Topical Cetrizine for Hair Loss instead of Finasteride (Propecia)

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
idk, I think they would have found an association with allergies and hairloss by now. both of my brothers have accelerated hairloss, much worse than my norwood 1/diffuse thinning scenario and neither of them have allergies whatsoever

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It could be one of many causes and everyone is different. finasteride and minoxidil doesn't work for everyone so no reason to believe there is one universal cause for hair loss.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
It could be one of many causes and everyone is different. finasteride and minoxidil doesn't work for everyone so no reason to believe there is one universal cause for hair loss.

I agree, the factors affecting hair loss almost certainly differ from person to person. Makes sense as the severity, shape, age of onset etc is different for everyone, as are the response rates to certain meds or treatments. I do think there could be some form of link to hair loss in certain individuals susceptible to allergies. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone with an allergy is also going to suffer hair loss, and it doesn't mean that those who don't suffer allergies will always have a full head of hair...but for some, there could possibly be a connection.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This is what I am also thinking. I reckon allergies play a part in some people to speed hair loss and in those people, cet might be an option to prevent/regrowth. Maybe this is why some are not seeing any results with cet/water and others (who have allergies) do.

Anyone without an allergy who is seeing results?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, the factors affecting hair loss almost certainly differ from person to person. Makes sense as the severity, shape, age of onset etc is different for everyone, as are the response rates to certain meds or treatments. I do think there could be some form of link to hair loss in certain individuals susceptible to allergies. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone with an allergy is also going to suffer hair loss, and it doesn't mean that those who don't suffer allergies will always have a full head of hair...but for some, there could possibly be a connection.

Spot on! There are many factors contributing to hair loss. The main one of course being genetics but also environmental factors (diet, gym, allergies, pH etc etc) which speed slow down the process. However, people without the male pattern baldness gene are not affected by these environmental factors (hence you see for eg some gym junkies on steroids with hair and others who are completely bald).

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Higher levels of histamine in the bald areas indicates the response of immune system. the question is what causes this reaction? i guess it differs from person to person.

With cetrizine you are just "killing" the symptoms. it could be fungi, bacteria..or whatever that is causing rising of histamine.. You should focus on primary cause of your problem! Thats why cetrizine works for some of you.. Others, that dont have "histamine problem" don't see any improvment.. in fact it could have contra effect!

I think curing male pattern baldness is like solving Rubik's cube. you gotta get all the right pieces on the right place at the right time. And there are different cubes for each person. some more complex than others.

cheers! sory for my poor english.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
in fact it could have contra effect!

bunk...it will not make hair fall out that wasn't destined to in the first place...a lot of people have to get their heads wrapped around that and accept it...."Oh, my hairline was destroyed after taking so and so..."...your hairline was on its way out anyways...period...

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Sparx444, you are wrong. Histamine has important role in protein absortion on the cell level. Too low levels of histamine ( anywhere in our system) can be very bad. it also controls bunch of processes in our body.. So, if your immune system doesnt produce extra histamine its better not to play with the stuff..
It can cause all kind of imbalance in our body.

I didn't say it will kill you hair, i think it sure can accelerate the balding... And we all need time..

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Sparx444, you are wrong. Histamine has important role in protein absortion on the cell level. Too low levels of histamine ( anywhere in our system) can be very bad. it also controls bunch of processes in our body.. So, if your immune system doesnt produce extra histamine its better not to play with the stuff..
It can cause all kind of imbalance in our body.

I didn't say it will kill you hair, i think it sure can accelerate the balding... And we all need time..

You're right about some of that...but you "think" it can accelerate male pattern baldness??? Maybe...but to me that's irrelevant -- it's going to happen anyways....If you're saying it will cause perfectly good hair to fall out that never would have in the first place, well, maybe, maybe not .....at the amount of CET that is in these solutions and the fact it is poured on your head, I reeeeally doubt enough gets into your blood stream to cause this level of toxicity...and for DHT resistant hair to fall out you need levels to be toxic of CET ...and that just isn't happening with these solutions...

maher

Banned
Reaction score
You're right about some of that...but you "think" it can accelerate male pattern baldness??? Maybe...but to me that's irrelevant -- it's going to happen anyways....If you're saying it will cause perfectly good hair to fall out that never would have in the first place, well, maybe, maybe not .....at the amount of CET that is in these solutions and the fact it is poured on your head, I reeeeally doubt enough gets into your blood stream to cause this level of toxicity...and for DHT resistant hair to fall out you need levels to be toxic of CET ...and that just isn't happening with these solutions...

You can't know how efficient is absorbtion of cetirizine topically. Taken oral its metabolises by liver.. Topical goes from tissue to blood directly.

