steroid-using athletes to diminish their use. Indeed, the credibility of official warnings about androgen toxicity have been questioned by many users. However, only recently has acute thrombosis been temporally linked to androgenic-steroid abuse.

Such a link has been proposed by reports of the development of nonfatal myocardial infarction and stroke in several athletes using androgens.1 2 3 An additional unreported case has also recently come to light: a 22–year-old college athlete who was using androgenic steroids died suddenly. Postmortem examination revealed acute thrombotic occlusion of the left main and left anterior descending coronary arteries (Simson LR: personal communication). Other reports in nonathletes have linked medically administered androgens to thrombotic complications.4 5 6 The clinical circumstances of these reports suggest that a causal relation between androgens and thrombosis should be investigated.

There is no direct experimental evidence that androgens are thrombogenic in humans. Nevertheless, acute thrombotic events and sudden death may represent an underappreciated, and therefore underreported, risk of androgen abuse. This is suggested in part by experimental data in which animals pretreated with an androgen had higher mortality rates, a greater clot size, and lower vessel-occlusion times in response to thrombotic stimuli than untreated controls.7 8 9 These effects may be mediated through platelet aggregation.

Androgens potentiate platelet aggregation both in vitro and in vivo.10 11 12 Platelet sensitization correlates directly with the concentration and potency of the specific androgen used.11 , 12 Androgens may potentiate platelet aggregation through increased production of thromboxane A2 (a potent platelet aggregator) or, in aortic smooth muscle, a decreased production of prostacyclin (prostaglandin I2, an inhibitor of platelet aggregation).12 13 14

Alterations in coagulation or fibrinolytic proteins may theoretically predispose patients to thrombosis. Several 17-alpha-alkylated androgens have been used therapeutically to influence both systems; however, no association with thrombosis has been reported.15 , 16

Androgens may also predispose patients to thrombosis by increasing collagen and other fibrous proteins in arterial vascular tissue and skin.17 , 18 Functionally, androgens have been linked to an enhancement of vascular reactivity.19 Interestingly, specific androgen receptors have been identified in vascular tissues and the myocardium of several species of animals.20 The function of these receptors is unknown.

Existing evidence is consistent with but does not establish the thrombogenicity of androgenic steroids. Although caution is needed in extrapolating conclusions from indirect data to normal subjects (i.e., athletes using androgens), these findings do provide some insight into possible mechanisms of androgen-associated thrombosis. Further studies are needed to assess the influence of androgenic steroids on thrombotic risk among athletes and the hemostatic mechanisms. The abuse of androgens may diminish if acute thrombotic complications become clearly associated with their uncontrolled use among athletes.

Role of A2 in platelet aggregation

Thromboxane A2 (TXA2), produced by activated platelets, has prothrombotic properties, stimulating activation of new platelets as well as increasing platelet aggregation.

cnlab

Reaction score
Cnlab is the contract manufacture of bulk omega 3 softgel in China. Hire CN Lab to innovate your private label products into the next level.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
What cause PGD2 to go out of whack? Not enuff Prostacyclin (PGI2)??? Prostacyclin is a powerful vasodilator.. PGD2 is a constrictor.. so Minoxidil and Miconazole Nitrate mimics PGI2 :whistle:

http://www.reddymed.com/hdbc_endo.htm

ttallsu339

Reaction score
I just have been reading these forums and noticed yall seem to know what yall are talking about when it comes to Hair Loss. I am a diffuse thinner and have been shedding very rapidly over the past nine months. I am depressed about this stuff. I tried Rogain and Finasteride and they both gave me side effects. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what I can use as an alternative. I see alot of good stuff in this forum , but I am confused on what to take and how to take it? Please help. thanks

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just have been reading these forums and noticed yall seem to know what yall are talking about when it comes to Hair Loss. I am a diffuse thinner and have been shedding very rapidly over the past nine months. I am depressed about this stuff. I tried Rogain and Finasteride and they both gave me side effects. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what I can use as an alternative. I see alot of good stuff in this forum , but I am confused on what to take and how to take it? Please help. thanks

Well try another anti androgen. Or try a smaller dose of finasteride and take for at least a month. Then increase say by 1/4th of the pill and do that for a month. Keep doing this til the sides start. Then if so, cut the 1/4th pill in half and try that for a month. Basically try the most that will give you the least sides. Sometimes even if you a little the sides will go away.

Also try nizoral 2% 3 x's a wk. With no internals you'll likely need it that often.

also try a saw palmetto blend (saw palmetto with others like pygeum, beta sisterol, etc)

Try MSM powder

Also do a b vitamin with biotin.

- - - Updated - - -

Well try another anti androgen. Or try a smaller dose of finasteride and take for at least a month. Then increase say by 1/4th of the pill and do that for a month. Keep doing this til the sides start. Then if so, cut the 1/4th pill in half and try that for a month. Basically try the most that will give you the least sides. Sometimes even if you a little the sides will go away.

Also try nizoral 2% 3 x's a wk. With no internals you'll likely need it that often.

also try a saw palmetto blend (saw palmetto with others like pygeum, beta sisterol, etc)

Try MSM powder

Also do a b vitamin with biotin.

ttallsu339

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I tried doing the smallest amount of finasteride possible and still had sides. I am just real sensitive to that stuff. I tried both propecia and proscar starting at the lowest dose. I think I am screwed. I dont know if the natural treatments would work for me. Does anyone know of any alternate ways you can combat this nasty condition?
Also i plan on getting the nizoral 2%. I also read in the thread about borage oil. So maybe that will help?

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know someone who took borage oil WITH other things and it helped with shedding. But it can cause liver cancer so i say stay away from it. Try black current seed oil has the same active ingredient. But try multiple things nizoral 2% 3x's a week (let it sit for about 7 mins), saw palmetto, black current seed oil, msm, see if those thingsin combo will help.

And for the saw palm try one with a combo of other anti androgens like NOW foods prostate support and take 2 in the morn 2 at night. Also Nioxin vits are good for growth. Not for regrowth but growth.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know someone who took borage oil WITH other things and it helped with shedding. But it can cause liver cancer so i say stay away from it. Try black current seed oil has the same active ingredient. But try multiple things nizoral 2% 3x's a week (let it sit for about 7 mins), saw palmetto, black current seed oil, msm, see if those thingsin combo will help.

Uhhh...that's spelled "black CURRANT seed oil"!! :)

By the way, as I said just a moment ago in another post, the GLA in natural oils doesn't have any effect as a 5a-reductase inhibitor. You have to get it from a chemical company, for it to have any such effect.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for that. Can you say what you mean by you have to get it at a chemical company?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for that. Can you say what you mean by you have to get it at a chemical company?

Generally, the only way I know of to get free-form fatty acids is by way of a chemical company. Revivogen has free-form fatty acids, but they might very well be getting theirs from a chemical company, too.