Some of the guys on Bald truth forum reported withdrawal effects after quiting cet.

Im just saying you cant put on your scalp every s**t you read on internet. Im sure it helps someone and thats great. But try to rationally analyse your situation and then act. dont be desperate-

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Higher levels of histamine in the bald areas indicates the response of immune system. the question is what causes this reaction? i guess it differs from person to person.

With cetrizine you are just "killing" the symptoms. it could be fungi, bacteria..or whatever that is causing rising of histamine.. You should focus on primary cause of your problem! Thats why cetrizine works for some of you.. Others, that dont have "histamine problem" don't see any improvment.. in fact it could have contra effect!

I think curing male pattern baldness is like solving Rubik's cube. you gotta get all the right pieces on the right place at the right time. And there are different cubes for each person. some more complex than others.

cheers! sory for my poor english.

Agreed big time. Its all about fixing each and every individual piece, and I sure hope i've found all the missing pieces. I was vitamin D deficient but have been supplementing so I am above average levels now. I have dry skin that is very oily, from excess sebum production, so minoxidil did now work for me, but in fact made my hair worse, with the combination of the alcohol drying out my skin and the oily residue lying on top of my already oily head. I read an article on how molds and fungi can cause hairloss, and heaven forbid those are my worst 2 allergies. So it seems like I have all the odds stacked up against me including very early onset male pattern baldness in my genetics as my dad was bald before his late 20's. I fixed the vitamin D, and am currently getting receiving allergy shots which build up an immunity slowly over time. I also started taking cetirizine in small doses after reading the article on allergens and hairloss, and now seeing this forum really inspired hope for me. Now all I have to fix is DHT production and these overly active sebaceous glands. I am 22 and have had acne since 17 (when I first started noticing my hairloss) and it has never cleared up. I saw a derm and he agreed minoxidil did not work and we are tackling the acne issue now. I recently found out that sebaceous glands love DHT so DHT can actually cause acne. I am 3 months into finasteride and my acne hasn't really gotten any better, but thats not what it is meant to do anyway, but was hoping I may have seen an improvement by now. May look into dutasteride as well as I have no sides with finasteride and if male pattern baldness is this aggressive in my family, I must have overly active 5a reductase enzymes.

PS. I am lactose intolerant as well, just happened in my adulthood, and dairy products carry a large amount of the 5a reductase enzyme.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Really.... Could you please link us to this claim.

yeah, these guys are freakin out wayyyyy to soon....how much damage can this stuff do after a few months??? Nothin...you can buy this stuff like crazy in the store and ingest all day long...my doctor didn't even flinch when I said that CET helps to control these hive breakouts I used to get --- he just said take the stuff, without any warning at all...

the important thing at this stage is to show that CET does something...and based on quite a few reports on this thread, it definately does...for me, unfortunately, nothin...

Diamond Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah Sparx... its hilarious at times to read some of these posts from guys that know all about Cet but have yet to try it. I've read posts at other sites where some self proclaimed expert gives an opinion on why Cet won't work but when reports come in that Cet is working for people the "expert" starts with nonsense.

Reaction score
yeah, these guys are freakin out wayyyyy to soon....how much damage can this stuff do after a few months??? Nothin...you can buy this stuff like crazy in the store and ingest all day long...my doctor didn't even flinch when I said that CET helps to control these hive breakouts I used to get --- he just said take the stuff, without any warning at all...

the important thing at this stage is to show that CET does something...and based on quite a few reports on this thread, it definately does...for me, unfortunately, nothin...

How long have been using it? I think these almost miraculous results are from guys with recent hair loss. I'd stick with it for a few more months.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
How long have been using it? I think these almost miraculous results are from guys with recent hair loss. I'd stick with it for a few more months.

I agree with you on the "recent hairloss" thing...I am aggressively diffuse thinning and receding temporal...backend vertex is slippin away fast...

I've been at it for about 2.5 months...but not twice/day the whole time...recently been applying to the backend vertex twice/day....my frontal area is bailing ship fast...

pexcornel

Reaction score
Hello guys.
Longtime lurker here :)
I started topical CET some days ago, I did the mix myself with Aller Tec. Unlike you guys, the pills completely dissolved and I have nothing at the base of the distilled water I've used. I used 100ml with 100 pills. The mix is milky and it dry very fast and makes the skin very dry, the surface is basically solid with the CET, like a skin astringent. Is this ok?
Thanks!

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the argument that people have been making recently that everyone's different and have different factors affecting their hairloss is bs. If you are unaware, men tend to lose their hair in identical patterns(horseshoe shape). If that claim was true, we'd see men losing their hair in characteristically different ways like for instance, hairloss on the sides rather than the top. How often do you see a man losing hair on the sides as opposed to the top?